PDA

View Full Version : Finally the Rivalry we have all been waiting for. *spoiler*

rafael
11-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Federer vs Safin was an awesome match. Probably my favorite match of the year. All year I have been hoping to see what an in form Safin could really do against an in form Federer and finally we got to see it.

There were close calls for both players and both players handled it relatively well. Safin threw at Federer all the power that roddick did at wimbledon but with a more complete game and was able keep pace with Federer's genius.

The match had everything - touch, power, control, emotion and drama. Hopefully Safin will come away from this match with boat loads of confidence to compete with Federer next year.

Jayzzz
11-20-2004, 10:04 PM
I agree. I also think Safin has grown up alot, as evident by his poise and collectiveness during that tiebreaker. I expected him to break his racket and cuss in Russian when he lost that nailbiting tiebreaker, but instead he accepted his defeat and embraced Roger. His game has always been there, but now his head is in the right place, too. GO SAFIN!!!

KoolAidMan
11-20-2004, 10:04 PM
That tie break was really something fun to see. I hope that next year, Safin really concentrates and contends for the number one spot against Federer.

BreakPoint
11-20-2004, 10:23 PM
It seemed to me that Safin had the set on his racquet numerous times during that tiebreak and ended up committing way too many unforced errors, usually dumping makeable shots into the net. I guess it might have been nerves. However, a very high quality match overall. BTW, how did Federer get away with hitting an "ace" down the middle that was like 6 inches wide?

Both are obviously extraordinarily talented players, so let's hope they get the chance to play each other plenty of times in '05, perhaps in a few Grand Slam finals?

perfmode
11-20-2004, 10:29 PM
It seemed to me that Safin had the set on his racquet numerous times during that tiebreak and ended up committing way too many unforced errors, usually dumping makeable shots into the net. I guess it might have been nerves. However, a very high quality match overall. BTW, how did Federer get away with hitting an "ace" down the middle that was like 6 inches wide?

Both are obviously extraordinarily talented players, so let's hope they get the chance to play each other plenty of times in '05, perhaps in a few Grand Slam finals?

I'm waiting for the Aussie Open rematch.

SydW
11-21-2004, 05:31 AM
BTW, how did Federer get away with hitting an "ace" down the middle that was like 6 inches wide?

I guess you missed the one much earlier before this at 10-9 match point Roger when Safin got away with a call as bad as the one you mentioned. That match should have been over but of course we were all glad the it didn't now.

Credits to both, none of them complained and kept their focus for the whole tiebreak.

pound cat
11-21-2004, 05:45 AM
Safin came out of that match with confidence all right.This is where he sees himself at the end of season. 2005 should be a great tennis year.

" I was a little bit scared. Of course when it's coming to the point when you're playing against that guy who is same level of you, or maybe little bit better,"

SydW
11-21-2004, 05:48 AM
Before this match, he talked as though he didn't think he can win against Roger unless Roger has a off day. I hope he is thinking differently now. Will be good to see at least one player out of all to give Roger a good match.

AndyC
11-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Yup.. Agassi is the only one who has pushed Fed this year. It's nice to finally see someone else who can push him hard. Now the only question is if Safin has really cracked (pun intended) it mentally :).

!Tym
11-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Yeah, too bad Agassi's starting to get over the hill...no matter how hard he trains from here on out, it's all down hill in terms of his raw athleticism...which was only slightly above average to begin with. I think Agassi's problem was always that he was the best on the ball dictator/striker, but make him move and hit on the run or defend behind the baseline and suddenly he was pretty hapless...a lot of errors into the net. Well not hapless, just not extraordinary, a little above average.

rafael
11-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Fed's strat against Agassi:
Slice a shallow shot agassi's backhand forcing him to the net then hit past/behind him :(.