PDA

View Full Version : Portugal in Euro 2008,England out.

latinking
11-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Portugal had a draw today to qualify for Euro 2008. England lost to Croatia and are out.

Coments?

Shahar26
11-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Bye bye Mc-clown!

I can't believe England are out, it's disgraceful :evil:

latinking
11-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I am not an England fan at all, I am Portugese, but it won't be the same without them in the tourney.

Shahar26
11-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I am not an England fan at all, I am Portugese, but it won't be the same without them in the tourney.

After England, my favorite team is Portugal (it wasn't much fun when they met in the last WC).

At least they are in, and hopefully will manage to win something!

shintan17
11-21-2007, 09:03 PM
It just shows you how tough the competition is in Europe. Qualities of Euro Championship are so much better than the ones in the World Cup. More than 10 countries have a decent shot to win it....by far the best competition there.

alas
11-21-2007, 09:03 PM
England is just rubbish..n wid a rubbish coach..they won't qualify..doesnt matter to me though..tat means players lik Rio Ferdinand..Wayne Rooney n Gary Neville gets more rest in Man United..which is a gd thing!

Feña14
11-21-2007, 09:42 PM
It just shows you how tough the competition is in Europe. Qualities of Euro Championship are so much better than the ones in the World Cup. More than 10 countries have a decent shot to win it....by far the best competition there.

Probably true. When you look at qualifying you see that France, Italy and Portugal were all struggling to even qualify.

When you consider aswell that 6 of the quater finalists at last years World Cup were European and ALL of the semi finalists were from Europe, your probably right.

It's funny that Italy had to play France, Scotland and Ukraine to even qualify! If it was the real tournament they would probably expect a lineup similar to that to win the whole thing.

Now all us English folk have nothing to do next summer, you can guarentee the pressure and attention on Murray at Wimbledon is going to be off the scale! ;)

England is just rubbish..n wid a rubbish coach..they won't qualify..doesnt matter to me though..tat means players lik Rio Ferdinand..Wayne Rooney n Gary Neville gets more rest in Man United..which is a gd thing!

Gary Neville wouldn't be playing anyway lol, he's past it. Micah Richards is where it's at :)

alas
11-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Jose Mourinho fer England? lol..

Feña14
11-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Jose Mourinho fer England? lol..

Could be!

The Sun newspaper has said that the FA sacked him half an hour after the match last night and while that might not quite be the right time frame i'm pretty certain he'll be gone.

Not too sure how good a coach of a national side Jose would be, he seems to like the every day business of building a side and getting them playing how he likes week in week out so I think he won't be as successful at international level but if we can get him, i'd be happy.

(at least it will stop him taking over at Milan or Barcelona and knocking Chelsea out the Champions League ;) )

Elina
11-22-2007, 02:35 AM
If the Finnish team just could have scored one goal, then it would be Finland and not Portugal through... *sigh* :(

Mister G
11-22-2007, 03:22 AM

Well thats a first... Our very first TT chav.

Lionheart
11-22-2007, 04:48 AM
If the Finnish team just could have scored one goal, then it would be Finland and not Portugal through... *sigh* :(

Finland were dominated, it would be unfair if in 5 shots they would score when Portugal had more than 15 shots.

Buuurnz
11-22-2007, 05:48 AM
oh heck yeah england is out! I mean they were pretty arrogant how they played yesterday! good way of a comeback but well I'm happy they didnt qualify! i dont want russia in it either tho, bot england and russia shouldnt play in it cuz both did play pretty bad soccer during the qualification! england might have the strongest league in the world but we all know the national team is nowhere near that!

latinking
11-22-2007, 08:01 AM

I agree, by far the best tourney in football. Just making it is difficult, and no match is a easy one.

Soonerfan1590
11-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Turkiye!!!

forzainter
11-22-2007, 08:19 AM
Yes! the poms are out, im very happy, at least scotland lost to the world champions (it was never a free kick, and the ref ate for FREE at gatussos restraunt the night before, hmmmm) and now im picking Germany to win

latinking
11-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes! the poms are out, im very happy, at least scotland lost to the world champions (it was never a free kick, and the ref ate for FREE at gatussos restraunt the night before, hmmmm) and now im picking Germany to win

I hope Germany doesn't win. I am for Portugal and Spain, but after that it would be good to see a new champ..

diegaa
11-22-2007, 11:36 AM
well, i've always thought about the eurocup as a WC without Brazil & argentina (and probably some "in" african country). Im rooting for spain here.

Iced_jacob
11-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Well the most dominant team in this qualifying groups was Greece! They won 10 out of their 12 matches 1 draw in Norway and 1 loss to Turkey in Athens (But we won the away match - Payback is SWEEEEEET)!
Now the reigning european champions are ready to defeat their crown!!

