PDA

View Full Version : possible tennis instruction web site, feedback/input please!

tennisproian
11-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Greetings fellow tennis enthusiasts.

I'm mulling over the idea of starting a tennis instruction web site. This site will feature online lessons and articles. Members will also have the ability to contact directly a tennis professional for advice and specific questions on technique or strategy. Also there will be a pro shop featuring tennis rackets and other equipment.

Lessons will cover every aspect of tennis, including specific technique lessons for every stroke, strategy, and mental toughness lessons. Each lesson will be available in either video, audio, or text format, whatever the member finds most convenient.

Assuming that the site is professionally done, is well run and maintained, and the information is presented well and is helpful, what kind of price per month would you guys pay for this site's use? I will include a poll.

Also, what other features would you like to see if you were a member of such a site?

All feedback welcomed.

tennisproian
11-28-2007, 07:24 PM
over 6,000 posts for "best legs", but not one for online instruction? :-?

TokyopunK
11-28-2007, 07:26 PM
I dont think anyone will pay since you can just go to this forum and get all the free tips you need!

TENNIS_IS_FUN
11-28-2007, 09:23 PM
I dont think anyone will pay since you can just go to this forum and get all the free tips you need!

I agree. There are so many resources online where you can get free Tennis tips and such that paying is out of the question. Jeff's hi-tech tennis is another story. What he has there not everyone can get a hold of, especially the quantity of videos he has.

Leelord337
11-28-2007, 10:11 PM
youtube.com's got ya beat to it w/free tennis instructional videos, and tennis.com has all the tips

SFrazeur
11-28-2007, 11:12 PM
over 6,000 posts for "best legs", but not one for online instruction? :-?

To be able to get people to pay for your site you've got to have some real goods. What you have described above. . . will not even begin to cover it. You basically described TW/Talk Tennis. Is it the best at all those things described? No. Is it still great though and free? Damn straight.

If you are going to go through with this idea then you need to at lest temporarily join some of the pay sites, such as Hi-techtennis.com/tennisplayer.net, which you do not seem to have done. I can gather that as you are asking for a price point here. If had you joined sites like those and/or at lest judged their popularity you would already know what your price point was going to be. If a professional, in/at anything, does not know what his product is worth than I would be highly suspect. You do not even seem to have real clue at what your content will be for certain, nor know what the overhead is going to cost, at what you do know. If you knew that then you would know what your minimum charge will be. Your post seems more like a question of: how much I can get away with charging.

You are not even out of the idea stage with this one. Do some real analytical research.

Am I trying to be mean? I prefer the term "critical," I am pulling things apart and examining them.

-SF

tzinc
11-29-2007, 01:24 AM
There are already some tennis sites for pay and for free out there with instruction it would be tough competing but that's free market for you sometimes you can beat em and sometimes they dont get beat.

tennisproian
11-29-2007, 04:55 AM
ah yes, good some posts now, thank you all for your input.

Yes indeed, there is a lot of competition out there, as you've all pointed out. Thats the great thing about the internet, just about anything you're interested in you can find an abundance of information about. Tennis is definitely no exeption.

I guess in order for my idea to be successful, my information needs to be either much better than average, or have much more of it than average and be well organized. Probably more so the first one.

If all of the vast amounts of tennis "tips" out there were so good, it would seem strange that there's tens of thousands of tennis professionals charging $50-$60 per hour for their information. If a site was full of such information, it would seem that half of that amount per month would be quite reasonable.

SFrazeur:

Simply because I ask a question doesn't mean that I haven't thought about it, reasearched it, or even that I don't already know the answer myself. I'm simply looking for feedback. Your "critical" statements weren't helpful.

Any other feedback appreciated :)

SFrazeur
11-29-2007, 10:00 AM
The truth and reality is always helpful, but not always liked or appreciated.

You came here and asked about a business, I gave you critiques and answers on business. I am a tennis instructor, I have been teaching for six years, so I know tennis and I know some business.

On cost, keep in mind that while the price of your proposed site per month may comparatively be a great deal, that does not mean people will find your price of $25-$30 reasonable. There is a certain expectation of price on the internet. Which is somewhere between free and cheap. If your not either one of those, than you've got to have something that no one else does. An abundance of information will not cut it. You either need a better, special, or unique way to teach that material that other's do not. Or you need a new take on things.

-SF

chroix
11-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Pay sites on the web? What have you got that I can't get for free somewhere else? Who are you or who will be affiliated with your site that would make me want ot pay?

"If all of the vast amounts of tennis "tips" out there were so good, it would seem strange that there's tens of thousands of tennis professionals charging $50-$60 per hour for their information. If a site was full of such information, it would seem that half of that amount per month would be quite reasonable."

A pro can correct your form, etc. on the spot. A tip site can show you the right way, but can also allow you to fall into very bad habits. $25-30 for tips sounds like a pipe dream to me. An example for you: I can add tennis channel to my cable for $10 and subcribe to tennis magazine for $25 for the year. I'd rethink my price point or the concept as a whole. It is a pretty oversaturated market as it is. Best of luck.

tennisproian
11-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Chroix and SFrazeur:

Thank you for the constructive replies, good thoughts.

You guys are both spot on, there is vast amounts of information on the web, either for very cheap or for free.

Chroix, to answer your questions, I've been teaching tennis professionally for many years now, after having graduated from a college program specifically for people who want to become tennis professionals. A four year college endorsed by the USPTA, the program is Professional Tennis Management. I spend 50 hours a week playing, teaching, and thinking about tennis at work, and I have a bachelors degree in Business. This site is a way that I would like to expand my career in tennis, and as a business person.

What I can't stand about a great percentage of the tennis information on the internet, is that the vast majority of it is "tips". I hate the word "tip", heh. A single thought or idea meant to convey a certain technique or theory. When a client is on my court, I don't deliver "tips", I give them a method and a system to follow. Just like anything else, there are certain underlying truths and laws that pertain to technique and competition in tennis. The more I teach the more I learn whats truely important to focus on.

Anyway, my site idea would be to capture as much of this as possible, in video lesson format for people to access. Unlike the tips on other site, this will have a full system to follow for every stroke, it would be my goal to make it as comprehensive as possible as I continued to add content.

That is why I Believe it will be worth paying for.......I guess my biggest thing to figure out is how much. And if some people don't think at face value its worth it, then thats fine with me. I used to think that you could make everybody happy if you just tried hard enough, now I know thats not true, haha.

Sorry for the rambling, just trying to articulate

AmericanTemplar
11-29-2007, 01:28 PM
SFrazeur:

Simply because I ask a question doesn't mean that I haven't thought about it, reasearched it, or even that I don't already know the answer myself.

So have you joined either of the aforementioned sites? How much do you think that you can charge?

P.S.- If you need funding to get this project up and running, maybe you should put your hat out to all of the folks who pre-ordered Quantums.:razz:

tricky
11-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Realistically, it depends on whether you're trying to teach "pro" strokes, or whether you're intending a more beginner/intermediate instruction site. If it's the latter, then you're probably in the $0-10 range.

If it's the former, you probably top out at $30/month (which itself is considered expensive), and you'll be largely judged by the clips of actual pros you offer.