PDA

View Full Version : How to beat Federer.

Power Game
11-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Safin just showed us how to beat Federer.
1. Smack is kickserves to his backhand robbing him of time.
2. Hit your forehands and backhands as hard as you can to Federers backhand
3. DON'T MISS the easy short balls to your forehand

Missing a couple of easy forehands lost the set for Safin. There was no reason that the match didn't go to 3 sets. Safin even had a couple of easy chances to go up 2 breaks.

Rabbit
11-21-2004, 08:08 AM
I figure the best way to be Federer is with a stick.

annihilatorpro
11-21-2004, 08:22 AM
^I concur with Rabbit

SydW
11-21-2004, 08:57 AM
Safin just showed us how to beat Federer.
1. Smack is kickserves to his backhand robbing him of time.
2. Hit your forehands and backhands as hard as you can to Federers backhand
3. DON'T MISS the easy short balls to your forehand

Missing a couple of easy forehands lost the set for Safin. There was no reason that the match didn't go to 3 sets. Safin even had a couple of easy chances to go up 2 breaks.

Federer had a chance to go up a break on first service game of Safin second set but missed easy volley at break points. Not to mention being robbed twice in the tie break on his match points. If that had happened, you wouldn't be here saying that last paragragh.

Safin had done lots of things right on this match, unfortunately Roger defence, the most underrated part of his game was too good. Many times, Safin could have won the points easily against others but with Roger, that just didn't happen.

But Safin did show he can match up with Federer and we can expect good matches from them in future, if Safin continues to have his head screwed on nicely like yesterday.

Lambsscroll
11-21-2004, 09:10 AM
Well, Marat should do it soon because Fed's backhand is getting better and better he he.

Aoya
11-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Safin shows he can rock a Fedex truck quite nicely. I expect great things from him in the future. GO MARAT.

Power Game
11-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Well, Marat should do it soon because Fed's backhand is getting better and better he he.

Yeah, but its not getting better than Marat's backhand.
Marat's backhand is the best in the game, I mean how many people do you see run around thier forehands to hit a backhand?

perfmode
11-21-2004, 11:23 AM

Yeah, but its not getting better than Marat's backhand.
Marat's backhand is the best in the game, I mean how many people do you see run around thier forehands to hit a backhand?

Federer will definitely improve his backhand a lot next year but I don't think it'll get better than Safin's. Safin's DTL BH was actually neutralizing Fed's big FH. I think Fed** vs. Safin is the next big rivalry for sure.

Too bad Safin can't stop Fed from winning another Wimbledon. :lol:

Lambsscroll
11-21-2004, 12:36 PM
"Yeah, but its not getting better than Marat's backhand"

As we can already see it doesn't need to be better but if it gets better as time goes on, it makes it harder on Marat.

finchy
11-21-2004, 12:53 PM
I think Marat vs. Safin is the next big rivalry for sure.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhht............

perfmode
11-21-2004, 12:54 PM
4. Hit out and just bang the hell out of every ball. Hit with laser accuracy to both corners and run him nonstop. Make sure you paint the lines on everyshot and hit backhands blindfolded. Then, hide his tennis bag so he has to use the same racquet until it breaks.

I found it really interesting when Federer had to sit down behind the linesman for a few seconds after Safin finished running him around with smashes and volleys. That's probably the most fun FedEx has had with clothes on in a loong time.

!Tym
11-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Safin's down the line backhand has always been his best weapon since way back when he first shocked Agassi at the French as an unknown and played that ravishing match with Pioline in the quarters.

It just zaps you, changes the direction of the ball and sends it down the line like a frozen rope. And with his timing and the leverage he gets from just plain being an enormous guy, it's killer.

Coria can do the same, and with a very similar stroking technique/striking motion/timing; but it's like comparing a flyweight to a heavyweight. The lightweight tickles, the heavy weight stuns.

The Ripper
11-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I noticed Federer back there having a seat too after that long rally, what a surprise! I frankly thought he was in better shape than that. On the other hand, I had forgotten how good Federer's defense is - incredible! He's probably a better retriever than Hewitt and does it with grace and seemingly :wink: little effort.

I think Marat may have a chance of beating Fed, but as someone else said, he'll have to get and keep his head together and come up with some all court magic. His down the line shots are definitely his best weapon; although Fed had answers to most of them. I think it could be a great rivalry. Other than that, who? Berdych? 8)

K!ck5w3rvE
11-21-2004, 09:12 PM
I think Marat vs. Safin is the next big rivalry for sure.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhht............

Who is then? This is an awesome match-up, because they are both so talented. Safin is a much more talented player than Roddick, Hewitt etc and he is the only player to go close to challenging Fedex.

Phil
11-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Who is then? This is an awesome match-up, because they are both so talented. Safin is a much more talented player than Roddick, Hewitt etc and he is the only player to go close to challenging Fedex.

You forgot "Tiger" Tim Henman, who BEAT Fed earlier this year. I think Henman could still give him a game, at least in the early rounds of a tournement. In a final or semi? Forget it.

BreakPoint
11-21-2004, 09:55 PM
[

I do. Honest. It's more consistent and I can hit it just as hard as my forehand, if not harder (one-handed backhand). I think Venus Williams may also run around the forehand to hit her backhand.

serveboy
11-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Um, give Sampras a youth tonic and we've got ourselves a Federer slayer.