Ross K
11-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Have just about recovered from the trauma of witnessing last night's car crash of a match. Never, in the annals of football history, could an England team have played so spectacularly badly. It almost makes you pine for the relatively succesful Sven Goran Erikkson, who if he had placed a bit more passion into his coaching rather than his endless womanizing, might have been a real hero! All in all though, McClaren must be viewed as a calamatous, disasterous appointment.

My choices for the next England manager?

Jose Mourinho... Arsene Wenger... Fabio Cappello... maybe Harry Redknapp... maybe Martin O'Neil... Glenn Hoddle (I know- it will never happen, but I think he was actually pretty good really)... maybe Gus Hiddink... I'm not sure any of these will get it in the end though (nor indeed do most of them even want it.)

NickC
11-22-2007, 02:51 PM
After witnessing a match straight out of a horror film last night, I can say with complete confidence that steve McCleran is a terrible manager. England were absolute crap last night, and sadly, their only glimmer of hope was Beckham, who actually gave a damn about the team and qualification, and he's done. Too bad he didn't start, McIdiot decided to start Sean Wright-Phillips, who couldn't do a damn thing out there. And to think that the FA still wants an English manager. Don't even get me started. A incompetant manager who could care less about anything combined with overpaid, underacheiving players who could also give two sh**s about the honor that comes with representing their country. What a match made in heaven.

I'll eat my shorts the day English players give a damn about playing for England and learn that putting on horrible displays just doesn't cut it. On that note, Bridge was simply awful and just like Lamps, shouldn't be allowed to play for England at it's highest level until they can prove that they care.

Feña14
11-22-2007, 04:29 PM
After witnessing a match straight out of a horror film last night, I can say with complete confidence that steve McCleran is a terrible manager. England were absolute crap last night, and sadly, their only glimmer of hope was Beckham, who actually gave a damn about the team and qualification, and he's done. Too bad he didn't start, McIdiot decided to start Sean Wright-Phillips, who couldn't do a damn thing out there. And to think that the FA still wants an English manager. Don't even get me started. A incompetant manager who could care less about anything combined with overpaid, underacheiving players who could also give two sh**s about the honor that comes with representing their country. What a match made in heaven.

I'll eat my shorts the day English players give a damn about playing for England and learn that putting on horrible displays just doesn't cut it. On that note, Bridge was simply awful and just like Lamps, shouldn't be allowed to play for England at it's highest level until they can prove that they care.

SHAUN Wright-Phillips played well, he had a chance to make it 1-1 but the keeper made a great save.

As for Lampard not playing? lmao.
It's Gerrard who should be dropped.. what did it say in the paper today?

"4/10, Painful to say but one of his worst England displays"

In the last 10 minutes Lampard skipped round 2 players, passed to Gerrard, who miss-controlled it and gave it away. Only 2 minutes later Gerrard then went and pinged the ball out to Beckham so far in front of him that you almost felt sorry for Gerrard.

What about Lampards through ball to Bent at the end where he put it just over? Genius.. Lampard scored 6+ in all the ratings while Gerrard was getting 4's and people still have the nerve to have a go at Lampard. Funny how people are blind to things they don't want to see, if you think something often enough then you start to believe it.

Lampard has played in 2 less games for England yet scored 2 more goals. Lampard not only scores double the goals Gerrard does in the league, he sets up double the ammount too.

Drop Gerrard, put Lampard in with a defensive midfielder and watch what happens. Lampard was dropped so Gerrard could go forward and he's quite frankly been pathetic, look at his performance against Israel, Russia (he missed that golden chance when up 1-0) and then again last night v Croatia.

Look at this video of his first half performance against Israel (where he was man of the match even though Rooney and Cole were the best players and Gerrard the wost)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pYHggzKlAi4

What do you think people would be saying if the players were at different clubs? Gerrard at Chelsea and Lampard at Liverpool... you know the answer.

christo
11-22-2007, 09:59 PM
I just watched a replay of the England Greece qualifier at Old Trafford 2002. Gerrard played like ***** in that one too, Martin Keown looked about 90 years old, even Scholes was dreadful. Greece were so much better as a team, their passing, work rate was light years ahead. If Becks hadn't potted that free kick at the end...........well, do we see a trend developing here? The Greek players probably make chump change per year compared to the England players , who strut around like peacocks but have no teamwork, each seemingly ignorant of the other. Robbie Fowler, Nick Barmby were both in this game, Fowler as slow as molasses, Barmby invisible. Maybe the solution is to draft a team of 20-30 of the best Championship League players, they would work their socks off with no distraction of European matches to bother with, wear the jersey with pride and restore some luster to the 3 Lions

Feña14
11-22-2007, 10:33 PM
I just watched a replay of the England Greece qualifier at Old Trafford 2002. Gerrard played like ***** in that one too, Martin Keown looked about 90 years old, even Scholes was dreadful. Greece were so much better as a team, their passing, work rate was light years ahead. If Becks hadn't potted that free kick at the end...........well, do we see a trend developing here? The Greek players probably make chump change per year compared to the England players , who strut around like peacocks but have no teamwork, each seemingly ignorant of the other. Robbie Fowler, Nick Barmby were both in this game, Fowler as slow as molasses, Barmby invisible. Maybe the solution is to draft a team of 20-30 of the best Championship League players, they would work their socks off with no distraction of European matches to bother with, wear the jersey with pride and restore some luster to the 3 Lions

Yeah, all true.

