PDA

View Full Version : LM Instinct and LM Radical MP???

Goldberg
03-19-2004, 02:47 PM
They both have very similar attributes. Besides the 100 sq inch head size compared to the 98 what else is the major difference? They both seem like great rackets and i cant wait to hit with them.
Also what about the LM Prestige??? that also seems the same?
how do they compare
thanks

Morpheus
03-19-2004, 06:58 PM
The Instinct is more of a tweener with a thicker beam (that's the main difference, other than color). Both are fine rackets. They are different enough to have each received a review by TW. You should start there, then decide if you want to demo. I believe the Prestige is heavier and with a thinner beam than either of the other LMs.

Goldberg
03-19-2004, 07:50 PM
What is the difference between a thicker beam and a thinner beam?
thanks

Morpheus
03-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Well, I'm not a racket stylist, but the higher the number the thicker the beam and the thicker the beam the more stiffer and lighter you can make the racket. Stiffness generally equates to power. So a thicker beam will be stiffer and will give you more oomph. I'm guessing that the wider beam gives more structural space so they can lighten the racket yet keep it strong. The stiffness rating that is listed in the specs is a number taken at the throat, so it can be misleading. The Instinct's beam thickness varies from head to tail so while it may test same as the rad, the rad is actually a softer playing racket (soft=less power, more feel and control).

I recommended the LM series as a place to start since the line-up is similar with the major difference being beam. This would give you a baseline from which to experiment. I don't play with the LM, but I though they were decent rackets.