PDA

View Full Version : Favourite heavy Metal band?

Tempest344
11-27-2007, 05:24 AM
Whats yours??
remember REAL Metal
none of that Nu-metal stuff eg slipknot

caesar66
11-27-2007, 05:50 AM
voted for Iron Maiden, but my fav. is probably Jag Panzer. I don't really consider Dream Theater metal, perhaps progressive metal but I think they are more progressive just in general.

jmsx521
11-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Many of Metallica's older songs are like a good book that grabs you. Metallica's heavy metal noise was controlled... while, I can't say that for the rest of the heavy metal field, since it is based on making heavy duty noise instead.

11-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Pantera blows em'all away!

Props to Megadeth too

PimpMyGame
11-27-2007, 07:46 AM
I've always had a soft spot for Megadeth. An honourary mention goes to Iron Maiden.

Kevin T
11-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Sabbath IS heavy metal. Didn't they basically popularize it? Old Metallica is on-time. Can't get much better than 'Kill 'em All', 'Ride the Lightning' and 'Master of Puppets'. Not much of a fan since 'And Justice For All', though.

Vitaly Evchenkov
11-27-2007, 11:59 AM
... And Justice For All is amazing !!!!!!!

Since then, Hero of the Day was a good song, but most of it blowz.
But old metal rulez!

other good metal bands:
Metal Church
Slayer
Helstar
Fates Warning (prog now.. earlier was metal)

:twisted::):evil::shock:

tbini87
11-27-2007, 01:23 PM
would have to go with metallica because i am not a big metal fan and have had very limited contact with most others on the list.

tricky
11-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Definitely Avenged Sevenfold. Or Weezer. Yup.

I of course loved the "Big Four" of American thrash, but my favorite bands were Pantera and Sepultura, then Slayer and Metallica.

Sabbath IS heavy metal.

I respect Sabbath, and I love Tony Iommi's tone. But they (and doom metal in general) is just too slow for me. The metal I like really began with Motorhead and Iron Maiden.

drakulie
11-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Ozzy Osbourne!

BreakPoint
11-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Didn't Led Zeppelin invent "heavy metal"?

drakulie
11-27-2007, 02:44 PM
^^^ Hmm. I thought it was Black sabbath. But the term Heavy Metal was coined by Stephen Wolfe, and his song "Born to be Wild".

heavy metal thunder.

BreakPoint
11-27-2007, 02:49 PM
^^^ Hmm. I thought it was Black sabbath. But the term Heavy Metal was coined by Stephen Wolfe, and his song "Born to be Wild".

heavy metal thunder.
From what I could find, Led Zeppelin's first album was released in Jan. 1969, while Black Sabbath's first album was released in Feb. 1970.

drakulie
11-27-2007, 02:53 PM
^^^ true. I believe Sabbaths first album was a bit more hardcore than Zeps. There first album was "frowned upon" when it first came out. No station would dare touch it.

Shaolin
11-27-2007, 03:03 PM
http://www.piercingmetal.com/graphics/logo_slayer.jpg

jmsx521
11-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Pantera blows em'all away!

Props to Megadeth tooNope, I disagree... too much noise. Metallica's noise is controlled better... it's a more civilized type of noise. For Pantera, you might as well just go in the jungle, and have the lions and the wild animals ROAR at you.

Kevin T
11-27-2007, 03:36 PM
^^^ true. I believe Sabbaths first album was a bit more hardcore than Zeps. There first album was "frowned upon" when it first came out. No station would dare touch it.

Yep. I love Zep but really don't consider them heavy metal. Sabbath was the bomb back in my childhood. War Pigs and Supernaut...oh yeah! My older bros exposed me to Sabbath in kindergarten. My Mom hated it and playing metal was forbidden. Good thing my Dad thought it was funny watching us bob our heads! :)

Dedans Penthouse
11-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Sepultura Have destroyed some of my hearing while enjoying that band.

