PDA

View Full Version : STOP POSTING RESULTS OF MATCHES NOT YET TELEVISED

ej
11-21-2004, 01:07 PM
I know this has been covered, but I wanted to say it again. I have this sense that the people who do this are proud of the fact that they have acquired the information before others. Thus, I'm guessing that the person(s) doing it are young. I'm asking you to stop and hope that others will join me.

Matt Riordan
11-21-2004, 01:10 PM
I agree.

Perhaps whoever runs this board or who designed the page, whatever, can attach some immovable notice reminding people, in large text, to include the word 'spoiler' in their posts..?

AndyC
11-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Whilst I have some sympathy with those who don't want their delayed telecast spoiled I have to suggest that once a match is played, especially a huge one, I think the onus is on yourself to avoid coming here if u don't want the result spoilt for u. The use of the word spoiler would help of course but there are so many ways that u could have an inkling of how the match went that it would be ludicrous to expect no one to discuss the match here before u've had a chance to see it.

Put frankly, what gives you the right to dictate what I can discuss on a board which is specifically set up for such discussions?

perfmode
11-21-2004, 01:40 PM
I know this has been covered, but I wanted to say it again. I have this sense that the people who do this are proud of the fact that they have acquired the information before others. Thus, I'm guessing that the person(s) doing it are young. I'm asking you to stop and hope that others will join me.

I agree. It's getting ridiculous.

bertrevert
11-21-2004, 02:16 PM
what a ridiculous request...

... how can we ever know when is the time right to just discuss the result or when to wait - there are people from overseas here not in your time zone (I'm in Sydney) who have no idea whether you've seen a replay or not. I say let everyone discuss the result if they've seen it. Don't come here if you want to avoid knowing the result.

madhavan
11-21-2004, 02:17 PM
This is a worldwide forum, you can't expect people in other countries to keep track of US TV timings (and vice-versa). If you don't want to find out the result before you watch a match, then what are you doing visiting a tennis forum?!?! Don't blame the people who don't know about putting Spoiler in the title, instead just stay away from tennis sites till you watch the match.

ej
11-21-2004, 02:21 PM
I think you have a right to discuss it whenever you want, but I wonder if it would be an unreasonable courtesy on your part to hold that discussion until it is publically televised in the regions and/or country that respresent the majority of the posters on this board.

Actually, that's probably too much to ask since you would have no way of knowing when it was televised elsewhere, so... try this. Imagine a little boy who has just finished his first solo trip to the John. Imagine, rather than flushing the toilet, the boy runs to his mother to show her his new creation.

Here is what I am asking you: instead of running to your computer to announce the score to a majority of posters who have not seen the match, could you at least walk. That would give us some time to see some points .... and we would have something to talk about...

perfmode
11-21-2004, 02:33 PM
All I'm asking is for people to put *Spoiler* in the title of the thread and before all posts that may spoil matches for other people. It's just the right thing to do.

altawolfe
11-21-2004, 02:38 PM
I agree -- using *spoiler shouldn't be too much of an indignity for the exciteable "I have rights" crew.

Unfortunately, I can't watch the final until May 2005, so nobody discuss it until then.

Thanks

Type40
11-21-2004, 07:13 PM
I think there should be a separate forum for discussion of live events.

Deuce
11-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Actually, that last suggestion is a good one - a separate section for discussions of live/recently played matches.

As for AndyC and bertrevert - your interpretations could not be more wrong. Once again, for you who have failed to comprehend this matter in the 724 times its been discussed on these boards, no-one is attempting to prevent you from discussing the matches on these boards. No-one. Get that through your heads once and for all.

What people are asking for is that you demonstrate some courtesy and respect for others in choosing your subject titles; that you place respect and consideration for others above your seeming need to play 'sports reporter'. That is all people are asking of you. It is not much. If you cannot or will not comply to this, it reveals more about your character and upbringing that you likely realize.

serveboy
11-21-2004, 10:07 PM
If I'm not getting a live broadcast, I just make sure I don't visit this forum. I also avoid watching any news channels (CNN, etc).

If you rely on others to use a spoiler tag you will get screwed. Somebody will eventually keyword the winner in a thread title.

Rely on yourself, and only on yourself!

BiGGieStuFF
11-21-2004, 10:25 PM
In my opinion if someone is going to tape the match or if the match has not shown yet in your area. It is that person's responsibility not to expose themselves to websites, tv channels that may inform them of the outcome. Next thing you know, you're gonna want to call the local television stations to tell them to please not announce the scores on their sports segment of the show.

