PDA

View Full Version : Roddick's strategies, he should have....

ibemadskillzz
11-20-2004, 04:55 PM
I think Andy can have more success by staying back more, using his big forehand & serve like he did when he won US Open. The only time roddick should come to the net is when he is sure that he can put the ball away. I remember in US OPEN 2003- when he won it, he did not come up to the net that much, after that, Brad Gilbert forced him to play at the net more. His points won at net percentage is not that high and wasn't when he lost against Hewitt today, he could have won those lost points by staying at the baseline. It's good to work on your weakness(volleys) but using just your strengths to win is a good way too.

Fee
11-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Well, I wouldn't use today's match against Hewitt to assess Andy's game. I haven't seen him play that badly in a long time, it was an anomaly in my opinion. It was just one of those days when nothing was working very well and his go to shots got up and went. I know what those days are like (I call them Wednesday and Saturday :D ).

Dirky
11-20-2004, 07:31 PM
He should have hit the ball harder and if that didn't work then HIT IT EVEN HARDER!!!!!!!!!! ;)

ragnaROK
11-20-2004, 08:56 PM
he should have....

stayed at home :D

Jayzzz
11-20-2004, 09:01 PM
He should of not given up. After Hewitt broke his serve for the first time he basically shut down. I'm disappointed. I thought he'd at least fight back with all he had. A true champion would fight back no matter how far down he is. I think Andy should check his ego in at the door before entering the stadium.

rafael
11-20-2004, 09:04 PM
No he played the right strategy just didn't execute it well. Hewitt's back court game is superior to Andy's. Roddick's volley was just really off today. He should have also tried hitting shots with a lot more top spin, as high bouncing balls give hewitt trouble.

JohnThomas1
11-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Hewitt was too good today end of story. He got flogged :)

Max G.
11-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Yep. ...I think Andy's coming to net was crucial to his round-robin win over Henman, and I'd guess over Safin too. He just couldn't execute against Hewitt... but he'll get better.

prince
11-21-2004, 05:51 AM
im in no way an andy fan but that was a learning experience for him - good try though . he sticked with coming in - with a big match like this - im pretty sure he learned a lot .
He just needs to do it time and time again and later on it will pay off................ but not against fed .....

Vlad
11-21-2004, 07:20 AM
I think Roddick was simply OUTCLASSED out there. He has no chance from the baseline against players like Hewitt and he knows that, so when that didn't work he went to net and got passed every time or missed few volleys.
In Coria match, Roddick was outplayed from the baseline for the most of the first set as well and whenever he held his serve it was because of his big bombs, while Coria was just outhitting and outsmarting him.
I think his problem against these kind of players is that he takes the ball so late off the ground, I mean he doesn't hit it on the rise as well as other top players and that was the difference. He needed time to set up his shots and Lleyton did not allow it to happen.

davey25
11-23-2004, 06:15 AM
I agree he should have stayed at the baseline. His volleying is not good enough against players who pass well. Federer has admitted to being scared to come in against Hewitt and Federer is a much better volleyer than Roddick, so if Federer can't obviously Roddick cant. In the Wimbledon final against a sluggish Federer this year he seemed to be overpowering Federer from the baseline alot but came in to net on crucial points and kept getting passed. He should stop coming in against people that pass well since his volleying and net coverage isnt good enough against those people.

Rickson
11-23-2004, 06:19 AM
agreed.

VamosRafa
11-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Just to play Devil's advocate here (as if I never do) . . .

But while I was watching the Roddick vs. Henman match, and I was surprised by two things: Andy's volleys and his backhand.

Now his forehand was off, and his serves weren't as good as they can be, but he was sticking the shots he never used to make. What was with that? :lol:

It's probably hard to get it all together at one time, and I think that's what Andy is trying to do. He's obviously working on the backhand and the S&V, and perhaps neglecting his go-to shots a bit.

But that's a far cry from the one-shot wonder many people were calling him a year or so ago.

It's funny to hear people saying he should go back to his one- or two-shot ways. And I'm sure he will. He likely is looking for balance, trying to figure out when to come in, when to stay back, and he's trying it all out.

I think he's a player in transition right now, which he has to be, if he's going to remain competitive. He's gaining experience, and I think, at this point, most of it is aimed at facing Roger in the future. He knows what he has to do to beat him, and it ain't going to be easy.

But playing on a big stage doesn't phase him anymore. He's used to that. The key will be getting his FH, BH, Volleys and Serve working all at the same time, and choosing the right shots. If he does that, he could beat Roger, and certainly any other player out there. I don't think he has a short-term game plan; he's looking toward the future.