The metal I like really began with Motorhead and Iron Maiden.
Ah.....:cool: .....who doesn't like Lemmy The I'm So Bad Baby, I Don't Care" WART HOG'? A lot of Maiden is "pompous great" (esp. the vox) and I also admit to being a dunderhead who liked a lot of Priest's "British Steel" as well.

That said, we have a thread dedicated to HEAVY METAL and yet nobody's mentioned:

STRYPER??!!

:shock:---"Jesus, Mary & Ralph!!...Did these guys suck or what?!"

LuckyR
11-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Didn't Led Zeppelin invent "heavy metal"?

You can quibble all day but I would call their early stuff Hard Bluesy Rock more than Metal...

drakulie
11-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Yep. I love Zep but really don't consider them heavy metal. Sabbath was the bomb back in my childhood. War Pigs and Supernaut...oh yeah! My older bros exposed me to Sabbath in kindergarten. My Mom hated it and playing metal was forbidden. Good thing my Dad thought it was funny watching us bob our heads! :)

Haha! Great story. Very similar to mine. My brother introdcued me to Sabbath as well. I still have their first album from when I was a kid. That cover is still wicked to look at.

AmericanTemplar
11-27-2007, 04:41 PM
I voted Motorhead, although the "metal" band that has been in heaviest rotation for me lateley has been Agalloch. I highly recommend these guys to anyone who likes epic stuff--that is if you're able to get past the vocals, which sound as though they are being sung by Gollum from Lord of the Rings.

http://www.amazon.com/Mantle-Agalloch/dp/B00006FSST/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1196210420&sr=8-2

BreakPoint
11-27-2007, 04:46 PM
You can quibble all day but I would call their early stuff Hard Bluesy Rock more than Metal...
Really? Communication Breakdown, Good Times Bad Times, Whole Lotta Love, and Heartbreaker are "Blues"?

tricky
11-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Communication Breakdown, Good Times Bad Times, Whole Lotta Love, and Heartbreaker are "Blues"?

Yeah, since a lot of Zep songs were based around old blues riffs.

The argument goes that, no matter how heavy Led Zeppelin songs got, they still had groove and Bonham still swung the beat. Thus, hard rock. When you no longer swing that beat (and especially if the bass is just there to double up the riffs), then you got metal. Blue Cheer and Mountain were often as heavy as Sabbath, but they weren't considered heavy metal.

That said, we have a thread dedicated to HEAVY METAL and yet nobody's mentioned:

Forget all my Mayhem and Cradle of Filth records. When I want the blackest of all metal, I reach for the Stryper. Only the mighty Creed is heavier, dude!

For Pantera, you might as well just go in the jungle, and have the lions and the wild animals ROAR at you.

Pantera were kind of the Alice in Chains of the metal scene. They started out as a slightly cheesy, Judas Priest act. Frankly much of the underground metal scene never quite accepted Pantera due to their origins.

But, they worked out a really great idea (albeit borrowed from Exhorder), mixing thrash with Southern-fried groove metal. So, instead of playing the same old chugga-chugga breakdown you've heard a million times in thrash, you lay down a thick groove before picking the speed up again. Also, their records helped popularize producer Terry Date, who introduced a bone-dry, compressed sound, which became popular with various alternative metal acts in the 90s.

And then as that band progressed, you had two musical directions pulling on each other. The Paul brothers (like Jerry Cantrell) wanted to keep Pantera in their heavy, but groovy direction. But Phil (like Lyne Stalley) was rooted more in underground metal, and wanted to bring in death, hardcore, stoner, and other elements into their music. And in doing so, Pantera was kind of an interesting position where they were very popular but were often appealing to underground cred.

jmsx521
11-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Then, a member from Pantera was killed by a devoted fan, right?

LuckyR
11-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Really? Communication Breakdown, Good Times Bad Times, Whole Lotta Love, and Heartbreaker are "Blues"?

I didn't say every single song was a blues standard but when >20% of your album is written by Willie Dixon, yes, I'd call you a Blues Rock Band.

