PDA

View Full Version : England draw Ukraine, Croatia for 2010 WC Qualies, to miss out on South Africa 2010

NickC
11-25-2007, 04:53 PM
It's true. The groups are drawn, and England is in Group A, along with Croatia and Ukraine. Ukraine is a fairly decent side who are dangerous at home (especially when Schevchenko is playing well) and Croatia Speaks for itself. Poor England. No Euro 2008 for them, and most likely no South Africa 2010.

Shahar26
11-25-2007, 05:02 PM
A bit ironic.....

I think that if they get a good coach (like Harry Redknapp), they will qualify, they have the talent, they just need a coach that knows football....

Israel got a fairly easy group, I hope they get their act together and qualify!

forzainter
11-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Scotland are going to qualify all the way!!!!!!

PimpMyGame
11-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Point of order: England were drawn in Group 6, not Group A as you state.

Due to the breadth of talent within European national teams, I for one am happy that England drew Croatia. I would have preferred Greece, but in my mind I am happy that we avoided one of the big seven.

England will romp home in Group 6 leaving Ukraine second, Kazakhstan third and Croatia fourth.

mdjenders
11-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Nah, England will be fine. They have lots of time to prepare!

Also, Scotland did get a very nice draw!

Jonnyf
11-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Nah, England will be fine. They have lots of time to prepare!

Also, Scotland did get a very nice draw!

Except for the fact that in the 5 team group only the top team goes through. Suddenly Holland doesn't sound so simple

mdjenders
11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Except for the fact that in the 5 team group only the top team goes through. Suddenly Holland doesn't sound so simple

The way Holland have been playing recently, it doesn't sound too bad to me. Maybe Van Basten will be gone by that time and they will be back. Also, one home-and-away playoff for a spot for the second place teams is not a bad chance.

NickC
11-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Billy Davies for England National Team boss! Derby parted with him this morning...I could see that happening. And the reason Redknapp isn't going to manage England is...uh, let's just say he's at Portsmouth and not one of the bigger clubs indicates something...

And whoever said Croatia isn't going to go anywhere against England probably wasn't watching when Paul Robinson dropped a ball into his own net last November against Croatia(I could be wrong with the date), and definitly wasn't watching last Wednesday.

(EDIT: my bad for incorrectly naming the Group as Group A. It should be UEFA WCQ Group 6)

skip1969
11-27-2007, 04:52 PM
a friend and i are trying to get out acts together to go to south africa for 2010. that alone should inspire england to win the group - heh!

i think they'll be fine, after the embarrassment of this euro qualifying. get a good manager in (mourinho threw his hat in today) and bring in some of the young talent with some hunger and drive . . . and they should be safely in.

then i will fly halfway across the globe to watch them underachieve at a world cup IN PERSON.

Shahar26
11-27-2007, 07:25 PM
a friend and i are trying to get out acts together to go to south africa for 2010. that alone should inspire england to win the group - heh!

i think they'll be fine, after the embarrassment of this euro qualifying. get a good manager in (mourinho threw his hat in today) and bring in some of the young talent with some hunger and drive . . . and they should be safely in.

then i will fly halfway across the globe to watch them underachieve at a world cup IN PERSON.

Better there than in Wembley ;)

I hope to go there too, especially if Israel will find a way to qualify.....

tennis_nerd22
11-27-2007, 07:34 PM
that would be really funny if they missed the WC... it would be like Canada not winning a medal in the olympics for hockey... haha

here's a better comparison: it would be like roger not winning at least one slam in a year :D

Shahar26
11-27-2007, 08:35 PM
here's a better comparison: it would be like roger not winning at least one slam in a year :D

It's actually nothing like it at all :shock:

Roger has 12 slams (if I'm not mistaken).

England has 1 WC from over 40 years ago, and I don't remember them winning the European championship either....

Feņa14
11-27-2007, 09:55 PM
It's actually nothing like it at all :shock:

Roger has 12 slams (if I'm not mistaken).

England has 1 WC from over 40 years ago, and I don't remember them winning the European championship either....

I think he meant if we didn't qualify lol.. not win the whole thing :)