PDA

View Full Version : how long does it take u to adjust to a new racket??

tnkGod4tns
03-19-2004, 01:17 PM
thanks.

python
03-19-2004, 01:40 PM
To be able to win matches against a similarly skilled player? Maybe 10-15 hours of hitting.

To be absolutely comfortable with every shot? I'd say something like 3 months with at least 5 hours of court time a week.

kreative
03-19-2004, 03:46 PM
depends. sometimes i'll demo a racquet, and know in the first 15 minutes that it isn't for me. other times, i'll play w/ one for about a week and get all the shots. many times thou, if i can groove the frame right away, i'll have most of my shots within an hour.

now playing against a similarly skilled player is more about confidence, and how much confidence you'd put into your skill w/ a racquet after hitting w/ it for a limited time. basically more mental than anything else.

Hit 'em clean
03-19-2004, 04:06 PM
It depends on how much of a departure the new stick is from the old in terms of feel, weight, etc. I would say on average it probably takes most people 30-45 hours of on court practice time to truly be comfortable with a new racquet and understand all of what they can and can't do with it.

If you're just playing matches primarily it will take you probably twice as long.

K!ck5w3rvE
03-19-2004, 10:38 PM
the perfect racquet should not need a changed over period. There will be a small amount of time spent fiddling around with strings and tension, but the perfect frame should feel great relatively quickly.

Morpheus
03-20-2004, 03:26 AM
I can play well with a new racket if it is similar to my old one within reason. If I pick up a HL flexible racket in the 11 to 12 oz range, I good to go. If, on the other hand, I pick up a tweener or snowshoe, I can't play well without a lot of adjustment. When I say "play well" I mean at my normal 4.5 level.

If anything, my weakest shots suffer most--e.g., backhand topspin, drop shots/volleys etc)