PDA

View Full Version : TMC on hard court only is unfair

white_raven0
11-20-2004, 11:43 PM
I think it's unfair for TMC to be on hard court only

the tennis season can pretty much be divided into the clay portion and the hard court portion with the hard court portion a little bit longer

therefore, it's unfair for TMC to be on hard court all the time

TMC should be randomly chosen to be on hard court or clay every year

Marius_Hancu
11-21-2004, 12:59 AM
I think it's unfair for TMC to be on hard court only

the tennis season can pretty much be divided into the clay portion and the hard court portion with the hard court portion a little bit longer

therefore, it's unfair for TMC to be on hard court all the time

TMC should be randomly chosen to be on hard court or clay every year

you have a point but it's the tradition that has dictated that until now, also the fact that they normally play indoors, where there's carpet or HC usually.

if you have enough pull with the ATP, try to convince them:-))

!Tym
11-21-2004, 02:52 AM
I agree, but it's the scheduling. It used to make more sense I feel before because it was the logical culmination of the lightning fast (surface) indoor season.

Back then the indoor season was ruled by the big servers almost entirely, because the carts were either indoor carpet or much faster than they are now.

Looking back, those courts seemed to play at lightning speed, the balls would just shoot through them. It's really quite noticeable to me the difference in the court speed compared to today.

I think that this used to be a good move, because there was no true indoor slam, and to me playing indoors is VASTLY different from playing outdoors. It's a unique playing condition in and of itself, and one many recreational players are forced to play in during the winter months all around the world...so many can relate to the unique playing conditions of indoor tennis.

However, now that they've significantly slowed the indoor surfaces down (remember how in the early to mid 90s there was soooo much whining about how the indoor courts were giving too much of an unfair advantage to the big servers?), removed the carpet surface and gone to far more granular hard-court type treatments. This has definitely evened the playing field, though anyone whose played indoors knows that it's still always tilted in favor of bigger hitters and or flatter ball strikers/net rushers (far easier to execute cleanly indoors due to the lack of natural elements to fuss, fret, and deal with) to me the indoor season has lost its unique niche and marque value as a distinct different part of the season (i.e. clay, grass, hard courts, and indoors all used to add quite a bit of distinct flavor to the year which I found refreshing).

To me the marque value of the indoor season is no longer the same now that they've tried so hard to take out what made it unique in the first place (the lightning bolt quick conditions). NOW, allowing the Masters Cup to be played in Houston OUTDOORS for two straight nears in a row has been the ultimate travesty to me. To me, this has SIGNIFICANTLY cheapened the value of the Masters Cup. It's almost like just another generic, outdoor hard court event now. Where's the prestige and regal valour and flavor of the ol' days in Germany? Where's the tradition of having a fitting and proper conlcusion to the indoor season? Ever allowing the TMC to go outdoors was a huge mistake. We've needed an indoor slam forever, and this was the closest thing to it...such a shame.

The aura is just not the same anymore. The fact that the Houston venue itself lacks any real aura is a shame.

But I regress. I think that if they're going to be this lenient in their policies, they SHOULD alternate between a clay court TMC event as well. To be honest, three of the four slams plus the masters cup are all tilted to favoring faster court players in my opinion; and this really isn't fair. If they're going to take away and sell out the prestige and tradition of the pseudo indoor slam (TMC), then might as well for once give the clay courters a second crown jewel tournament besides just the French to have a shot on. Only, I would do it differently.

I would make it INDOOR red clay. I think this would be the ultimate FAIR challenge for EVERYONE and EVERY style of play and player. Indoor conditions strongly favor net rushers, big servers, and flatter hitters because it's easier to time and track the ball. However, clay obviously strongly favors rugged baseliners. I think we'd be in for an amazing treat if this were to ever happen. For once, there could be no complaints of the surface unfairly favoring one or the other.

I think clay obviously favors the rugged baseliner too much, and Wimbledon and indoor courts the fast courter too much. Outdoor hard, however, will always at minimum slightly favor faster court players more. So, this would be the only true marque event that absolutely was fair to everyone.

The only problem would be that none of the top players would have any real preparation for playing under such conditions as indoor clay. There are no indoor clay tournaments anywhere, ever...let alone leading right up to the fifth grand slam of the year (never bought that whole bit about the Lipton being the fifth slam...NO, it's just a regular old tennis masters series event with a little more prestige...it's still pretty much just a regular tournament when you really get down to it).

However, since the Masters Cup is the most exclusive event in tennis; it's distinctly separate from the indoor season which is open to all "regular average Joe" players. As such, it could work.

Anyway, if this were to ever go down; I think we would see some truly monumental battles with the world's elite with nothing to whine about (not even bad calls, since clays leaves a mark). Big servers and big spinners would all be on even ground. JUST ONCE in my life, I would like to see a truly FAIR surface/playing condition. All the better with the top 8 and/or grand slam winners.

Marius_Hancu
11-21-2004, 03:04 AM
The aura is just not the same anymore. The fact that the Houston venue itself lacks any real aura is a shame.

Amen to it.

There are much better arenas in US (Key Biscayne, Indian Wells) or world wide.

But those in Houston came up with the money and it seems that the players' facilities are outstanding.