From a review of the first album: "Led Zeppelin is the eponymous debut album of English rock band Led Zeppelin. It was recorded in October 1968 at Olympic Studios in London and released on Atlantic Records on January 12, 1969. The album featured integral contributions from each of the group's four musicians and established Led Zeppelin's unique fusion of blues and rock."

adams_1
11-27-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't listen to a whole lot of metal, but I think that Dave Grohl's Probot album is pretty awesome.

OrangeOne
11-27-2007, 11:27 PM
I love it how we feel the need to categorise everything so tightly - I mean, every second or third post even in this thread is debating what is or isn't metal!

Anyways - Metallica gets my vote....

CanadianChic
11-27-2007, 11:35 PM
I don't care for heavy metal. It hurts my head, you can't understand the lyrics (which is a focal point for me when determining my listening choices) and is obnoxious in general. Wow, I now feel like my parents must have.

I don't know if they qualify as heavy metal or just hard rock, but I do enjoy the eighties Motley Crew, Def Leppard and Guns 'n Roses.

tricky
11-27-2007, 11:48 PM
I love it how we feel the need to categorise everything so tightly - I mean, every second or third post even in this thread is debating what is or isn't metal!

Haha, you should see discussions on the differences between the subgenres of metal. Stoner vs. doom. Death vs. grindcore. Speed vs. Thrash. Math-metal vs. prog metal. Is Motorhead really thrash, or sped-up boogie? Are Sepultura's Beneath the Remains and Slayer's Reign in Blood a death metal album or a death-thrash album? Could post-hardcore Dillinger Escape Plan be qualified as post-metal? Is metalcore really metal? When did Metallica go wrong? etc. etc.

OrangeOne
11-27-2007, 11:59 PM
I don't care for heavy metal. It hurts my head, you can't understand the lyrics (which is a focal point for me when determining my listening choices) and is obnoxious in general. Wow, I now feel like my parents must have.

CC, come on, there's a cure for myopia...

You can't understand the lyrics? Most Metallica is understandable,

Is obnoxious in general? Err, generalisations suck like vacuum cleaners:

So close, no matter how far
It couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trust in who we are
And nothing else matters

Metallica: Nothing else matters

(pre) is there no standard anymore?
What it takes, who I am, where Ive been
Belong
You cant be something you're not
Be yourself, by yourself
Stay away from me
A lesson learned in life
Known from the dawn of time

(chorus) respect, walk

Pantera: Walk

I don't know if they qualify as heavy metal or just hard rock, but I do enjoy the eighties Motley Crew, Def Leppard and Guns 'n Roses.

Another categorisation debate :)

CanadianChic
11-28-2007, 12:02 AM
And nothing else matters

They're singing our song OO! ;) Would this music not be more enjoyable though without the heavy, screaming guitars in the background that drown out the voices?

OrangeOne
11-28-2007, 12:13 AM
And nothing else matters

They're singing our song OO! ;)

LOL ;).

Would this music not be more enjoyable though without the heavy, screaming guitars in the background that drown out the voices?

Screaming guitars? There's some dominant drums, but last time I checked there weren't any "screaming" guitars over vocals in nothing else matters! As you so correctly say... they're in the background! there is a power-solo, but yeah...

Of course, you could always just find the version with the symphony instead... it's amazing.

CanadianChic
11-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Okay, I'll give you that one song. Our song. lol. Am I incorrect in the description if we change the band to, say, Megadeath?

Tempest344
11-28-2007, 12:30 AM
And nothing else matters

They're singing our song OO! ;) Would this music not be more enjoyable though without the heavy, screaming guitars in the background that drown out the voices?

if u listen to Iron Maiden you'll be able to hear the vocals for sure

their singer is right up there with Freddy Mercury......awesome singer

Deuce
11-28-2007, 12:34 AM
The amount of pure ignorance throughout this thread is nothing short of amazing.
32 posts, and still not one mention of the greatest heavy metal band ever...

Spinal Tap.

CanadianChic
11-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Tempest, do you honestly feel that Iron Maiden is better than, say, Journey or Boston? I'm curious.

