PDA

View Full Version : Federer: Patterns of Play

lendl lives
11-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Federer patterns (in general and against specific players)

1. bh crosscourt slice that lands short and low near the corner of the service box. Used to bring an opponent whose playing well from the baseline into the net. Notice Hewitt did not come in. Rather he hit and retreated (good move on his part)

2. short and angled cross court bh passing shot when hes deep behind his own baseline. Used against andy a lot. His primary shot then hell throw in a down the liner to totally demoralize you. does he tend to hit the harder approach shots down the line?

3. high slow passing shots to force andy to hit volleys hes not comfortable with.

4. generally likes going for corners of service box on a medium short balls.

lendl lives
11-22-2004, 09:41 AM
1. after he hits (1) if a player comes in and hits a down the line approach shot federer will slap a passing shot back up the line since the net rusher is generally moving to cover the open court.

@wright
11-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Don't do this! The other players might check out the boards and see the patterns and then they will beat him! NOOOO

El Diablo
11-22-2004, 09:47 AM
You cite a few trees but neglect to mention the forest -- like every great player he hits most of his shots DEEP and prevents his opponent from getting anything organized. Those shots to the service box corner only are effective because the three shots preceding keep you nailed behind the baseline, which is why he gets those "medium short balls" from world class opponents.

lendl lives
11-22-2004, 10:17 AM
point taken

BiGGieStuFF
11-22-2004, 10:29 AM
I think it's safe to assume that this guy has every shot in the book to use at his disposal. The guy is amazing pure and simple. A definite joy to watch and it's also fun to see who can finally beat him. Any bets as to which top 20 player will be the next to beat him? Not necessarily take this number 1 spot but at this point just beat him in a match.

perfmode
11-22-2004, 11:05 AM
1. He uses the BH XC slice to set up his IODTL FH more than he uses it to bring people to the net.

eagle
11-22-2004, 11:33 AM
I'm sure the other pros and their coaches have a long list of Federer tendencies on paper and video but none of them have figured it out yet.

And even if you do figure it out, you still have to execute them and do so effectively against a guy who has an incredible array of shots and ability to adapt.

r,
eagle

federerfanforever
11-22-2004, 12:27 PM
And did anyone notice in the final that Federer would on occassion hit medium pace fore- and backhands as if to match the speed on Hewitt's pace. I thought this was interesting as if he was experimenting/probing new ways to play against Hewitt (or maybe trying to throw him off?). So in addition to hitting the ball really hard, Federer also can hit the ball slower but still with tons of spin and depth without running into problems. There is really nothing he can't do and it was demonstrated quite impressively all weeks as he played from the baseline, then serve-volley, finesse shots, raw power, lobs, dinks etc. The thing I think that sets Federer from all other "talent" players like McEnroe, Rios, Mandlikova etc. is that he is able to find the best shot out of his unlimited arsenal for each particular situation and player. Congratulations Roger!

lendl lives
11-22-2004, 01:19 PM
he admitted he can't hit a fh drop shot like coria

perfmode
11-22-2004, 01:42 PM
And did anyone notice in the final that Federer would on occassion hit medium pace fore- and backhands as if to match the speed on Hewitt's pace. I thought this was interesting as if he was experimenting/probing new ways to play against Hewitt (or maybe trying to throw him off?). So in addition to hitting the ball really hard, Federer also can hit the ball slower but still with tons of spin and depth without running into problems. There is really nothing he can't do and it was demonstrated quite impressively all weeks as he played from the baseline, then serve-volley, finesse shots, raw power, lobs, dinks etc. The thing I think that sets Federer from all other "talent" players like McEnroe, Rios, Mandlikova etc. is that he is able to find the best shot out of his unlimited arsenal for each particular situation and player. Congratulations Roger!

Yea, Federer is very good at varying his pace and depth to get different reactions from his opponents.

Brettolius
11-22-2004, 01:52 PM
well he sure as sh@* can hit a backand dropshot. i can just picture p-mac with his eyes bulging out of his skull, "the droppa! that's just sick!" and ya' know what? he's right. it is sick. it doesn't even seem fair to the other guys, just getting owned out there, and now they're starting to know it going in. all hail the king!!!

lendl lives
11-22-2004, 03:40 PM
yeah! he pulled off an amazing bh dropper this weekend!