There are actually alot more English players in the Premier League than people realise, they get to learn from the foreigners and then test themselves against the very best in the game week in week out. Even now we have fantastic young players like Richards, Agbonlahor, Young, Walcott, Bentley etc.. all playing regularly for their clubs in the best league in the world.. it's just that the best we have never seem to play well together for the national side and nobody seems to know why.

Ross K
11-22-2007, 10:37 PM
SHAUN Wright-Phillips played well, he had a chance to make it 1-1 but the keeper made a great save.

As for Lampard not playing? lmao.
It's Gerrard who should be dropped.. what did it say in the paper today?

"4/10, Painful to say but one of his worst England displays"

In the last 10 minutes Lampard skipped round 2 players, passed to Gerrard, who miss-controlled it and gave it away. Only 2 minutes later Gerrard then went and pinged the ball out to Beckham so far in front of him that you almost felt sorry for Gerrard.

What about Lampards through ball to Bent at the end where he put it just over? Genius.. Lampard scored 6+ in all the ratings while Gerrard was getting 4's and people still have the nerve to have a go at Lampard. Funny how people are blind to things they don't want to see, if you think something often enough then you start to believe it.

Lampard has played in 2 less games for England yet scored 2 more goals. Lampard not only scores double the goals Gerrard does in the league, he sets up double the ammount too.

Drop Gerrard, put Lampard in with a defensive midfielder and watch what happens. Lampard was dropped so Gerrard could go forward and he's quite frankly been pathetic, look at his performance against Israel, Russia (he missed that golden chance when up 1-0) and then again last night v Croatia.

Look at this video of his first half performance against Israel (where he was man of the match even though Rooney and Cole were the best players and Gerrard the wost)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pYHggzKlAi4

What do you think people would be saying if the players were at different clubs? Gerrard at Chelsea and Lampard at Liverpool... you know the answer.

Come on Fena! Lamps has consistently been crap for England for a long time and everybody knows it!?... :???:

Not that Gerrard has played a whole lot better in the last few years (and certainly not on Wednesday night when he was utterly dismal.) Up until the other night, IMO, it was the criminally unappreciated Barry who had been playing very well in the midfield. As for Wright-Phillips, I think he's a little too much of a headless chicken most of the time, but I can see an unfit, ageing, Beckham wasn't perhaps the solution for a 90 whole minutes.

However, if I had to pick on someone, rather than the forever underachieving Lampard, or the often underachieving Stevie G, or speedy-gonzales-on-crack Sean Wright-Phillips, or the country's best known rabbit/goalkeeper-caught-in-headlights Scott Carson, or the lumbering Sol Cambell, or the I've-suddenly-and-completely-lost-all-knowledge-relating-to--how-to-defend Wayne Bridge, or any of Wednesday night's prize zeros, the name that has to take the no. 1 position can be no-one else other than Steve McClaren :oops:... who, incidentally, I'm sure I heard yesterday, now has the very worst record of any England boss EVER.

BTW EVERYONE, WHO DO YOU THINK SHOULD GET THE MANAGER'S JOB NOW?

Gonzalez_Forehand
11-23-2007, 12:25 AM
I am disgusted but not surprised. What disgusts me more is McClaren's £2.5m payoff for being one of the worst managers in England's history.

What disgusts me most, however, is that I hear very few people calling for the head of Brian Barwick, the clown-in-chief who presided over the entire McClaren farce.

First he made a knee-jerk reaction and insisted Sven's successor would be appointed prior to the World Cup (the time when no good manager wants to leave their job...).

Second, instead of admitting his mistake and U-turning, he abided by it, totally botching the attempted appointment of Big Phil Scolari.

Third, instead of realising no good manager would desert their post pre-WC and postponing an appointment, he makes another knee-jerk reaction and hires Steve McClown, right-hand man to Sven's underperforming (though not by our current standards) England side.

Fourth, he laughably asserts that Stevie Mac was his first choice all along. Yes Brian. Of course he was. No, you're not a total shambles at all.

