PDA

View Full Version : Does old POG get bad?

Tenny
03-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Is it a simple myth or truth or 'common' truth for most racquets (not only POG). I heard that Old POGs (or POG with many re-stringing like 20+) tend to lose its crisp feel. Is it true? If so, do the POG fanatics change their POG regularly or still stick to old ones? Just curious. Thanks.

Tenny

brijoel
03-19-2004, 05:45 PM
ALL racquets wear out. graphite is not a constant and DOES crack. it really has nothing to do with specific racquets or how many stringings its had. more to do with how hard you play it and how tightly you string it.
for instance my 6.0 is already getting stress fractures.

Morpheus
03-19-2004, 06:07 PM
I believe the epoxy that binds the graphite breaks down over time and weakens the frame. There are likely differences in longevity depending on the composition, but I have no idea how long that may be.

I usually buy used rackets but try to stay within the past three years or so (I'm almost always play with a discontinued model--it's cheaper and the rackets are just as good).

Ronaldo
03-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Glad someone started this thread. Dismissed the POG mid as soft and unstable until I used a newer racquet. Realize my 1st impressions were based on an old, played-out, mushy mallet.

Phil
03-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Sure an old POG will get bad-if you slam it with all your might against a metal fence post. Come to think of it, using the same technique on a NEW POG will cause it to get bad, too. Get Bad, dude.

Deuce
03-20-2004, 10:12 PM
I think I'd like a real old, 'mushy' one better than I like the new ones, which are far too stiff for me.

python
03-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Racquets definitely lose stiffness over time, and I daresay repeated stringings are a real factor in the loss.

I played with Head Supreme Competition XL's for 5 years until they all cracked. I recently bought a used one for nostalgia's sake. My 'new' acquisition definitely plays stiffer than my old frames did near the end of their lives.