I may have been guilty of this a few times as to expose scores of matches but only because people have asked for opinions on my experiences at the Masters Cup this year.

Sorry if I had done that but putting a spoiler tag is courtesty enough. Thread Preview would help on this situation out a lot as well, but if you REALLY didn't want to know the outcome then yes, it's your responsibility not to expose yourself to a tennis forum.

Phil
11-21-2004, 10:51 PM
If I'm not getting a live broadcast, I just make sure I don't visit this forum. I also avoid watching any news channels (CNN, etc).

If you rely on others to use a spoiler tag you will get screwed. Somebody will eventually keyword the winner in a thread title.

Rely on yourself, and only on yourself!

Seems like a pretty extreme solution-hibernating yourself from all major news sources until you can see the match. I don't buy that or the "Then don't visit this site until you've seen the match..." mentality. If you a-holes-and you a-holes know who you are-would just take .03 seconds and write "SPOILER" in your subject line-as has been suggested here and in many, many other threads, then there is no need for self-isolation. Really, it doesn't take much, unless you're a lazy and inconsiderate jerkoff.

Deuce
11-21-2004, 11:56 PM
"Next thing you know, you're gonna want to call the local television stations to tell them to please not announce the scores on their sports segment of the show."

... and the award for Brain Dead Poster of the Week goes to... BiGGieStuFF.

One of the jobs of TV stations is to report the 'news' of the day, which includes sporting events. This message board, on the other hand, is not a news source - that is not its purpose. Its purpose is to discuss the events which make up the news - or, more specifically, the events which make up the tennis news. This is a forum for discussion on the sport of tennis. I believe that this is made very clear with any degree of exposure to these boards.

I advise you to first learn about CONTEXT (not to mention consideration), and then come back and make your comments on this subject.

Man, 5 year olds have a higher level of basic comprehension than is displayed by some posters in this thread.

AndyC
11-22-2004, 04:11 AM
Actually, that last suggestion is a good one - a separate section for discussions of live/recently played matches.

As for AndyC and bertrevert - your interpretations could not be more wrong. Once again, for you who have failed to comprehend this matter in the 724 times its been discussed on these boards, no-one is attempting to prevent you from discussing the matches on these boards. No-one. Get that through your heads once and for all.

What people are asking for is that you demonstrate some courtesy and respect for others in choosing your subject titles; that you place respect and consideration for others above your seeming need to play 'sports reporter'. That is all people are asking of you. It is not much. If you cannot or will not comply to this, it reveals more about your character and upbringing that you likely realize.

Deuce when have I ever failed to use *Spoiler* in my posts? I find it pointless to have to do so but I do. However let me be absolutely clear. If I make reference to a tiebreak in the title without giving away the result does that not qualify as a spoiler in itself? Ah I could not bother posting about the tiebreak in the title but say that is the one thing I want to discuss?

What is ridiculous is that this topic keeps coming up. What you think of my upbringing is beside the point. I really don't care what u think. However I do think it says something about the guys who keep bringing up this topic when Tennis Warehouse has no policy on it. If they don't forbid it then frankly who are u to decide that such a policy needs implemented?

BiGGieStuFF
11-22-2004, 06:45 AM
"Next thing you know, you're gonna want to call the local television stations to tell them to please not announce the scores on their sports segment of the show."

... and the award for Brain Dead Poster of the Week goes to... BiGGieStuFF.

One of the jobs of TV stations is to report the 'news' of the day, which includes sporting events. This message board, on the other hand, is not a news source - that is not its purpose. Its purpose is to discuss the events which make up the news - or, more specifically, the events which make up the tennis news. This is a forum for discussion on the sport of tennis. I believe that this is made very clear with any degree of exposure to these boards.

I advise you to first learn about CONTEXT (not to mention consideration), and then come back and make your comments on this subject.

Man, 5 year olds have a higher level of basic comprehension than is displayed by some posters in this thread. That's quite a personal attack there. This forum has a much broader spectrum of what can be discussed here than the news. I'm sorry you feel that we need to respect your wishes to not report information related to tennis on this forum as this is what this forum was created for in the first place. Most people follow your courtesy but if you expecting hundreds of people who surf this forum to follow a guideline that's not even outlined in the policies of this forum then that is your fault. It's your responsibility to avoid areas that will cause you to find out the scores before you'd like to. It's not the end of the world if you find out and you make such a big deal about it. The responsibility lies on your shoulders and yours alone. Don't expect others to not voice their opinions about a particular match just because you haven't seen it yet. Consider yourself lucky to even be able to watch tennis on television as some people don't get any broadcast at all. You appear to like attacking people personally and if anything needs to be censored it's definitely your unprofessional attitude and personal attacks on people on this board.

