PDA

View Full Version : how to deal with stress

abenguyen
11-26-2007, 08:44 PM
so yea i'm tired and worn out from school and college apps. i can't seem to get things organized at all and it makes me worry. i can't seem to find anything to calm me down so that i can actually get to work, but sleeping. and sleeping doesn't really help as it wastes time during the day and i can get it at night

Freedom
11-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Just lay down in a quiet, dim room for a bit and breathe deep.

StealthGnome
11-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Find a good book. Go to a park for an hour and read. I love it.
There's a water reservoir a block a way from my house and there are benches at the top overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the Golden Gate Bridge. Breath taking.
Find a spot like mine and it will be great.

Tennis-Chris
11-26-2007, 09:21 PM
so yea i'm tired and worn out from school and college apps. i can't seem to get things organized at all and it makes me worry. i can't seem to find anything to calm me down so that i can actually get to work, but sleeping. and sleeping doesn't really help as it wastes time during the day and i can get it at night

There are very few ways to relieve stress that are better than a good workout. Get the endorphins surging through your body - The Ultimate Natural High! Push your body, it will love you because the stress will magically disappear. :mrgreen:

Swissv2
11-26-2007, 09:53 PM

Prioritize, but don't fret yourself. You seem to be experiencing a little bit of anxiousness like millions of other students.

abenguyen
11-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Prioritize, but don't fret yourself. You seem to be experiencing a little bit of anxiousness like millions of other students.

yes i want to get out of high school already even though this year seems to be going by so fast. i do need to prioritize but having a little trouble doing so!

junbumkim
11-27-2007, 02:32 PM
write down all the things you need to do....(make a checklist) and put a number next to it indicating what needs to be done first.

Put it in front of your desk.

Get a planner, and plan the day

Lakoste
11-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Get laid .

abenguyen
11-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Get laid .

lol not 18.

write down all the things you need to do....(make a checklist) and put a number next to it indicating what needs to be done first.

Put it in front of your desk.

Get a planner, and plan the day

i might try that but i've never really followed those. but i'll give it a shot thanks.

Hot Sauce
11-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Music and sleeping.

tbini87
11-27-2007, 03:57 PM
i agree with chris about working out, tennis, but the best of all imo is running. really gets your body going and lets you think and clear your mind. it will also loosen up your body and keep you in shape! try it out, and see if you like it. it really is a great way to burn off steam or get rid of stress.

abenguyen
11-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Music and sleeping.

music helps a little. and sleeping just makes me not want to do stuff.

Shashwat
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM
My stress relievers - tennis, music, running, working out, sleeping, or best of all, hang out with a big group of friends.

These things let me forget everything and just chilllll.

Shashwat
11-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Oh and Tig Ol' Bitties always help :twisted:

Alex09
11-27-2007, 06:33 PM
yep i work out when stressed abit, i am probalbly ur age, still in highskool, crap going on with parents, college apps also, working out is nice, i take my rage there, push and lift em weights till u pull a muscle, well dont go to far

El Diablo
11-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Nearly all responses here focus on non-specific techniques that have nothing to do with the nature of the stressor. You deal with stress by cognitively trying to identify why the situation is so stressful for you....pressure from parents?....peer pressure?....low self-esteem? Where you go to school is far less important than how well you do when you get there. This need not be a stressful time for you

abenguyen
11-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Nearly all responses here focus on non-specific techniques that have nothing to do with the nature of the stressor. You deal with stress by cognitively trying to identify why the situation is so stressful for you....pressure from parents?....peer pressure?....low self-esteem? Where you go to school is far less important than how well you do when you get there. This need not be a stressful time for you

well if you put it that way its not that bad. but i'm stressed because of the workload and my unorganization. more work is piled on me everyday and it just seems endless sometimes

abenguyen
11-27-2007, 08:07 PM
yep i work out when stressed abit, i am probalbly ur age, still in highskool, crap going on with parents, college apps also, working out is nice, i take my rage there, push and lift em weights till u pull a muscle, well dont go to far

yea im a senior in high school. i'm taking all AP classes so work is tough. and doing college stuff just adds more work. i know i'll get through it but i'm just so tired and sometimes just want to scream

Tempest344
11-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Play tennis

TENNIS_IS_FUN
11-27-2007, 08:26 PM
drugs and sex.

abenguyen
11-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Play tennis

i try to over the weekends, and it does help a little.

drugs and sex.

um thats alright, don't want to be getting into things that get me into jail so soon

CanadianChic
11-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I deal with a ridiculous amount of stress and it is job related so it accumulates and festers if I try to ignore it and push it to the back of my head. Over the years, I have come up with a few things that I find help me (not sure if you are interested or not):

- Light candles, burn aromatherapy incense and play some calming music such as Enya, Mary Fahl or even instrumental.

