PDA

View Full Version : I can't stand the way they shoot the players' serves.

Golden Retriever
11-20-2004, 11:22 AM
First they shoot a closeup of the player tossing the ball and then they cut to a long shot of the whole court. They do it every single time so you don't have a continuous look at the entire serving motion. Actually the best camera angle to see how the pros really hit the ball would be at the eye level of the players shooting from the corners of the court but they never ever shoot from that angle (except for the French Open, once in a full moon.) Are they doing that on purpose so that the TV viewers won't be able to learn how the pros hit the ball. Is it some kind of conspiracy going on here?

camelF4i
11-20-2004, 11:33 AM
First they shoot a closeup of the player tossing the ball and then they cut to a long shot of the whole court. They do it every single time so you don't have a continuous look at the entire serving motion. Actually the best camera angle to see how the pros really hit the ball would be at the eye level of the players shooting from the corners of the court but they never ever shoot from that angle (except for the French Open, once in a full moon.) Are they doing that on purpose so that the TV viewers won't be able to learn how the pros hit the ball. Is it some kind of conspiracy going on here?

Hehe, i'm not sure about a conspiracy but you can go to any of the tournaments and bring your own camcorder. Any of the digital camcorders nowadays can zoom in so it's like he's standing right next to you even if you have the furthest seat in the stadium.

kobun
11-20-2004, 12:01 PM
Yes, i also hate how they change the view right when they serve.
They should change it right after contact. Or keep one strait camera view. I'm trying to analyze here! ii DATA~.

david7410
11-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I can't stand how they do that either. It must be a new trend, because they don't do it in all of the older matches I've been watching on DVD.

Datacipher
11-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I can't stand how they do that either. It must be a new trend, because they don't do it in all of the older matches I've been watching on DVD.

No, not a new trend. Been around forever. In fact just a week ago, I was watching some of my matches from the 1991 Grand Slam Cup and noted how they did that on every single serve in one of the matches, often cutting to the overhead view late, you could not really see the serve clearly at all....just the return. Just another example of how many TV broadcasters don't understand tennis.