The tennis guy
11-22-2004, 08:13 AM
I agree with biggiestuff.

It is two-way street. If you want to come here unrestricted, why would others have to be restricted in posting their messages?

Exci
11-22-2004, 08:52 AM
The world's not just about you, you should be aware of that. While using *spoiler* could be of any use, it would be rather impossible to title the following situations:

You noticed something in a match that you really really want to talk about on this board. You have two options; either you title the topic as "*SPOILER* SOMETHING I WANT TO SHARE" or you title it as what you want us to share.

As you can tell, the second option is the most viable option, because it keeps these boards organised. After a match, we would be spammed by *spoiler* topics and to know what they're really about, you have to open all of them.

If you don't want to know what the score is, then don't visit these boards after the match is actually played. It's your freedom to choose whether you want to visit this board at that time and it's our freedom to discuss whatever has happened on the courts. Restriction on discussion hurts forums like these..

perfmode
11-22-2004, 10:17 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=24742

Exci
11-22-2004, 11:50 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=24742

Yes, I noticed that just after posting that. I hope they're not that strict doing that though, but only punish those we explicitly write about the scores..

Deuce
11-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Apparently, some of you have no considerate or respectful blood in your system, and erroneously (and amazingly!) insist that it is your right to do whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want, without any regard for others whatsoever. As I said, this reveals much about your character and upbringing.

You whine that since no-one 'official' has told you not to do it, then it must be fine to post whatever you like in the subject title. You clearly cannot come upon respect, decency, and consideration for others of your own accord, and so will not do so unless someone 'official' so instructs you. You will be decent and respectful only when 'forced' to, in other words. If I may say so, that is pathetic.

As perfmode's link shows, you may now consider yourselves 'officially' instructed to not post results, or anything which tells the results, of currently or recently played matches in the subject title. Chris from TW, acting as your collective parent, has 'officially' made this most reasonable request.

It is most unfortunate that we cannot count on certain people to give basic respect and consideration to others until a policy officially instructs them to. Indeed, it is a sad indication of one's character that he must be 'forced' into behaving as a decent human being.

perfmode
11-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Apparently, some of you have no considerate or respectful blood in your system, and erroneously (and amazingly!) insist that it is your right to do whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want, without any regard for others whatsoever. As I said, this reveals much about your character and upbringing.

You whine that since no-one 'official' has told you not to do it, then it must be fine to post whatever you like in the subject title. You clearly cannot come upon respect, decency, and consideration for others of your own accord, and so will not do so unless someone 'official' so instructs you. You will be decent and respectful only when 'forced' to, in other words. If I may say so, that is pathetic.

As perfmode's link shows, you may now consider yourselves 'officially' instructed to not post results, or anything which tells the results, of currently or recently played matches in the subject title. Chris from TW, acting as your collective parent, has 'officially' made this most reasonable request.

It is most unfortunate that we cannot count on certain people to give basic respect and consideration to others until a policy officially instructs them to. Indeed, it is a sad indication of one's character that he must be 'forced' into behaving as a decent human being.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

BiGGieStuFF
11-22-2004, 12:48 PM

It is most unfortunate that we cannot count on certain people to give basic respect and consideration to others until a policy officially instructs them to. Indeed, it is a sad indication of one's character that he must be 'forced' into behaving as a decent human being.You still seem hellbent on attacking people on this forum. Most people are saying they are willing to put *spoiler* in their thread titles but the fact of the matter is that there are still a lot of people who are getting upset when there are a few threads that slip through the crackes. If TW wants to put you in charge of policing then please let them give you moderator rights by all means so that you can edit accidental threads that don't meet the NEW guidelines.

I've been trying to say that yes it is a courtesy to add *spoiler* and yes I will try but don't get upset when at times people slip and or new people don't understand the rules or etiquette.

I admit I maybe have been guilty a few times but it's not my intention to do so. A thread with full caps with this request is a bit outlandish and very provoking to say the least. I know you're not the one who created it but it does not help to create a civil conversation amongst posters. I understand what you are trying to get at but at times you come off as very condescending and offensive with your remarks. There are easier ways to get your point across without resulting to aggressive and offensive comments.