Easy as it is to hate McClaren, I do not. I reconigse he is a very mediocre manager who was thrust into a job that was totally beyond him. Failure was inevitable. We all knew it - had we qualified, we would have sucked in the tourney and he'd have gone after. It is Barwick's fault that he ever had the job, and he should fall on his sword accordingly.

Obviously, he will not. He is happily lining his pockets and does not appear to be accountable to anyone. Who the hell even is this man? I would love to see his CV or hear of his employment history. I am confounded as to how he got to be head of the FA. At least Adam Crozier had one hell of a CV before he got the job, though his involvement in football was questionable.

People will no doubt come out of the woodwork blaming the influx of foreigners / Arsene Wenger / the weather etc on the lack of English national footballing success. But IMO, look no further than jokers like Barwick.

Big Mac's successor? Any of:
- Jose Mourinho
- Fabio Capello
- Marcello Lippi

If Big Brian has his say, we'll probably be stuck with Alan Curbishley for the next 2 years.

Dilettante
11-23-2007, 12:53 AM
I admit I was surprised. One expect England to be in the big competitions. Honestly, some time ago I thought that Spain was the team to be left out.

At least this ends the McLaren era.

World Cup is basically an Euro Cup plus Brazil and Argentina (and some eventual interesting teams, i.e. from Africa), but without some strong European teams that have to face a tough pre-clasification.

PimpMyGame
11-23-2007, 02:04 AM
At least this ends the McLaren era.

The one good thing to come out of that awful match.

Someone mentioned Gus Hiddink for manager. Good idea, but why would he take a step backwards? There are only a handful of people who could take this role and be successful. Maybe only one man can do it, but he's a mere 44 and I don't think he'll want a national job at this stage in his career.

However, the major immediate outcome of not qualifying is that we have been leapfrogged by Greece in the FIFA rankings and now are not among the top 9 European teams. This means that England will now have to face one of the "top" seeds in World Cup qualifying which could be Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy or heaven forbid Croatia.

I'd like to see Portugal do well next year, it could be a stage for Ronaldo to shine. In the meantime I'm looking forward to England being friendly match fodder for the likes of France, Italy and Germany. Not.

croatian sensation
11-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Cough cough...let's focus on a team which didn't give up at 2-2 though they didn't need it, on the contrary...had 4 more graet chances and turned one into a goal. :-)
England is one of my fav 3 teams in the world, and I'm sorry you guys are out...but it was time to do something way before the last match. A team that pretends to win big events should be able to secure their spot in them a little earlier :/
And well...you did have the bad luck to run in current Croatian team playing their best match so far.

Ross K
11-23-2007, 12:17 PM
No complaints or excuses - Billic and Croatia out-played, out-thought, and outfought England completely.

As for the next England manager though... really... why delay it for weeks and weeks?... Cappello says he wants the job... that's the same Fabio Cappello who has won just about everything (scudetto, Spannish title, Champions league, etc)... or do we truly want the totally untried Shearer, or the hardly mega-succesful Redknapp, or Martin 'what's he actually ever won?' O'Neill (although I think he might now have ruled himself out, along with the far better qualified Mourinho and Wenger.)

masha4ever#1
11-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah...Russia qualified for Euro 08. Austria, Germany and Russia all the way!!! GO GO GO

Feña14
11-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Come on Fena! Lamps has consistently been crap for England for a long time and everybody knows it!?... :???:

Not that Gerrard has played a whole lot better in the last few years (and certainly not on Wednesday night when he was utterly dismal.) Up until the other night, IMO, it was the criminally unappreciated Barry who had been playing very well in the midfield. As for Wright-Phillips, I think he's a little too much of a headless chicken most of the time, but I can see an unfit, ageing, Beckham wasn't perhaps the solution for a 90 whole minutes.

However, if I had to pick on someone, rather than the forever underachieving Lampard, or the often underachieving Stevie G, or speedy-gonzales-on-crack Sean Wright-Phillips, or the country's best known rabbit/goalkeeper-caught-in-headlights Scott Carson, or the lumbering Sol Cambell, or the I've-suddenly-and-completely-lost-all-knowledge-relating-to--how-to-defend Wayne Bridge, or any of Wednesday night's prize zeros, the name that has to take the no. 1 position can be no-one else other than Steve McClaren :oops:... who, incidentally, I'm sure I heard yesterday, now has the very worst record of any England boss EVER.

BTW EVERYONE, WHO DO YOU THINK SHOULD GET THE MANAGER'S JOB NOW?

Pretty much all true yeah :)

I don't think Lampard has been bad though, people have got it in to their heads that he has been bad. He even scored against Germany and got boo'd!

As for the next manager.. I want Lippi.

He's the right age, he won the World Cup last year! The football Italy played was fantastic aswell, Italian football has a reputation of being very defensive and dull but the way he got them attacking, whilst maintaining the great defensive qualities was amazing.

That's what I think anyway.