PDA

View Full Version : Roger shafted in the closing ceremony .Again!

pound cat
11-22-2004, 07:08 AM
He was ignored in last years ceremony, and left sitting on the bench while Agassi spoke on and on. Roger was eventually gven 30 seconds ot say thank you, and then sat some more. This year whoever was presenting the trophy (he was never introduced) literally shoved the trophy at Roger without saying one word, the silent "Here!" presentation method Bud Collins said that was the quickest presentaion he had ever seen. then Bud in his magenta abstract pattern pants tried ot make amends for this obvious neglect by asking Roger a string of questions in order to keep him on center stage for a while.

I would have been shocked had I not seen the same scenario last year in Houston.

@wright
11-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Last year Mattress Mac was still pretty ****ed at Roger for winning after their encounter. I was surprised this year how Mac praised Roger all week for doing everything they asked of him, I guess Roger is such a good guy even Mac can't hold it against him. I'm glad Roger was given credit for being such a great sportsman in addition to tennis player, even though it would have been nice to hear his comments to cap his record year.

pound cat
11-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Public/worldwide acknowledgement of Roger's accomplishments at the ceremony by someone other than Bud would have been nice.

Dirky
11-22-2004, 08:23 AM
It will eventually happen. I am just glad Rogi will likely never have to deal with Mattress Mac again. I'm sure he has changed his ways some, but his attitude last year was terrible and I'm glad to know Rogi was right about the court being slanted and they fixed it this year. :)

lendl lives
11-22-2004, 08:30 AM
my guess is fed is sick of americans constatnly picking other americans to beat him. not gonna happen anymore..... my guess is he doesn't really like america that much. when he plays non americans he always seems to pay more attention to them at the net after the match. fed seems more mature and wiser than andy and co.

The Ripper
11-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Having spent a reasonable amount of time in Europe and also having had several close European friends, I would agree there is a kind of "maturity" gap between the American players (with the exception of Andre) and the Europeans. I noticed it when Andy and Safin played. They are about the same age, but the intelligence and maturity of Marat was so clear; Andy had the bearing and look of a high school jock. My personal experience of Europeans (and we're really generalizing here) is that they admire our straightforward approach and enthusiasm, but find us rather shallow as a group. My guess is Roger likes Americans and America, but is always happy to get home! You know, nice place to visit . . . 8)

voltman
11-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Having spent a reasonable amount of time in Europe and also having had several close European friends, I would agree there is a kind of "maturity" gap between the American players (with the exception of Andre) and the Europeans. I noticed it when Andy and Safin played. They are about the same age, but the intelligence and maturity of Marat was so clear; Andy had the bearing and look of a high school jock. My personal experience of Europeans (and we're really generalizing here) is that they admire our straightforward approach and enthusiasm, but find us rather shallow as a group. My guess is Roger likes Americans and America, but is always happy to get home! You know, nice place to visit . . . 8)

Well, Andre is like 50 or something.

The Ripper
11-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Yup! Andre's definitely an "old soul"! Of course he's been playing everywhere in Europe for years now and has been married to that German girl (what's her name? Steffi something?) for a while now, so there's probably not a lot of Las Vegas kid left in him. :wink:

VamosRafa
11-27-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure that things are over between Mattress Mack and Federer. From what I head, Roger is considering coming back to play the Men's Claycourts in Houston.

It likely was just gossip, but the players were so happy with the accommodations they were given in Houston. The players talked about how spoiled they were all week.

The doubles players had the old locker room, but Mack commissioned suites for all the singles players. He built a new dining room and facilities for the players, and even the people who were most critical last year, praised Mack for the changes, especially since he knows that the event is going to Shanghai for the next 3 years.

And the Americanism stuff was not there this year, except from paying fans. Who knew that Mack had that much restraint?

He was a class act this year, especially when you compare his actions to last year's. I don't think his tennis aspirations are over, especially now that he has a World Team Tennis featuring Billie Jean and Steffi.

And Ripper, I can't blame Roger if he views the USA as a nice place to visit but nothing more. I've been to Europe many times, and I have the same view. I love visiting, but there's no place like home. :lol:

And as for Marat being more mature than Andy -- perhaps you can be "mature" in one way but not another. Until recently, Andy has definitely been more mature than Marat in terms of his focus on tennis. And who knows how long Marat will stay focused? Or when he'll be back out again with the blonde entourage, smoking in bars and ducking practices. Perhaps that's considered "mature" in Europe, but it's plain stupid when you are playing tennis.

Fortunately for his fans, Andy isn't that "mature" yet. He doesn't sound like a high school jock -- more like a college jock. Which is just about where he is age-wise and maturity-wise, with a lot of perks college jocks don't get.

The Ripper
11-27-2004, 07:38 PM
No arguments about returning home! As much as I love Europe, enjoy the people and in many ways feel more "at home" there, I have always (at least in the past) been very happy to return to the good ol' U S of A. However, given the political climate of the last four years (and the next four apparently), if I could easily move to Canada or Europe I would do it in a second.

College jock, I stand corrected. :wink:

Peace baby 8)

VamosRafa
11-27-2004, 07:54 PM
:lol: Ripper.

I'm glad we are agreed on college jock, because it fits. Although I think Andy is a bit smarter than most college jocks. But I won't argue that here, I think college and jock is a bit of an oxymoron.

And I think if Andy had decided on a college career, he would have done quite well with it. But he made the right choice with tennis.

But I have another option for you. I've been to Canada and Europe numerous times, but other than the USA, there's only one place that has felt like home, and that is:

Australia.

You got it. You basically fly 15 hours to another state, and everything you want to buy there is 50% off. I just loved it, and if someone told me at gunpoint that I had to move to another country, I wouldn't hesitate: Australia.

Again, I love visiting other countries, but there are only certain places where you feel at home. I feel that way in parts of the USA, and in parts of Australia.

Perhaps because the countries are very similar. They span thousands of miles, with lots of uninhabited territory in between. They both had their roots in English culture, but went their own way years ago.

Again, flying from Melbourne to Cairnes is similar to flying from Los Angeles to New York. But the terrain is quite different, and both are exciting.

Peace. :mrgreen:

The Ripper
11-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Hey Vamos!

That's an extremely good point! I had forgotten about Australia and I absolutely agree with you! I feel like America and Australia have a lot in common - both more or less thrown out of Great Britain. I have several friends from Australia (who I met abroad) who are always asking me to come for a visit and a British friend who moved down there and loves it! I grew up in Montana but played a lot of hockey in Canada - as a result, I'd rather move somewhere warm and sunny and Australia would fit the bill. You've given me something to think about now. Hmmm ... beaches, surfing, tennis, common language, everything half off (even at the beach) . . . 8) yeah baby!

BTW - what about a matchup between Nadal and Berdych? What would that look like? Think either one will be able to rival Fedex?