I'm not trying to argue with you as if you've notice I have agreed with your points but you can't expect hundreds of posters to follow the guidelines religiously. Let the moderators do their job and they will edit any title subjects as they see accordingly.

AndyC
11-22-2004, 01:42 PM

Actually some of us behave as perfectly decent human beings. Find me a post where I've spoiled a result for u. However u seem to delight in making personal attacks.

How anally retentive u must be if u're an adult and u need to have absolute control over something as trivial as whether the result of a tennis match is spoilt.

chicagohpch
11-22-2004, 02:18 PM
It's only necessary to use "spoiler" during the live match. After the match is over, any topics and titiles about the match should be allowed. If you want to watch the replay without knowing the results, don't visit this forum. It's ridiculus and selfish asking other people not to discuss the game.

J D
11-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Chicagohpch, you would think that made sense. So, how many hours or days do we have to wait after a match before not having to post spoiler? For sure, there will always be mistakes. New board members will slip up. Someone will start a topic that doesn't include results and, in the ensuing discussion, the results will come out.

While I have no problem with putting spoiler in the title of a match discussion, I do have a problem with people getting upset about finding out results they didn't want to know when they come to the pro section of a tennis discussion board. IF YOU ABSOLUTELY DON"T WANT TO KNOW RESULTS, STAY AWAY FROM THE PRO SECTION. How tough is that? Take responsibility for your own actions, don't blame others.

jhhachamp
11-22-2004, 05:07 PM
deuce, why dont you just let the moderators of the board do their job and stop trying to tell people what to do. you are not a moderator and you do not have any more power on these boards than anyone else, though you seem to think that you do for some reason. Sure it would be courteous of posters to post spoiler but it would be even more courteous of you to stop trying to tell everyone what they can and cannot do. again, just do us all a favor and stop trying to be a control freak of something you do not deserve any control over.

Phil
11-22-2004, 08:44 PM
I really don't care what u think. However I do think it says something about the guys who keep bringing up this topic when Tennis Warehouse has no policy on it. If they don't forbid it then frankly who are u to decide that such a policy needs implemented?

It does now. Read it and weep. The policy needed implemented, some people pointed that out, and it got done, despite your whinning about being able to post whatever you want. That's how a board should be run. Common courtesy...it shouldn't be all that hard to IMPLEMENT for individuals, but for some, it is.

Deuce
11-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Andy, I never accused you of anything other than completely missing the point - so please do not misinform others who read this thread and infer that I have accused you of posting results in titles, because I clearly have not. My comment about you results from your first post in this thread, as well as your 'cute' little "is 'spoiler really necessary", which you included in the title of a recent thread you created. And if you would like your posts to be taken seriously by those over age 14, you should take the time to type out 'you' properly.

Biggie - when you write "Next thing you know, you're gonna want to call the local television stations to tell them to please not announce the scores on their sports segment of the show." , it certainly does not seem like you agree with me in principle, as you now claim. Perhaps you've since seen the error of your ways. I hope so.

chicago - you are yet another who for some reason lacks a basic comprehension. This issue is not about discussing anything - it is about posting results in the subject title - period. You can twist and turn it any way you like, but it remains that the topic here is the subject title, and nothing more. What is "ridiculous and selfish" is people's complete lack of consideration for others.

JD (Juvenile Delinquent?) - "IF YOU ABSOLUTELY DON"T WANT TO KNOW RESULTS, STAY AWAY FROM THE PRO SECTION. How tough is that?" Typing 'Spoiler' in the title takes 1.2 seconds - how difficult is that?

Steve - You are obviously young and miss the point and context entirely. How exactly can you deny my right to make my opinion of others known, yet at the same time feel that you possess every right to make known your opinion of me? And by telling me not to "tell others what to do", are you yourself not telling me what to do? As I said, you're young, and will hopefully grow out of this nonsense.

When people believe they possess the 'right' to post result in the title, they are in effect saying "I don't give a damn about anyone else - screw you all". To this, I object - and there are the typical people who wish to put the focus somewhere other than on the subject in question, and so they accuse me of 'attacking' others. In fact, what I am doing is defending people who are 'attacked' by the total selfishness and lack of consideration from your type. I am calling a spade a spade - calling selfish people selfish. If you don't wish to be called selfish, there is a simple solution - and it has nothing to do with me. There are too many selfish people on the planet - and too many who foolishly tolerate them.

