PDA

View Full Version : string suggestions for Catapult 4

samoca
03-19-2004, 01:59 PM
I'm female, 50s, 3.5. I just switched from a Cat 7 to a Cat 4 because I found swinging the Cat 7 unwieldy. I used Powerfiber 16 in my Cat 7 and liked it very much. I think it might be too springy (for want of a better word--you tell me) for the Cat 4, which is so light and more powerful. I think the Cat4 needs some lead tape to give it more stability. How would it play with gut? I've really been wanting to try it. I'm just not getting my shots deep enough but I do really like the feel of this racquet and it's great at serves and volleys for me. If not gut, what would give me more oomph on my shots with this racquet?

If I put lead tape, in order not to change the balance but to make it more stable, should I put it at the throat?

Thanks very much!

Match-Point
03-20-2004, 06:49 AM
Samoca,

My son has the Cat 4 racquet and I really like it but had the same experience, mainly it's too light. Consider adding 4 pieces of lead tape on the head (2-3 inch strips) at 3/9 o'clock position.

As for strings with more pop but not "spongy", consider trying the new Tecnifibre X-One Bi-Phase or Laser Fibre Phenom. I am just demoing the X-One and quite impressed after about 25 hours. Both have good pop and good tension maintenance. I would also try Bow Brand Gut strung about 2-3 pounds higher. Good luck.

M-P