CanadianChic
11-28-2007, 12:36 AM
The amount of pure ignorance throughout this thread is nothing short of amazing.

Spinal Tap.

Hmm.....ignorance or taste? Spinal Tap? Come on Deuce, I expect so much more from you.

origmarm
11-28-2007, 12:44 AM
Has to be old school Metallica, what the hell happened to them...grrrr

Tempest344
11-28-2007, 12:47 AM

Spinal Tap.

hahahahaha
yeah but fictitious (mostly)
bands don't count lol

Tempest344
11-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Tempest, do you honestly feel that Iron Maiden is better than, say, Journey or Boston? I'm curious.

dunno I haven't heard Boston
journey's Ok i guess but i don't really know American Rock bands so much
their not so well known in oz

it just depends on how you like your music whether you like the lyrics or instrumentation etc

but then again I am probably too interested in Iron Maiden so there you go

Kevin T
11-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Haha! Great story. Very similar to mine. My brother introdcued me to Sabbath as well. I still have their first album from when I was a kid. That cover is still wicked to look at.

Yeah, my Pops was the balance. Mom is VERY religious/spiritual and Dad was a cousin', drinkin', fightin' military vet. I got the best of both worlds. :) He would smuggle in the contraband (Sabbath, Kiss and ACDC tapes were the best) which we deftly hid in our rooms. When Mom went shopping or to church (the rare times we didn't have to go :) ), the metal came out, baby! We even had secret Kiss halloween constumes. Went out the door as Star Wars characters and made the switch to KISS after we left the neighborhood. My brothers loved Ace Freely and Peter Criss. I was a Gene Simmons man. Cheesy as Velveeta but we love it as kids. Dad's been dead 11 years now but he lived a great life. Here's to you Pop!

Take a look to the sky just before you die,
It is the last time you will,
Blackened roar massive roar fills the crumbling sky,
Shattered goal fills his soul with a ruthless cry,
Stranger now, are his eyes, to this mystery,
He hears the silence so loud,
Crack of dawn, all is gone except the will to be,
Now they see what will be, blinded eyes to see

'For Whom the Bell Tolls' Metallica

ht4444____
11-28-2007, 03:14 PM
i think nowadays, metallica haves more of pop than of metal....

Jon Rudy
11-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Children of Bodom or In Flames would get my vote for favorite heavy metal bands. Amon Amarth's got a great melodic death sound, too.

Ha, I wouldn't have thought I'd see Dream Theater listed with those other bands.

vkartikv
11-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Black Sabbath started it all and are still the best. Most of the music out there today is just wannabe posers making noise.

Ripper
11-28-2007, 04:09 PM
...nobody's mentioned:

STRYPER??!!

...Did these guys suck or what?!"[/size]

Well, since YOU mentioned them, I'll remind you they were a hair metal band and a pretty good one, too. The OP asked about heavy metal.

tricky
11-28-2007, 04:33 PM
i think nowadays, metallica haves more of pop than of metal....

Load/Reload plays more like blooze rock (which is fine if the Metallica rhythm section could actually swing a beat.) St. Anger plays like watered down System of a Down.

The OP asked about heavy metal.

It's just tongue in cheek. You can't talk about 80s cheese without mentioning the mighty Stryper! :D

Journey is GREAT during karaoke! :D

Ripper
11-28-2007, 04:55 PM
You can't talk about 80s cheese without mentioning the mighty Stryper! :D

I hadn't realized we were talking about the 80s... Stryper sold more records than a couple of the bands on the OP's list, btw...

Cyan
11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Metallica. Their first 4 albums are the best.

tricky
11-29-2007, 03:33 AM
I don't really consider Dream Theater metal, perhaps progressive metal but I think they are more progressive just in general.

