PDA

View Full Version : Court-Surface speed

leonidas1982
11-23-2007, 11:44 AM
What is the point of constantly changing the speed of the court. One might as well change the surface in the end. As Lendl said, what makes a great tournament great is its tradition and consistency.

These characteristics are what makes each Slam unique. They've slowed down the courts at Wimbledon and the US; Australia is having its identity issues; what is next, Will they change the clay courts at Roland Garros to Green Clay to speed up the game?

Loco4Tennis
11-23-2007, 02:10 PM
my take on this is that the ITF does not want too many "one hit woders" like roddick and others that just bash away or just serve due t the new racquets out now
not only are the courts changing like you mentioned, but ive read that the ball manufacturers are also designing the balls differenttly to either speed up or slow the game down to this end
while i am all for tradition, i do see the issue the ITF is trying to deal with, with the new batch of tennis players coming down the pipe

leonidas1982
11-23-2007, 05:28 PM
I don't mind so much changing the characteristics of the ball; that alone should balance out the racquet technology. But the characteristics of the court is what makes each grand slam. Without the difference, all one has is the same grand slam with a different color playing surface.

Australian- Neutral, fast, but with a higher bounce

French - Endurance/Stamina and patience

Wimbledon - Speed and serve and volley

US Open - Most neutral and big hitters

With Changes:

Australian - Neutral

French - Neutral

Wimbledon - Neutral

US Open - Neutral

*Boring*

shintan17
11-23-2007, 05:40 PM
I don't mind so much changing the characteristics of the ball; that alone should balance out the racquet technology. But the characteristics of the court is what makes each grand slam. Without the difference, all one has is the same grand slam with a different color playing surface.

Australian- Neutral, fast, but with a higher bounce

French - Endurance/Stamina and patience

Wimbledon - Speed and serve and volley

US Open - Most neutral and big hitters

With Changes:

Australian - Neutral

French - Neutral

Wimbledon - Neutral

US Open - Neutral
*Boring*

LOL!...it's almost true. I think US Open is still pretty quick, though it has slowed down a bit. It's ridiculous how slow the grass is nowadays...I am curious to see how the new surface plays out in the AO..

leonidas1982
11-23-2007, 06:12 PM
LOL!...it's almost true. I think US Open is still pretty quick, though it has slowed down a bit. It's ridiculous how slow the grass is nowadays...I am curious to see how the new surface plays out in the AO..

You won't have have to wait much longer. A taste of "new" tennis starts in January.