PDA

View Full Version : Moya on Fed

Brettolius
11-22-2004, 05:31 AM
what did you guys think about moya's comments regarding fed at the masters cup. there's alot of speculation on these boards regarding who's better in their prime, sampras or fed, and moya said that he's played sampras and agassi when they were on top, and that he believes fed to be better than both of them. to me, that means alot coming from a guy who's been one of the best in the world for a while now to say that one of his peers has in fact raised the game to a higher level. (there were other pro's on there commenting on fed, but moya is the only one to compare him to other greats.) so what do you guys think? adds a little more credence to the fact that we might be watching the michael jordan of tennis.

Brettolius
11-22-2004, 07:09 AM
also, did anyone else notice that fed was hitting more backhand drives this week? seems like on a lot of balls he would usually slice, even some akward looking ones, he just attacked and pounded the crap out of them. not to mention his crazy ******** on the run passing shots that he seemed to make routinely this week.

ty slothrop
11-22-2004, 07:34 AM
no question his command of his backhand is a LOT better. that's how big hitters like agassi, safin, and roddick (early in wimbledon final) could go after him, just try to stay alive in the point long enough to keep pounding his backhand in hopes it breaks down. but it's almost as reliable as his forehand now

TwistServe
11-22-2004, 07:40 AM
man fed was ripping some big backhands last week.. they kept coming to his backhand and he was hitting some rally strokes, and then B00M!... wow i didn't know fed had that in him

arosen
11-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Especially in a match against safin when safin would blast his backhander to Fed's bh and it would come back with some extra pop on top. I mean, Safin literally kills the ball on his bh, yet Fed was mostly unimpressed and didn't bother slicing. He had trouble against Gaudio's backhand though, Gaudio's is a better one, but its Gaudio's one and only great weapon. Fed plays some scary tennis these days. He is probably the best tennis ball hitter that ever lived. Sampras was never this good off the ground, not even close.

@wright
11-22-2004, 10:41 AM
I agree, arosen. What Moya said about Fed being better than Samps is fairly poignant, but I would say Agassi saying it really makes it more credible.

JohnThomas1
11-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Yeah i thought Fed's backhand was even better. I thought Gaudio's looked better early but Fed pegged it back later.

snowpuppy
11-22-2004, 06:24 PM
I knew Roger had it in him! In fact I posted something regarding his passiveness on the BH side at his website and only one other guy agreed with me. What I have been seeing from Rogi most of this yr was a safe, crosscourt, middle pace, a lot of topspin BH. In one instance in the us open (vs henman i believe), right after a linesman called the ball out, roger flicked a absolute BH bullet across the court. And i am telling u, if that was his consistent backhand, sign me up for the calender slam wagon.

Progressive10s
11-24-2004, 04:36 AM
Before I address Paris, Federer's backhand reminds me of Laver because Rod would hit some wicked sliced backhands to keep the ball in play then hit a topspin backhand drive to finish off the point. I would love to Roger go much deeper at the French in 2005. I cannot figure why he can win on red clay at other events and go out so early in the French. Kuerten in the 3rd round last year (Kuerten was in his element) and Luis Horna in the 1st round in 2003. If the Red Sox can finally win the World Series, then Roger can certainly elevate his game to win the French.

@wright
11-24-2004, 05:38 AM
I think you can't take anything from Roger for letting a 3 time FO champion (playing well) take him down this year. Who knows if Guga will be playing next year around that time, not to mention playing well.

drakulie
11-24-2004, 06:06 AM
What is scary is Federer is only going to get better. Hope the rest of the field begins to challenge him or things will get boring.

davey25
11-24-2004, 07:13 AM
Arent Moya and Federer friends? If so the comment should be taken with a grain of salt.

the man to beat
11-24-2004, 03:46 PM
drakulie

don't worry

the future's bright

the future's.... pink

VamosRafa
11-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Just think when we thought it would be Williams/Williams in every tournament? The others stepped up their games, and the Williamses didn't, and perhaps had a bit of bad luck. And now the field is open. And Davenport will grace the cover of the 2005 ATP/WTA media guide, along with Roger.

Who would have guessed that, especially during the year Lindsay had planned to retire?

Roger is amazing, no doubt. It was great fun watching him in Houston, and there's no doubt he intimidates the other players. Jon Wertheim had some great comments this week on why the unknowns can occasionally beat him, and the top players can't. Says a lot for Roger's future, especially once he gets past the first few rounds of a tournament.

But I don't think the rest of the ATP is going to hand it to him. They are going to continue to make him work for it, and if he does better Sampras's record, it will be a major achievement, certainly. He does have the talent, but one thing is for sure -- he's making the other top guys develop their all-court games.

And he's a more charismatic player than Pete. Perhaps he'll be someone the whole world can embrace as a champion, and that would be great for the sport. But I do hope the others continue to challenge him, or else it will be get boring, i.e., another Federer final, another Federer win.

It's okay if he wins, just as long as it's a good match. :mrgreen:

sliceroni
11-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Moya/Agassi 1-3
Moya/Sampras 1-3
Moya/Federer 0-5

Even on clay this yr in Hamburg Federer handled him in straight sets. No wonder why he made those comments.

VamosRafa
11-27-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm sure Moya was just saying that to boost up Nadal, who is 1-0 against Federer on hardcourts, or any court for that matter.

That has to be the explanation. Coz nothing else works, except for mutual respect.

sliceroni
11-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Don't know if Moya 0-5 will ever win a match against Fed but he won against Sampras and Agassi. No disprespect but Fed was sick during that match against Nadal, he wasn't well enought to practice as I recall.