PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use protective head tape for racquets?

voltman
03-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Is it worth it?

Kirko
03-19-2004, 08:29 PM
No its a gimmick.

Simbah2004
03-20-2004, 04:05 AM
If you put two layers of head tape around your racquet when playing on hard courts, you are able to protect it. If you "chip" it on the floor, these two layers should be able to prevent scratches to your frame. It happens quite often, but the drawback is that you will have to frequently replace the head tape.

marty fewcott
03-20-2004, 04:06 AM
If you play on asphalt ("tarmac") and use an oversize or Yonex (the top "corner" is vulnerable) then definitely. The Head stuff is pretty good. The surface still cuts through to the frame/bumper, but chunks won't come out of the bumper. Most bumpers don't wrap far enough round the cross section. Also the stringers often don't have the replacement bumper needed, so there is a wait (unless ordered in advance). Best to prevent damage in the first place than pay to fix it later.

Ronaldo
03-20-2004, 05:51 AM
With Estusa or Babolat (darkside makes flimsy headguards), tape is a prerequisite. Wilson's paint is so bad, it may adhere to the tape.

python
03-20-2004, 06:27 AM
I do. Grommets take much longer to wear out than bumper guards do. It makes sense to use head tape if you don't mind the slight change in weight and balance.

Phil
03-20-2004, 06:59 AM
Why is it a "gimmick", Kirko?

Anonymous
03-20-2004, 10:49 AM
it's good stuff, especially if you play on hard courts
i use the wilson kind,
anybody know how much this stuff weighs? i dont have a scale

Tenny
03-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Like 1-2 layers.
I prefer running faster to trying to scoop up too low ball. I rarely rub my beloved racquets on the hard court. I'd give a score to my opponent rather than damage my racquets! But just in case, cheap black tape works very well for me. I put the tape around the head of racquets. It looks cool too (all black-no string can be seen outside of the frame). Under the lights, it looks mean! :D :twisted:

Kirko
03-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Phil I think it does little or nothing never used it . with a bummper guard you're already there & most people move on to another frame to warrant it , but what do I know ?

edge
03-20-2004, 05:58 PM
I guess nothing, seeing that you have never used it. I use it all the time. It makes your grommet last longer.

Kirko
03-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Yes I know keeping that bumper guard going strong is very important . I have seen players use it & when they scrape the court it tears & abrades the hoop of the racket . Things are meant to be used not worshipped.

!<-_->!
03-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Yes, I use the Gamma kind. In addition to the head tape however, I put strips of electircal tape on top of the Gamma tape. This helps protect further. Also the electrical tape is easier to replace(I'm too lazy to constantly replace the Gamma one). I have a friend that uses only electircal tape from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock and it seems to work pretty well. Lastly, I've tried to tape up a MegaAge racquet with electrical tape. Well, only the first few sentences are useful. After that, it's all superfulous.

Deuce
03-21-2004, 12:56 AM
I think wrapping tennis string around the top of the frame - in a continuous series of 'circles' - offers much better protection than mere tape. Tennis string is more resistant. It might look a little odd, but it works well. A thick nylon is good for this purpose. A company used to sell a plastic thing that would wrap around like that - don't know if they still exist.

This is another reason that the Prince Magnesium 90 is the best frame ever made. Of course, it had tremendous feel. But it was also indestructable in this sense. No wimpy bumper needed on that thing. You could go down and scrape the court on every shot, and it would take about 100 years to wear it down.

Ronaldo
03-21-2004, 05:16 AM
Deuce, ever find a single Mag 90 with the head still in its original shape? With so many players flipping racquets, keeping the paint free of scrapes makes financial sense.

Benjamin
03-21-2004, 05:31 AM
Yes....Gamma Dura Guard (or something like that) that is clear. Protects the racquet and adds a little weight to the head. Always used it and always will. I only change it when I get the racquet restrung.

Benjamin

Grimjack
03-21-2004, 06:01 AM
Ugh. Wretched stuff, head tape. The minimal protective benefits aren't nearly worth the way it screws up the balance. Not to mention the monumental ugliness of the stuff on an otherwise attractive frame.

That said, I suppose it might be worthwhile if you're somebody fond of throwing your racquet or otherwise flying into racquet-destroying hissy fits.

FaSteStSeRvE1613
03-21-2004, 10:58 AM
i dont use head tape because it makes the racquets very head heavy, take feel away, and dont last.

Phil
03-21-2004, 06:21 PM
[quote]Phil I think it does little or nothing never used it . with a bummper guard you're already there &amp; most people move on to another frame to warrant it , but what do I know ?[quote]

Kirko - If you've never used it, then you're not really qualified to comment, are you? However, as a non-worshiper of racquets, I will tell you that if you're a serve and volleyer, your racquet will hit the ground quite a bit-the tape not only protects the bumper guard, but also the frame itself from cracks resulting from constant, multiple bumps.

Deuce
03-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Ron - Not really. That was the only drawback of the Mags. It was such a soft and comfortable frame that it would actually bend from regular use over time .

Larry Stefanki was coming off a practice court with Tim Henman a couple of years ago, and I spotted (from about 200 feet away) that he was holding what appeared to be a Mag 90. I raced over there as fast as I could and, on approaching him, my eyes confirmed that it was indeed a Mag 90. I was shocked. As Henman signed autographs, I said to Stefanki "I haven't seen anyone holding one of those for a long while. You obviously recognize the unique magic of this precious frame." He laughed and said "Oh, yeah - it does have quite a special feeling." I asked him how many he had (I was always hoping to get my hands on at least one brand new one - I hope still). He said "I've got one left at home. Actually, I've got about 5 or 6 - but all except one are spooned." By 'spooned', he meant the rough shape of a spoon - which is one of several shapes this great frame can take after repeated stringings and impacts.

Hawaii 5.0
03-21-2004, 09:37 PM
I had my MW 200g's(still do) and never changed their bumper/grommets becuase I strung them all myself and had excellent grommet condition(even after 30+) string jobs per frame.The bumpers were durable, but the best way to prevent damage is not to scrape the ground.I was very careful to not scrape,throw,damage the frame and they are still in 9/10 condition after years fo use, but they are dead or dying from hard play,travel,many stringjobs.Most of my frame never need bumper replacement becuase I care for them and much prefer to put the work in to get to balls.

Phil
03-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Honestly, how do you prevent scratches to the bumpers by not scraping the ground, if you actually play tennis and come to the net often? I've been to pro matches and I've seen the pros scrape concrete on very low balls several feet in front of them. You must really "put the work in" or else you're better than the pros.

@wright
03-22-2004, 08:18 AM
I just give up on low balls, 10 points a match isn't worth messing up my pretty paint!