PDA

View Full Version : Doubles Spoiler

Rabbit
11-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Congrats to the Bryan Brothers for two-peating as Master's Cup Doubles Champions. The whole round robin thing appeared to backfire as the #1 and #2 seeds played in the semis, but Black and Ullyett held their own very admirably in the final. I was really hoping that Woodbride/Bjorkman would make it, but such was not to be.

The Bryans won 4-6,7-5,6-4,6-2 in a rain delayed match that ended late last night. TTC never left coverage and stuck with the match until it ended.

Aoya
11-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Rabbit, did you see all of the match?

I watched doubles with Nestor/Knowles and Bryan Bros yest-yesterday, and I found it VERY exciting, even more so than most singles. The fast paced action, the poaching, the strategy, the insane angle shot making, WOW.

Sorry, I don't watch doubles a lot.

Rabbit
11-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Yep. I tried to catch as much of the dubs as I could. The Black/Ullyett match against Woodbridge/Bjorkman was weird. Woodbridge/Bjorkman were up a break with a beak point to go up two breaks and then only won two more games in the match.

You're right though, doubles has some really exciting exchanges. I hung with the finals until past 11 last night though.

Emma Knightley
11-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Rabbit, did you see all of the match?

I watched doubles with Nestor/Knowles and Bryan Bros yest-yesterday, and I found it VERY exciting, even more so than most singles. The fast paced action, the poaching, the strategy, the insane angle shot making, WOW.

Sorry, I don't watch doubles a lot.

what is poaching?

AndyC
11-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Poaching is where the net player moves across to (hopefully) put away an easy winner of the cross court return after the serve. This does leave the down the line shot though the server usually attempts to cover this.

Aoya
11-21-2004, 03:26 PM
The Bryan brothers are excellent at poaching, often slamming the ball so high it hits the bleachers..on a volley. Personally, I think they would make great singles players, excellent volleyers, and a powerful serve.

baseliner
11-22-2004, 06:22 AM
Rabbit, I watched the doubles via TTC also. Bryans played extremely well. Almost looked like they turned it on when needed. PMac seemed to enjoy the match as much as I did. Kudos to TTC for sticking with it throughout the rain.