PDA

View Full Version : Norton Anti-Virus

CanadianChic
11-26-2007, 04:33 PM
I need help from anyone who understands the Norton Anti-Virus. My mom bought the package and downloaded it, following the instructions in the manual to the letter. She turned off her computer as instructed and when she turned it back on there was only a screen. No tool bar, no shortcuts or icons, no start menu. We have no clue what to do and the IT guy can't come help until later in the week. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks so much in advance.

~CC

dacrymn
11-26-2007, 04:44 PM
aha....norton anti-virus eh.....

I hate that stuff. Personally I just wouldn't use it (plus it kinda slows down your computer, but all constant virus scanners do that), but I'm sure that's not what you want to hear right now. If there isn't anything showing up but your computer is in general working, it's probably some minor drivers that went missing. In that case you'll have to restore them, and then i would wait for that IT guy. Probably "explorer.exe" went missing.

CanadianChic
11-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks dacrymn, I'll pass that along. Unfortunately all she has is a mouse but no start menu to be able to restore. Argh!

gjoc
11-26-2007, 04:55 PM
I need help from anyone who understands the Norton Anti-Virus. My mom bought the package and downloaded it, following the instructions in the manual to the letter. She turned off her computer as instructed and when she turned it back on there was only a screen. No tool bar, no shortcuts or icons, no start menu. We have no clue what to do and the IT guy can't come help until later in the week. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks so much in advance.

~CC

What version of which product were you trying to install, and what type of computer and operating system is it?

You should call Norton--my understanding is that phone technical support is free for installation issues.

I'm not sure if the number below is for your particular product and issue, but its one number for Norton technical support, and if its the wrong one, Im sure theyd be able to tell you the right one.

877-832-2811

Complimentary online documentation and live support through chat, email or phone for installation and known issues.

Other phone support issues are charged a fee.

CanadianChic
11-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Oh gjoc thanks for the number. I'm not exactly sure which product she bought, but I just called and gave it to her - I'm sure someone there will either help her or forward her on to someone who can.

I appreciate the responses very much.

Leelord337
11-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Oh gjoc thanks for the number. I'm not exactly sure which product she bought, but I just called and gave it to her - I'm sure someone there will either help her or forward her on to someone who can.

I appreciate the responses very much.

Norton will always use extra Ram when running, this is what slows your computer down, I would suggest you increase your ram, a stick of ram costs about $20 for sd ram. Also I would suggest you download Adaware SE and Spybot Search and destroy from www.download.com they're both great programs to get rid of spyware that Norton doesn't detect sometimes.

also about the norton program, you could reinsert the norton CD and say reinstall or repair the existing version.

What type of specs are on your computer?

Fedace
11-26-2007, 07:45 PM

~CC

You can just call the help line, and they will walk you thru it. It is free of charge since you bought it and didn't pirate it. there are some very kind indian techs that will spend hours with you if need be/:)

TokyopunK
11-26-2007, 07:48 PM
If you can press CTRL/ALT/DEL to bring up the menu and then go to Task Manager and then File -- New Task (run) and run C:/system then the icons should reappear. If you can that is.

mucat
11-26-2007, 08:24 PM
aha....norton anti-virus eh.....

I hate that stuff. Personally I just wouldn't use it (plus it kinda slows down your computer, but all constant virus scanners do that), but I'm sure that's not what you want to hear right now. If there isn't anything showing up but your computer is in general working, it's probably some minor drivers that went missing. In that case you'll have to restore them, and then i would wait for that IT guy. Probably "explorer.exe" went missing.

Ha yes. Norton anti-virus use tons of hard drive space, slow down the computer, it is worse than the virus it's suppose to clean.

abenguyen
11-26-2007, 08:46 PM
ctrl + alt + delete? try it yet? you can go with the mouse from there.

otherwise just wait for the 'IT' guy to fix it

Freedom
11-26-2007, 08:50 PM
No fear CC, I actually like my Norton Antivirus. ;)

I also do reccomend getting more RAM. Installing new RAM sticks is very simple-I'm sure you can find a tutorial online or help in a store. If not, feel free to ask here. :)

The_1337
11-26-2007, 10:08 PM
go to task manager and see if explorer.exe is there. if it isn't, try running it.

btw, why did your mom get norton? ive seen kaspersky sold at many stores.

CanadianChic
11-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll go over tomorrow and try your suggestions out - certainly I can't hurt the beast at this point.

tzinc
11-26-2007, 11:20 PM
There is a free anti-virus program called AVG that I like better then Norton. And I think it works better too.

chess9
11-27-2007, 03:57 AM
There is a free anti-virus program called AVG that I like better then Norton. And I think it works better too.

Amen! I use AVG Free. Works like a charm.

-Robert

movdqa
11-27-2007, 09:50 AM
You might try booting to Safe Mode (directions at http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml ) and then removing Norton AV. Last time I did it, there were several pieces and they had to be removed in a particular order. That was an ancient corporate edition. I dumped Norton long ago. I went to AVG and then to Avast (AVG didn't have a 64-bit version).

Hot Sauce
11-27-2007, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't recommend Norton. I've gone through my fair share of anti-virus programs and have concluded it isn't worth it. Like above posters said, AVG is a great free anti-virus program, and also Trend Micro, or Panda. Also, free programs like Spyware S&D, and AdAware are good too.

xtremerunnerars
11-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Norton will always use extra Ram when running, this is what slows your computer down, I would suggest you increase your ram, a stick of ram costs about $20 for sd ram. Also I would suggest you download Adaware SE and Spybot Search and destroy from www.download.com they're both great programs to get rid of spyware that Norton doesn't detect sometimes.

also about the norton program, you could reinsert the norton CD and say reinstall or repair the existing version.

What type of specs are on your computer?

Major props on the spybot+adaware. If you installed norton...do yourself a favor and smash your computer until you can't tell that it used to be a computer. I hate that entire software suite!

That being said...it's good for very very basic users I guess (:confused:) but the prompts are often overwhelming. Just deal with the program and use it for the okay firewall.

As for your problem, I don't really know exactly without seeing it. Chances are very good that someone on some message board has already had your problem and you'll probably find a link via googling.

veryfatchocobo
11-27-2007, 05:58 PM
AVG Free is the best! I stopped liking Spybot and Ad-Aware after I used Spyware Terminator (http://www.spywareterminator.com/). It's a good idea to have another anti-spyware app though. Comodo Personal Firewall IMO is the best free firewall out there (http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/).