PDA

View Full Version : TSN Screws Canadians Yet Again

serveboy
11-21-2004, 12:26 AM
Thanks TSN for showing 1/2 of all this year's Masters Cup matches. You've screwed the Canadian viewer yet again.

For the love of God someone PLEASE BT the Federer Safin match.

raftermania
11-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Tell this to the Ethiopian boy who wishes he had the opportunity to watch a single pro match.

pound cat
11-21-2004, 01:20 PM
What did TSN show? They said they would show the second semi. rds (Ottawa/Montreal) started at 10:30 & said they would show the first semi, but they showed Safin -Federer & I taped that thinking I'd better get it whatever language it was in. Watching it in French is fine. I understand enough to get the gist of what they're saying, but not enough to have it bother me if they''re talking too much.

Trey
11-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Tell this to the Ethiopian boy who wishes he had the opportunity to watch a single pro match.

Yah or the Nicarguan boy who hasn't seen even one televised match of curling.

Oh the humanity 8)

rafael
11-21-2004, 01:54 PM
They are showing fed vs safin match now since houston is rained out at the moment. I have the match recorded at a decent (not great) quality. If andyc doesn't get up a better version I will look into torrenting it.

Jayzzz
11-21-2004, 01:58 PM
They are showing fed vs safin match now since houston is rained out at the moment. I have the match recorded at a decent (not great) quality. If andyc doesn't get up a better version I will look into torrenting it.
I just hope they show the championship match! That's what I'm worried about. Although I am enjoying watching Saf/Fed again.

AndyC
11-21-2004, 02:36 PM
I've got the match, I'm planning on putting up a poll after the final so that folk can pick 2 matches that they would like to see out of the list of matches I got. I managed to miss recording quite a few :(. Blame work!

pound cat
11-21-2004, 02:44 PM
"They are showing fed vs safin match now since houston is rained out at the moment".

But not in Canada which is what this thread is. We get to watch the BIG football final of the year. soon, but now golf! The weather in Houston is supposed to be fine on Wednesday . Hide, Mattress Man, the posse is chasing you.

Datacipher
11-21-2004, 06:34 PM
I just wish we could hear Canadian commentators. While I used to find them totally repulsive, I have since come to look at the upside.

This includes listening to Peter Burwash totally mangle biomechanical analysis with truly idiotic theories and best of all listening to Robert Bettauer(actually a nice guy and former director at Tennis Canada...no bias there!) say things like

"Well right there you really see why Daniel Nestor is SO feared by the top players on the ATP...you can see he put all the pressure on Agassi by giving Andre that short ball and just saying "see if you can pass me"....and you can see, Agassi has SO much respect for Nestor's net coverage that he had no choice but to go right at Nestor and look at the reflexes of Nestor, that ball could have hit him right in the head but wisely he chose to hit the ball with his chest...that's what makes him quite possibly the greatest net player in the world...and as you can see the ball bounced off his chest and ALMOST went across the net for a dropshot winner....that's just PURE talent right there." Daniel REALLY understands how to play the game like only a few players in history have....

Phil
11-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Datacipher - Are you saying that Canadian broadcasters have a tendency to spin events on the court in order to favor their fellow countryman? No way. It's not possible-they're supposed to be professionals, right? I mean, take for example, in another country, Patrick McEnroe...then again, better not...

Datacipher
11-21-2004, 07:39 PM
It's funny Phil but in Canada we like nothing better than to bash Americans for their overzealous patriotism while simultaneously our celebs, public and even politicians take every cheap shot opportunity to insult the US. We have what I call "small country syndrome" lol. The truth is the general Canadian youth population HATES you! They're a little lacking in the 'reasons why" department....usually the given answer will be something like "Americans are so arrogant and they think we live in igloos." "they think they are SO much better than us"...to which I usually say...."actually I think in general they don't think much about us at all....you guys are the ones doing all the "thinking" about them!"

Patty Mac cannot even begin to compete with our guys in the jingoistic commentary department. The above was a slight and Canadian viewers know I mean SLIGHT exaggeration. I've seen Bettauer rave about the talent displayed by Canadian MISHITS. I tell you no lie here!

pound cat
11-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Dataciipher. Do you really make detailed notes on what Petetr Burwash says? That is a bit odd. Don't worry, he only does TS Canada anyway. Intetresting that he's has had such an impact on you. John Barrett on ESPN Intetrnational would be worthy of your comment as well, although i I do like them both.

Phil
11-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Datacipher - It's a shame that Canadian youth has such a negative view of Americans (as opposed to the American GOVERNMENT), regardless of how ill-informed those views are. Hell, we share professional sports leagues, comedians and angry teen/twenty-something female singers...and are relatively similar culturally. And Canada is the US' largest trading partner and posseses N. America's classiest city (Montreal). But...human nature being what it is, sports announcers will find a way to elevate their country's sports stars while marginalizing those of other countries. I think the most professional cadre of announcers, without the jingoism, is the BBC crew-those guys really know their tennis and more importantly, they know when to shut up.

Just be happy you don't have to put up with the screaming (literally), looney and unashamedly nationalistic Japanese announcers...they are the pits. Your "match commentary" of Agassi-vs Nestor is hillarious and reminds me of this, which, although paraphrased, is pretty much what was said following a recent GS match:

"Yes, that was an amazing performance by our Ai-chan. Ai-chan's stamina and will to stay in the point are legendary (yes, he said this), and her ability to focus even in the face of uneven odds, is without rival. Her opponent (Davenport) is slower afoot and not as fit and could not keep up such a pace...Ai will have her day." This said after "Ai-chan" (Sugiyama) was, as usual, pounded into paste by Lindsey Davenport-most of the points were short and most of the shots Ai made were made in desperation and resulted in set-up/putaways for LD.

Capt. Willie
11-21-2004, 08:43 PM
As much as I love tennis I would have gladly traded coverage of the Masters Cup for the Gray Cup. Since moving to Florida a little over a year ago I have not seen one single CFL game. :cry: