PDA

View Full Version : Roddick's Classy Interview (unlike Safin's)

Free_Martha
03-19-2004, 08:54 PM
ANDY RODDICK

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Andy.

Q. As you said yesterday, there's not much between you when you two play. Same again today.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I told him when we shook hands that next time we'll have to play a close one.

Q. How are you feeling after this match?
ANDY RODDICK: Obviously I'm disappointed. I didn't play horribly. You know, I played pretty well. I gave myself a chance to win there in the second set. He played an amazing game to break up until I duffed that overhead in the third. But to get to Love-40, I mean, there wasn't much I could have done to prevent it.
I hit a 113 serve up the T, he kind of hit it like there wasn't a whole lot behind it, came in, you know, hit a clean winner off the next one.
Credit goes to him. He just toughed me out.

Q. In a sense you read the match perfectly because you said he gets so much good ball back in play, gives himself a chance in so many rallies that other players wouldn't do.
ANDY RODDICK: Absolutely. I don't know quite how to explain it, but he has insane control of his racquet head where he can take a 130 serve and almost just swing about that much and poke it deep. You know, that's what makes him such a good player, I guess, or one of the things that makes him such a good player.

Q. What are the others?
ANDY RODDICK: There's lots. He volleys okay, in case you didn't notice that (smiling). He can hit a couple half-volley dropshot winners that aren't very annoying at all.

Q. Your little volley winner for the first set.
ANDY RODDICK: Did you like that? That's my quota for the year.

Q. Did you play that match on your terms or was it played on his?
ANDY RODDICK: I think I played it more on my terms than maybe, you know, a couple of the other ones. In the second set breaker, started off with a double, pulled a forehand. If I make those, maybe it's 3-1. Such little difference.
But, you know, he just took it to me in that 4-All game. I don't know, whatever, whenever I got broken. But, you know, he was just too good in that game.

Q. He started very well, the match, didn't he, getting to 4-2?
ANDY RODDICK: It's tough, that first game, you know, I started with a double, missed a forehand. When you're in a hole against Tim, you know you're going to have to play at least a -- I'm not going to just have my serve to bail me out against Tim. He's going to get something in play. He's going to make you hit it. That's definitely not the way I wanted to start.

Q. Did you have a good look at the on match point, his serve? Were you handcuffed?
ANDY RODDICK: I thought I had a pretty good read on it. I think I was just a little out in front of it. It was weird because it wasn't quite a kick and it wasn't flat, which is kind of what he was going to, either one or the other.
You know, I was a little bit out in front of it. It was probably, you know, this much difference. I just pulled it.

Q. You've been full of compliments for him for the last two or three days. Does it surprise you that over the years he's won one Masters Series and no slams, with the class and quality he's got?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, but, you know, if you look at almost who he's lost to in the slams, they're pretty good players. Surprised me that maybe he hadn't just broken through to get one. But, you know, if it was that easy, everyone would do it, you know.

Q. What do you think you did differently when you beat him at The Open that you didn't do today?
ANDY RODDICK: It was just a matter of winning the bigger points. I don't think I lost one big point at The Open. You know, I don't think he played as well. You know, our matches have been so close. I could easily just as easily be up 4-0 as down 3-1. But that's just the way the -- the nature of the beast. That's the way it goes.
Luckily at The Open, kind of everything just went my way in that match, a little bit more so than the others.

Q. Were the lady fans distracting you or just him getting to you?
ANDY RODDICK: No, it was probably just me not wanting to blame myself.

Q. Just assess your season. I know we're not that deep in. One title, I think you've lost four close matches.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah.

Q. Do you feel like you're progressing? What else do you have to do to get to where you want to go?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it's -- you know, it's been a little frustrating because it surprised the heck out of me yesterday. I was watching -- I don't feel like I've played my best tennis. I feel like I'm really on the verge of playing really good ball. It's just, you know, losing matches like today, where I feel like I have a chance, maybe just not getting to that next step. So it's a little frustrating.
But I'm not too worried. I mean, maybe I'm just making up for all the close matches I won last summer, I don't know. Maybe it's evening out. But it surprised me because -- I really haven't paid too much attention to the race or anything like that. I was watching yesterday. They showed the graphic that before Andre's match I was three in the race still somehow. So that was kind of -- that was nice to see, that, you know, even though I feel like I can still definitely improve upon the results that I've had so far this year, that I'm kind of still in the top little echelon.

Q. When did you last play your very best tennis, would you say?
ANDY RODDICK: That's tough to say. Maybe I've only played my best tennis once in my life. It's tough to say. But I don't know. That's a tough question.

Q. Would you use the run into The Open and The Open?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I think so. I think anytime you can win 19 matches in a row, I think that's kind of the standard - at least for me. But, you know, at the same time that's not what I'm looking to get to. I'm looking to try to kind of get past that.

Q. 7 of 11 sets against Henman with you have gone into tiebreakers. Why do you think so many go into tiebreakers?
ANDY RODDICK: Because we each get to 6.

Q. You seem very evenly matched up?
ANDY RODDICK: We are very evenly matched up, like we've talked about. You know, in two of my three losses, I've had match point against him. In the other, I lost 6-6. I'm not sure why. Obviously it's a good match-up. Besides that, I'm not really sure.

Q. Does this make Miami a I don't want to say mandatory title run, but given what's happened over the past month and a half, how important is it for you to go to Miami and make another statement?
ANDY RODDICK: I love the crisis now, it's great.

Q. We have to have something to write about.
ANDY RODDICK: I guess so. That must mean I'm getting good.
No, I mean, I'd love to get through to a semi where you really feel like you're within striking distance of getting a title. But more importantly, I just need to pull out a couple tough wins. I feel like I'm playing a lot better now than when I came to that tournament.
You know, I just got to try to keep that up, keep that going into Miami.

edge
03-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Classy, sounds like he's toning it down. What did Gilbert have to say? What did Pat Mac have to say?

dander
03-19-2004, 09:31 PM
p-mack blamed it on mandy and tried to comfort him. you know, arm around him and all, i heard it was very romantic. the transcript is posted to asapsports.com

James Brown
03-20-2004, 12:07 AM
it wasnt that classy... but it was better than safins...safin is normally a great guy, if you saw what he said when he lost both aus open finals, he was very gracious, no ill will, thanked the fans, thanks all coaches,etc.. hes a great guy, he just knew he shoulda beat roddick and he was mad at himself :<

jun
03-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Andy Roddick can get emotional on the court, make a scene or whatever. These scenes can make him look like a jerk and an *****. These generally come from his emotion and I don't think he means any harm to the other player..

You read his interview, he hardly say degrading things about the opponent. He will say that he didn't think he played too well or he didn't serve too well, but he will give the credit to the other player. It's much like a few other players like Sampras, Agassi, and Todd Martin and other nice players.

I think his court behaviour often sends wrong message to both fans and other players. I personally don't like his game too much...But I do acknowledge that he seems like a pretty nice guy

sseemiller
03-20-2004, 02:22 AM
Actually, the interview was very entertaining. Lots of laughter. Andy was joking around quite a bit for someone who had just lost a close match. And he was asked all those questions by British journalists for the most part. I could tell by the accents.

When Andy was done and got up to leave, the ATP rep said Tim Henman would be right up.

And as Andy opened the door, he yelled down the hall, in a British accent, "Come on up, Tim."

As Andy left the court, though, he signed a few autographs, and then started to go inside to the locker room. From Ed's and my vantage we could see him smash a racquet -- but he did that out of sight. But not much gets by Geezer Ed and me. :lol:

The key to the third set was the botched overhead when Andy was broken in the third set. Ed said to me, "He's going to think about that shot over and over tonight." And sure enough, it was one of the things he mentioned in his interview.

Tim's interview was interesting, too, although it went on forever. The British journalists can't get enough of Tim. :lol: The most interesting thing is that he's been here playing golf with Pete and Paul Annacone. He said Pete has lots of pull to play at the best golf courses. :D

All the journos were daring each other to ask the Mandy question, but no one got up the nerve to do so. :lol:

SonicSpeed
03-20-2004, 02:51 AM
How do you know they were daring each other to ask that question? LOL

sseemiller
03-20-2004, 03:40 AM
Because I heard them asking each other whether they were going to ask it. A couple of them asked me to ask him, and I wasn't going there on that. *lol*

gofederer
03-20-2004, 04:34 AM
Andy Roddick can get emotional on the court, make a scene or whatever. These scenes can make him look like a jerk and an *****. These generally come from his emotion and I don't think he means any harm to the other player..

You read his interview, he hardly say degrading things about the opponent. He will say that he didn't think he played too well or he didn't serve too well, but he will give the credit to the other player. It's much like a few other players like Sampras, Agassi, and Todd Martin and other nice players.

I think his court behaviour often sends wrong message to both fans and other players. I personally don't like his game too much...But I do acknowledge that he seems like a pretty nice guy

this is exactly what i was thinking of... i was kinda surprised to see him behave quite differently at interviews

Free_Martha
03-20-2004, 09:04 AM
What did Gilbert have to say? What did Pat Mac have to say?

Um, about what?

Roddick always gives good interviews. I've never heard him trash or disrespect another player in an interview.

rommil
03-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Maybe.. yet the main thing that I do not like seeing is when Roddick argues with the umpire well after the points have been done. He just keeps going and going with his raves.He has a point that I realize but he needs to drop it and keep going.He has done this repeatedly over the past. Also, I could be wrong, he tries to be cutesy with his interviews.

sseemiller
03-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Rommil, I think Andy is a competitor on court, but when he's off court, and has to do the media thing, he's very diplomatic, and even tries to be entertaining (even after a tough loss).

He and Tim get along very well, and the respect is there, on court and off. Couldn't get much better when Andy yelled down the hallway to Tim, in an English accent, "Come on up, Tim." And then someone else in the media room said, "Jolly good show." Perhaps it was Andy, but I think the person was complimenting Andy actually. Too many British understatements going around. *lol*

Susan

boris becker 1
03-24-2004, 04:39 AM
Tim doesent get enough credit in this country for the good person he is . Have known him and one of his brothers for a long time My grandmother and his Mum are friends.

The things that he does for charity and the way he treats his fans are exemplary. He is everything a professional athlete should be.

The poor bloke deserves to win Wimbledon one year. Britain would go absolutely mad

chad shaver
03-24-2004, 06:57 AM
I wish he could win, too. It's going to be hard though, with so many people on his case about it.

Cypo
03-24-2004, 07:35 AM
"Q. 7 of 11 sets against Henman with you have gone into tiebreakers. Why do you think so many go into tiebreakers?
ANDY RODDICK: Because we each get to 6."

Best quote of the interview !

sliceroni
03-24-2004, 08:01 AM
It doesn't matter what he says, it matters what he does. Act disrespectful on the court and be a saint in the interview. He can say anything he wants and be as nice as he wants during post match interviews but actions always speak louder than words.

rommil
03-26-2004, 10:20 PM
What Cypo had quoted what Roddick said in that interview is one example for me that he TRIES to be cutesy . Apparently some people thought his response was clever. I beg to disagree....