- Read a book. Something engrossing with interesting characters to completely take your mind off the stressful situation.

- Take a bubble bath - light some candles, sip a glass of wine and read or just close your eyes and soak for an hour.

- Get a lot of sleep.

- Drink tea.

- Meditate when you can completely shut your mind down for at least an hour. Turn the phone off.

- Clean. This always seems to help burn off anxiety. Get rid of clutter and fung shui your living space.

- Get some plants. They have a psychological effect on the mind.

- Go for long walks. Take your pet, your ipod, whatever...just get out there and walk it off.

Find a mind numbing activity to do if you have the time. If you don't have the time then make some. Crosswords, solitaire, knitting (yes, many men do knit even if they don't cough up to it). Something which forces you to momentarily take your mind off your issues and focus on something else.

- Take up kickboxing. Kicking the crap out of another in an organized, legal environment is very helpful.

These may or may not help, but I did my bit to try to help you out. If all else fails...drive outside of town and scream at the top of your lungs until your throat is raw.

origmarm
11-28-2007, 12:32 AM
Abenguyen I think your uprightness is great. Not getting laid or drinking/taking drugs because you are not 18 yet just made me laugh out loud. Good choices mate (well at least 2 and 3 :) ) but maybe make them because you want to, not because when you turn 18 it'll be ok to get stoned and drown you sorrows....anyhow thanks for the laugh mate, thats a great stress relief for sure.

Re the point, sometimes things can be like a pressure cooker over here. I have learnt two things that I think might help you here. The first one is don't bottle it up, the worst thing you can do is to do nothing. I tend to get very animated and swear a lot, not really something everyone can do. My point is to each his own but get it out. When I was a student I had a punchbag for example, that was great.

Secondly I have come to the realisation that you can pressure yourself but that really the thing is you can only do your best. So just get on and tackle things, get some sleep and put your best into it when you can, the results then take care of themselves. If you worry about getting it right and striving for success the whole time it just gets in the way.

I don't know if you have read the inner game of tennis or not but if you have its the same concept to a degree as a side note.

abenguyen
11-28-2007, 01:21 PM
I deal with a ridiculous amount of stress and it is job related so it accumulates and festers if I try to ignore it and push it to the back of my head. Over the years, I have come up with a few things that I find help me (not sure if you are interested or not):

- Light candles, burn aromatherapy incense and play some calming music such as Enya, Mary Fahl or even instrumental.

- Read a book. Something engrossing with interesting characters to completely take your mind off the stressful situation.

- Take a bubble bath - light some candles, sip a glass of wine and read or just close your eyes and soak for an hour.

- Get a lot of sleep.

- Drink tea.

- Meditate when you can completely shut your mind down for at least an hour. Turn the phone off.

- Clean. This always seems to help burn off anxiety. Get rid of clutter and fung shui your living space.

- Get some plants. They have a psychological effect on the mind.

- Go for long walks. Take your pet, your ipod, whatever...just get out there and walk it off.

Find a mind numbing activity to do if you have the time. If you don't have the time then make some. Crosswords, solitaire, knitting (yes, many men do knit even if they don't cough up to it). Something which forces you to momentarily take your mind off your issues and focus on something else.

- Take up kickboxing. Kicking the crap out of another in an organized, legal environment is very helpful.

These may or may not help, but I did my bit to try to help you out. If all else fails...drive outside of town and scream at the top of your lungs until your throat is raw.

many things adults would do. thanks. i'll try to find something to take my mind off cause thats what helps. majority i might not care for, but thanks anyways

Abenguyen I think your uprightness is great. Not getting laid or drinking/taking drugs because you are not 18 yet just made me laugh out loud. Good choices mate (well at least 2 and 3 ) but maybe make them because you want to, not because when you turn 18 it'll be ok to get stoned and drown you sorrows....anyhow thanks for the laugh mate, thats a great stress relief for sure.

