PDA

View Full Version : Diablo vs Tour 95... please compare

Slicer
03-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Hey all.

My coach is getting me the Diablo to hit with this coming week so I was hoping you guys could give me some insight on it and yes I read the reviews and they all sound good but they also trying to sell racquets too. I currently use a Fisher Ft Pro 1 strung with Klip Adrenaline 17ga at 62 lbs. Also what you guys they of the Wilson Tour 95.. Thanks....Slicer

Robert Jones
03-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Which Diablo? The Midplus ?

I own the Midplus. It had more power than I was expecting. Unless you have great control don't string it with cushy strings like NXT, P. Premier. Its power says 675 but with those strings it will feel more like a 950 power rating.

I read the review and I really could not understand why some people were saying it lacked power. I guess if you are use to a power stick you might feel that way.

The demo strings it comes with are monofilement at 58lbs. It plays pretty good with them. I just had mine restrung. I have tried 3 sets of stings in it.

1. Premier cushy power strings at 63lbs. Harder serves, loss of spin, big loss of control and accuracy of shots. Maybe good for slow swing or weak player.

2. Prince Synthetic Gut mono @ 58lbs - Not too bad, good control but not great. Nice pop on serve and net. Decent spin but I not as much as I like. I could live with these.

3. Price perfection control - ahhhhh much better. Now the ball goes where I want it. Some loss of power on serve but the wicked spin is back. Much less spraying of the ball. Power is good but now more of the power is converted into spin. No more 2 foot long shots.

I added some lead tape at 3 and 9 to help with twisting on off center. Not too much as I really like it at net. I think I added only 5 grams. I'm not done fooling with the lead though.

The nice thing is its light enough that you can turn it into any type of stick you want. Add a bunch of lead and it becomes a even balanced baseliner stick. As is its got 85% of what a good heavier baseliner has but its much better at overheads and net. It will buy you some time to get prepared for fast reaction volleys.

BTW I tried the NXGs too. Nice sticks but not what i was looking for in serve and volley.

BreakPoint
03-25-2004, 12:21 AM
I just demo-ed both of these racquets. Basically, the Diablo MP swings lighter than the Tour 95 and has a bit more pop on groundstrokes. The Tour 95 had a more muted traditional feel, whereas, the Diablo MP had that tinny, modern feel and sound. The Tour 95 is like a less headlight, much stiffer version of the PS 6.0, but lighter overall. The Diablo MP is probably a better baseline racquet but the Tour 95 is a better serve and volley racquet. However, I won't be switching to either of them. Sticking with my PS 6.0 95.