The issue here, in truth, isn't even about putting 'spoiler' in the subject title. It goes beyond that. The issue here is respect and consideration, and the lack thereof. What you and others of your ilk are saying is that it is ridiculous, unacceptable, and even offensive for anyone to expect decency, respect, and common consideration from others. This is the kernel of your argument here, people. Think about that a while. If that's the kind of planet you wish to live on, so be it - you'll no doubt get precisely what you deserve out of life - you'll get exactly what you put into it. As for myself and, I believe, a majority of posters on this board, we have a somewhat higher standard for human behavior.

BiGGieStuFF
11-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Biggie - when you write "Next thing you know, you're gonna want to call the local television stations to tell them to please not announce the scores on their sports segment of the show." , it certainly does not seem like you agree with me in principle, as you now claim. Perhaps you've since seen the error of your ways. I hope so.

I agreed with you using the *spoiler* tag as consideration but you seriously can't expect hundreds of people to remember to use those tags. It's bound to slip and happen so it's something you're going to have to live with. It's best not to complain about it and let it go as it's not something you can honestly change in the long run. It may work short term but in the end I believe we'll be right back where we started. Only thing that you can hope for is that the moderators will catch these thread subjects and change them but even then that may become an arduos task for them and either they will start deleting threads or not policing them at all. I admit there may have been a misunderstanding of sorts at first but I hope you instead of berating people immediately that you hold yourself in check and attempt to be more respectful in your posts towards other forum members.

Deuce
11-23-2004, 12:48 AM
I give others the respect - or lack of - that I feel they deserve based on their comments. If I deem their comments and/or perspectives to lack respect, chances are if I comment, they'll not receive much respect from me.

When you wrote "Next thing you know, you're gonna want to call the local television stations to tell them to please not announce the scores on their sports segment of the show." , this struck me as being not only snotty and sarcastic, but also lacking in respect. And so I gave you the respect I felt you deserved.

As for your comment about expecting hundreds of people to "remember" to be respectful and considerate - consideration and respect for others is not really something one "remembers". It is something which is natural once it is ingrained into one's character, which is supposed to be done in childhood by one's parents.

Yes, I expect adults to behave in a mature manner, demonstrating a basic respect and consideration for others. I do not believe this is asking too much of people. When I observe adults lacking a basic respect and consideration for others - and even obnoxiously insisting that they possess a 'right' to disrespect others whenever and however they please, without objection or consequence, it rather bothers me, and I will do what I can to correct this obviously indecent and defective behavior.

BiGGieStuFF
11-23-2004, 06:51 AM
Deuce: Do you post on www.clutchfans.net as well? Just wondering.

chicagohpch
11-23-2004, 07:40 PM
JD, please read my message carefully before you make any comments. I don't know if it's my English that's confusing, or you don't know how to read:)

J D
11-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Chicagohpch, it's you that needs to read carefully. I was actually agreeing in principle with what you were saying (you would think implies that you and I would agree that what you were saying made sense). I then went on to discuss problems associated with trying to hide results.

Deuce, perhaps you should actually read a post thoroughly before responding to it. If you had, you would have noticed that I do advocate using the spoiler tag. What I don't agree with is people getting bent out of shape and blaming others if a mistake happens, especially when it's mainly their own fault.

I agree whole heartedly with the new policy, but let's be real. People are only human. Someone will forget a spoiler tag. A new poster that doesn't know any better will start a topic with results, maybe even in the title. Results will come up in related threads. In other words, once again, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW RESULTS, JUST STAY AWAY FROM THE PRO SECTION. Or, if you can't, at least stop being ugly to others for your lack of self-control.

Deuce
11-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Deuce: Do you post on www.clutchfans.net as well? Just wondering.

No. Never have.

jhhachamp
11-24-2004, 01:00 AM
JD my thoughts exactly, I really just couldn't manage to find the words

perfmode
11-24-2004, 01:49 AM

I agreed with you using the *spoiler* tag as consideration but you seriously can't expect hundreds of people to remember to use those tags. It's bound to slip and happen so it's something you're going to have to live with. It's best not to complain about it and let it go as it's not something you can honestly change in the long run. It may work short term but in the end I believe we'll be right back where we started. Only thing that you can hope for is that the moderators will catch these thread subjects and change them but even then that may become an arduos task for them and either they will start deleting threads or not policing them at all. I admit there may have been a misunderstanding of sorts at first but I hope you instead of berating people immediately that you hold yourself in check and attempt to be more respectful in your posts towards other forum members.

They better rememeber it. It's a goddamn sticky. If they forget, they will probably get a couple warnings before they get the bant.