PDA

View Full Version : Federer inspired Safin.

Golden Retriever
11-21-2004, 07:28 PM
I think Safin finally got his act together this year because of Federer. He finally met his real challenge and that ignited the fire inside of him. Before Federer he probably was uninspired and thought he could beat anyone on tour without really applying himself. The mockery of the press couldn't inspire him, the agony of his fans couldn't inspire him but Federer did. That's probably why he hired Federer's coach. If Safin starts defeating Federer regularly he probably would go back to his own self and starts tanking matches again.

VictorS.
11-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Federer is so much better than everyone else right now. It's tough imagining Safin ever beating Federer on a regular basis. I definitely think he's capable of matching Federer. But to beat him regularly would mean getting into uncharted territory.

Vlad
11-21-2004, 10:18 PM
I think Marat has the potential to improve some parts of his game. It is not too late for him to work on his forehand to make it more solid shot. He can get better on the volleys even though he improved a lot in that dedpartment from 2000. As long as he stays with Lundgren, he should be able to stay steady and consistent and as long as he does that, we should see some good matchups with Fed.

perfmode
11-22-2004, 02:27 AM
It's amazing how much he's grown mentally. I think he has what it takes to challenge Fed but I don't know about big wins.

irish
11-22-2004, 08:29 AM
I miss the old Safin, the pants dropping, racket throwing, obscenity yelling, bimbo-in-his-box Marat. Now all we have to see is Peter Lundgren, and I got tired of seeing him in Federer's box!

pound cat
11-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Don't worry, when Safin plays someone he knows he should be beating but isn't he'll go crazy. But then he'll calm down and win. Hopefully.

@wright
11-22-2004, 10:42 AM
That was awesome when Safin snapped the throat of his racquet across his knee vs. Roddick.