Re the point, sometimes things can be like a pressure cooker over here. I have learnt two things that I think might help you here. The first one is don't bottle it up, the worst thing you can do is to do nothing. I tend to get very animated and swear a lot, not really something everyone can do. My point is to each his own but get it out. When I was a student I had a punchbag for example, that was great.

Secondly I have come to the realisation that you can pressure yourself but that really the thing is you can only do your best. So just get on and tackle things, get some sleep and put your best into it when you can, the results then take care of themselves. If you worry about getting it right and striving for success the whole time it just gets in the way.

I don't know if you have read the inner game of tennis or not but if you have its the same concept to a degree as a side note.

lol i'm glad you got a laugh out of it. i really don't plan to any of those things even when i do turn 18. i think its stupid. waste of life and time. i'd rather play tennis or do something on the computer than drugs or drinking really. getting laid, well theres a time for that after getting married so its all good

jmsx521
11-28-2007, 08:40 PM
music helps a little. and sleeping just makes me not want to do stuff.

... and play some calming music such as Enya, Mary Fahl or even instrumental...

In addition to the plants, pets, books (that capture you), I'd say try to draw or paint, if you haven't tried that before. You don't have to be good to do it. I am not even talking about drawing something that makes sense; for example you can draw patterns, or paint by blending colors. (If you're good at mixing color, you might even become a better colorist than Matisse and the abstract expressionists!)

But I specially wanted to elaborate on good music for such tough moments. Enya is good and melodic, however she uses lyrics, which are distractive enough for our tender brain cells that are rather asking for sound with opium effect. Liquid Mind makes incredible meditation and sleeping music. I don't even meditate, and I still love it... it's literally better than silence. You can't really feel the effect by listening to a 30 sec. sample, because the songs are 10-20 min. long and they barely even start in the first 30 sec. Out of all Liquid Mind CDs, this is my favorite:
http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Mind-III-Balance/dp/B00000I57B/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1196314165&sr=8-7
And the song Laguna Indigo (18:27) is the pinnacle of all meditation music songs! I highly recommend it.

There is another option if you don't want to spend money. You can go to the internet radio Pandora.com, enter Liquid Mind as an artist and save your search. Then the radio will play a full song from Liquid Mind and the next song it will chose will be from that genre. From that point on every time you go to Pandora, it will play songs from the same genre that Liquid Mind is, until you decide to change... but for dealing with stress -- you are better off staying away from heavy metal!

abenguyen
11-28-2007, 09:44 PM
In addition to the plants, pets, books (that capture you), I'd say try to draw or paint, if you haven't tried that before. You don't have to be good to do it. I am not even talking about drawing something that makes sense; for example you can draw patterns, or paint by blending colors. (If you're good at mixing color, you might even become a better colorist than Matisse and the abstract expressionists!)

But I specially wanted to elaborate on good music for such tough moments. Enya is good and melodic, however she uses lyrics, which are distractive enough for our tender brain cells that are rather asking for sound with opium effect. Liquid Mind makes incredible meditation and sleeping music. I don't even meditate, and I still love it... it's literally better than silence. You can't really feel the effect by listening to a 30 sec. sample, because the songs are 10-20 min. long and they barely even start in the first 30 sec. Out of all Liquid Mind CDs, this is my favorite:
http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Mind-III-Balance/dp/B00000I57B/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1196314165&sr=8-7
And the song Laguna Indigo (18:27) is the pinnacle of all meditation music songs! I highly recommend it.

There is another option if you don't want to spend money. You can go to the internet radio Pandora.com, enter Liquid Mind as an artist and save your search. Then the radio will play a full song from Liquid Mind and the next song it will chose will be from that genre. From that point on every time you go to Pandora, it will play songs from the same genre that Liquid Mind is, until you decide to change... but for dealing with stress -- you are better off staying away from heavy metal!

thanks i listened to some trans-Siberian orchestra today not every calming but still no lyrics. got me in the christmas mood. i just finished taking some notes and studying for a quiz for AP government tomorrow. so its kinda late(12:45 am) so i best be getting my sleep

tennisthehilife
11-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Talking to people, like on these posts, help right?

I would say tennis but, you already tried that.

Squeeze some tennis balls?