Speaking of, here's Dream Theater covering Metallica's Damage Inc, with Barney Greenway on vocals. Who's this chap Barney Greenway you ask? Why the lead "singer" of Napalm Death of course. Enjoy! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En4yk2ckmYI

vsbabolat
11-29-2007, 09:34 AM

Led Zeppelin "Borrowed" heavily from Blues greats like Willie Dixon and Robert Johnson. A example that come to mind of Led Zeppelin "Borrowing" is the Lyrics for "Whole lotta Love". They were taken from the great Blues man Willie Dixon. Another example is on "The Lemon Song", the Lyrics were from Robert Johnson. Led Zeppelin even took a Folk song by Joan Baez "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and turned it into a heavy Blues song. Led Zeppelin was very much Blues based.

dora_75
11-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Speaking of, here's Dream Theater covering Metallica's Damage Inc, with Barney Greenway on vocals. Who's this chap Barney Greenway you ask? Why the lead "singer" of Napalm Death of course. Enjoy! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En4yk2ckmYI

Dude we like same bands :). Napalm Death, Death, Obituary ... what sweet sound hay had. However my vote goes to Slayer. Their sound is just bad ***** heavy ... I remember when Metallica came out with the black album and ****ed me off like hell.

tricky
11-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Dude we like same bands . Napalm Death, Death, Obituary ... what sweet sound hay had. However my vote goes to Slayer. Their sound is just bad ***** heavy ... I love Slayer and I have all of their post-Reign records, but to me Slayer hasn't been the same since Seasons. First, they can't seem to find a producer who can figure out how to record the drums properly. The producer for their last record is a nu-metal producer, and it kinda ruined Lombardo's return. Second, Slayer plays less of those Venom-y riffs now, opting for straightforward nu-metal crunch. It's not the same.

And let's face it -- Demericous does Slayer better than Slayer now. And, let me tell you, hearing the Slayer sound with blast beats and cookie monster vocals is divine Even Kerry King loves Demericous.

I remember when Metallica came out with the black album and ****ed me off like hell.

Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power is conceptually the record that The Black Album should have been. Among their main albums, VDOP is Pantera's tightest, most pared down record. Every song is written down into its essential, and each has definitive hooks. The production still has a lot of sheen without watering down their sound.

11-29-2007, 02:02 PM
I voted for Metallica. Some of the newer bans are pretty kickass, too.

dora_75
11-29-2007, 02:36 PM
I love Slayer and I have all of their post-Reign records, but to me Slayer hasn't been the same since Seasons.

True! War Ensamble and Skeletons of Society were my favorite tracks from Season. I'm from an ex communist country and heavy metal (thrash/speed/death/etc/etc) was very popular in the '90s. Did you see Metallica's trip in Russia or Overkill in Hungary, it was crazy.

I expect Metallica to score the highest as is the most popular band but for a hardcore fan they look like sellouts. The first albums were great but since the Black Album they gone blank :). Their new hairdos' were blasphemy :).

richw76
11-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Has to be old school Metallica, what the hell happened to them...grrrr

100 million , gazillion, octillion dollars ;-)

hahahahaha
yeah but fictitious (mostly)
bands don't count lol
How bout the Monkeys? They were cool.
dunno I haven't heard Boston
journey's Ok i guess but i don't really know American Rock bands so much
their not so well known in oz

it just depends on how you like your music whether you like the lyrics or instrumentation etc

but then again I am probably too interested in Iron Maiden so there you go

I got an Iron Maiden Poster in the 4th grade. between that and the music my parents were convinced I fell victim to a satan worshiping cult. If not for the fact that I'm black and we didn't do that 20 years ago, I would have been on a Psychologist couch :-)

But my vote is Metallica before load/reload albums. They are still in my Ipod, and my 8gig nano. High Praise.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
11-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Motley Crue!!!!!!!!!!!

tzinc
11-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Which newer bands are good?

Tempest344
11-30-2007, 03:50 AM
Which newer bands are good?

none of the newer bands are good in my opinion

they are not true metal like the metal gods of the 80s

Jon Rudy
11-30-2007, 03:10 PM
It's kind of funny that you would have Dream Theater on that poll then, since they formed in the mid 80s and almost all of their albums came out in the 1990s...are they really "true metal gods from the 80s" then?