With Sampras there is no match. You play his game. All you do is react.

Yes, I believe Sampras can beat Federer, but in my mind Federer is surely the second best player I have ever seen.

The Ripper
11-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Henman is looking good. I just rewatched his match with Roddick in Houston. He played extremely well, better than he ever has. Maybe he can take it up another notch or two and be a top 3 player. I like Tim, so I'm rooting for him!!

perfmode
11-22-2004, 03:26 AM

Yes, I believe Sampras can beat Federer, but in my mind Federer is surely the second best player I have ever seen.

Sampras sure looked overwhelmed during the '01 wimby match. Federer just started to blossom and was playing in godmode.

spam
11-22-2004, 04:50 AM
Rabbit LOL!Is that stick made out of Kryptonite?

perfmode
11-22-2004, 05:06 AM
Henman is looking good. I just rewatched his match with Roddick in Houston. He played extremely well, better than he ever has. Maybe he can take it up another notch or two and be a top 3 player. I like Tim, so I'm rooting for him!!

I like his style. I hope he does well next year. Maybe he can inspire some young Brits to take up all-court games.

antontd
11-22-2004, 07:04 AM

Sampras sure looked overwhelmed during the '01 wimby match. Federer just started to blossom and was playing in godmode.

Hewitt leads 5-4 against Pete. Does that mean he is a better player?

@wright
11-22-2004, 07:18 AM
I would just do what Boris Becker has suggested and take Fed out the night before the match and get him drunk.

Dirky
11-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Pete lost in Queen's plenty of times, but beating Pete at Wimbledon is something special. They both played very well and it's a shame someone had to lose.

antontd
11-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Pete is more skilled, but if they meet Federer would win. Roger has better passing shots, strategy and anticipation.

perfmode
11-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Pete is more skilled, but if they meet Federer would win. Roger has better passing shots, strategy and anticipation.

If Fed could keep him at the basline, he'd beat Pete. Fed's GS's are so much better.

antontd
11-22-2004, 11:42 AM

If Fed could keep him at the basline, he'd beat Pete. Fed's GS's are so much better.

True, Pete would serve and volley on every serve and not let Federer hit more than 1 shot. Sampras still has to play well at the baseline - charging the net when receiving is almost suicidal. Also he should go for his shots; continuous rallies with Federer are hopeless.
Damn, I want to see that game.

serveboy
11-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Pete is the best at playing with the odds.

His game boils down to him having much better odds at breaking the opponents serve than the opponent does of breaking his serve.

Yes, Rogers grounstrokes are sublime. In a baseline grinder he would beat Pete. The thing is the only time he will get to use his fabulous groundstrokes on Pete's serve is on returns and passing shots. Pete's serve placement/power/spin would neutralize his incredible talent 99% of the time.

So, Pete's serve is secure.

Now Rogers service game. There won't be any long rallies. Pete's unforced errors will be way up there. Eventually he will string up a few winners and break Roger's serve. It's the way he always does it.

Bottomline: no one beats Pete. He either wins (most of the time) or he loses the match.

ohplease
11-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Against the best players, what both Sampras and Federer do (did) very, very well is execute offense from allegedly defensive positions. Against players with offensive arsenals marginally less lethal than those in the top 10, they both hung around and waited for their chances to upshift to that level for the requisite service break. But unlike almost everyone else at the top of their respective eras, they don't wait their turn to strike.

Anyway, the original question is how to beat Federer. Here are his 6 loses this year:

Rotterdam - Henman, Tim: 3-6 6-7(11)
Miami - Nadal, Rafael: 3-6 3-6
Rome - Costa, Albert: 6-3 3-6 2-6
French - Kuerten, Gustavo: 4-6 4-6 4-6
Cinci Hrbaty, Dominik: 6-1 6-7(7) 4-6
Olympics, Berdych, Tomas: 6-4 5-7 5-7

It seems that every once in a while, someone's offensive game plan can work well enough to beat him (Henman). Otherwise, you've got to grind out big, neutralizing, ball control groundies to keep him from quick striking the ball right back at/past you (Nadal, Costa, Kuertan, Hrbaty - Nalbandian in the past).

tomahawk
11-22-2004, 02:32 PM
If I had to pick someone to beat Federer, it would no doubt have to be Marat Safin. After watching him play Federer in the Semi's, Safin has the right game to counteract Federer's strengths. The reason why I think Henman does well against Federer is because there are so many baseliners that when a Serve-volleyer comes by, it takes a while to get used to it and Henman catches people off guard. But if I had to pick one person, it would be Safin.

Marius_Hancu
11-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Marat's backhand is the best in the game, I mean how many people do you see run around their forehands to hit a backhand?

Not that many, but I saw a Canadian junior doing just that on a quite regular basis on service returns (!) in a recently completed national indoor tournament here in Montreal. And he's only 5'10" but has an amazing backhand, often times airborne. He was one of the finalists in a senior tournament and he's 17.

And he is doing that with 1H BH!. Amazing shoulder and technique. His name is Bruno Agostinelli and he was ranked 16 overall in Canada. Let's hope he will continue to make progress.

fastdunn
11-22-2004, 04:29 PM
At this point, huge serve-and-volleys of 90's could at least some
troubles to Federer. Krajicek, Ivanesvich, Ruseski, Stich types.
Even Sampras did not have much choice when these guys were
having a good day... They would just blow any objects off the court....