PDA

View Full Version : Federer - Safin, exelent match

b.
11-20-2004, 01:07 PM
They were really phenomenal.

By the way, somebody knows - what is resolution (preciseness) of electronic system that can show ball flight and contact with floor?

Is it radar, or something optical?

Thanks

Fred The Red
11-20-2004, 02:00 PM
yeah,

the end of the math was really a thriller :shock:

:arrow: Legendary tiebreak

bring on the final... :!:

Moumine
11-20-2004, 02:09 PM
That tie-break was the stuff of legend.

Loved the way Federer handled the bad call which would have given him the match, and Safin showing his emotion on the double-fault.

Tippety-toppety tennis.

finchy
11-20-2004, 03:06 PM
somone upload this on BT PLEASE!!!!!!!!

SydW
11-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Yes it was an amazing tie break. Each saved tons of sp/mp, both have nerves of steel and were determined to win, great to watch.

Roger showed his class again today, not one complain on a terrible bad call on his match point TB, folllowed by another overruled from umpire on a close call on another match point without even one words to the umpire.

Line calls are just awful today, some on Safin as well though none as crucial as the one Roger had.

perfmode
11-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Safin will be #2 next year if he can keep this up. There's no doubt about it. He's seriously the only guy on tour who can do that to Roger. Damn, that was a good tiebreak. It was a third set in itself.

Jayzzz
11-20-2004, 08:55 PM
WOW! I'm speechless. That was one AMAZING tiebreaker. Both players showed alot of heart and tenacity. Safin kept his cool quite well, despite missing many "easy" forehand returns.

ChiefAce
11-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Moya said Federer was better than Pete, better than Andre. Not a bad thing for Roger to hear things like that from a guy who has played both of those greats at peaks in their careers.

perfmode
11-20-2004, 09:05 PM
WOW! I'm speechless. That was one AMAZING tiebreaker. Both players showed alot of heart and tenacity. Safin kept his cool quite well, despite missing many "easy" forehand returns.

What tiebreak? Do you mean the third set?

ShooterMcMarco
11-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Safin will be #2 next year if he can keep this up. There's no doubt about it. He's seriously the only guy on tour who can do that to Roger. Damn, that was a good tiebreak. It was a third set in itself.

yeah, safin was the only guy in the top 10 that actually gave fed a hard time. if safin isn't streaky he'll be #2 in no time. both of these players were amazing to watch, i'm glad i set the recorder because i had a long *** wait at the buca di beppo restaurant. too many high schoolers because of their tolo dance. this is also the first time i seen mirka get out of her chair :lol:

Jayzzz
11-20-2004, 09:27 PM

Tiebreak was in 2nd set.

bobby
11-20-2004, 09:44 PM

Tiebreak was in 2nd set.

I think that perfmode is referring to the length of the tiebreaker, i.e. it was nearly a whole set in duration.

camelF4i
11-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Way to go Safin!!

Sometimes, even when you lose you can still feel satisfied. Cause you know the match made you even stronger.

BreakPoint
11-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Like Federer said after the match, that tiebreak reminded me of the Borg-McEnroe 1980 Wimbledon final 4th set tiebreak. Both players had multiple set points or match points. However, that one "only" went on to 18-16. Tonight's went to, what, 20-18? Even Fed said he was thinking of the Borg-McEnroe tiebreak during his and Safin's tiebreak. The big difference for me was, during the 1980 Borg-McEnroe tiebreak, I was rolling on the floor cringing with suspense and tearing my hair out. Tonight I wasn't. Hey, I was a lot younger back then. :lol: :wink:

Both tiebreaks were absolute classics.

perfmode
11-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Way to go Safin!!

Sometimes, even when you lose you can still feel satisfied. Cause you know the match made you even stronger.

Yea, it looked like Safin was proud of himself even though he lost. He really tested Fed in that tiebreak like no other player could. Can't wait for the inevitable Aussie Open showdown.

ShooterMcMarco
11-21-2004, 01:32 AM
Like Federer said after the match, that tiebreak reminded me of the Borg-McEnroe 1980 Wimbledon final 4th set tiebreak. Both players had multiple set points or match points. However, that one "only" went on to 18-16. Tonight's went to, what, 20-18? Even Fed said he was thinking of the Borg-McEnroe tiebreak during his and Safin's tiebreak. The big difference for me was, during the 1980 Borg-McEnroe tiebreak, I was rolling on the floor cringing with suspense and tearing my hair out. Tonight I wasn't. Hey, I was a lot younger back then. :lol: :wink:

Both tiebreaks were absolute classics.

tonight, i was cringing in suspense and my jaw hit the ground. but back in 1980, i was rolling around in my mom's womb, then i found myself choked with my own umbilical cord.

pound cat
11-21-2004, 02:16 AM
Safin's final comment about the tie-break...

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51770381.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2 399169AC85D6DE7F9CD95D1136523275F3D3CCD9FCF010621B 2AC3A62513D3

pound cat
11-21-2004, 02:26 AM
Federer said "We were pushing each other to the limits", and anyone who can push Roger to the limits can also beat Roger, more than just occasonally. Safin finished the year with 3 titles, the most money he's ever earned in 1 year (over $2 million US, and he should have a ton of confidence coming into 05. And it's great that Marat has finally found a sympatico coach.