Also, Children of Bodom is newer and they downright rock. Same thing with bands like Opeth and In Flames.

AmericanTemplar
11-30-2007, 03:39 PM
It's kind of funny that you would have Dream Theater on that poll then, since they formed in the mid 80s and almost all of their albums came out in the 1990s...are they really "true metal gods from the 80s" then?

Also, Children of Bodom is newer and they downright rock. Same thing with bands like Opeth and In Flames.

I can't really get into Children of Bodom, atleast the album I have, but Opeth are awesome.

J011yroger
11-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Ac / Dc

J

Tempest344
11-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Ac / Dc

J

AC/DC isn't Metal

its Aussie pub rock
even the band doesn't like being called "metal"

Tempest344
11-30-2007, 04:58 PM

Actually I wasn't referring to Dream Theater
anyone would know that the Metal gods would be bands like
Iron Maiden,Judas Priest, Metallica etc

I'll agree with you about Opeth though.....they have a very interesting mix of styles in their music

To be more clear this time i'll say that a lot of the newer stuff like all the Metalcore stuff in particular I feel is not as good as stuff from the 80s

tricky
11-30-2007, 05:12 PM
To be more clear this time i'll say that a lot of the newer stuff like all the Metalcore stuff in particular I feel is not as good as stuff from the 80sBut metalcore is an American phenomenon, and most of the world agrees nu-metal (and tickle me emo) pretty much ruined America's place in the metal world.

There were a number of great metal acts in the 90s (Prong, Fear Factory, Kyuss) but much of the best metal in the United States were influenced by the hardcore/No-Wave scene. All that stuff is really underground, except for your Neurosis, Isis, etc.

Opeth is really good, but nowadays I'd rather listen to Cult of Luna.

Willy H.
11-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Avenged Sevenfold rules (not exactly metal though), Disturbed is also sweet

Teh_pwnerer
11-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Whats yours??
remember REAL Metal

Slipknot has a few cool songs,, like before i forget

but if you want real metal listen to MUDVAYNE

zomfg

tricky
11-30-2007, 05:40 PM
but if you want real metal listen to MUDVAYNE

Better yet, try out Deicide! :D

Vision84
11-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Metallica were only good for me on the first 3 albums though Master of Puppets is extremely overrated.
Megadeth is a little to melodic for my tastes in thrash metal but not bad.
I voted for Maiden cause I didn't see Slayer in there for some reason. Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss, and Hell Awaits are some of the best thrash metal albums out there.

Deicide - Legion is ok but I never got into death metal much, mainly due to the vocals. The modern ultra low guttural vocals that most bands seem to use these days really turn me off. The only death metal I like is the early thrashy stuff like Possessed, Death Strike, Ripping Corpse, Merciless Death (one from Poland) etc.

I have never been a fan of metalcore due to the 'core' screams and breakdowns.

There is a strong misconception with what people think is metal. Bands like Disturbed, Mudvayne, Mushroomhead, Spineshank etc are not actually real metal. The media labels them as metal but most people don't know what real metal is as it is poorly marketed compared to the other bands.

And yes Black Sabbath is clearly metal and certainly one of the pioneers of metal.

Vision84
11-30-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't care for heavy metal. It hurts my head, you can't understand the lyrics (which is a focal point for me when determining my listening choices) and is obnoxious in general.

Another common misconception with metal. Death metal and black metal often have vocals that are incomprehensible but traditional, thrash (often), power metal genres tend to have vocals that are easily accessible.

Andres
11-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Motorhead, Dream Theater and Metallica do NOT play heavy metal. It may be argued with DT, but Motorhead & Metallica played hard-rock/trash

tricky
11-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Motorhead, Dream Theater and Metallica do NOT play heavy metal. It may be argued with DT, but Motorhead & Metallica played hard-rock/trash

Metallica definitely didn't play trash rock/metal. Marilyn Manson, White Zombie, most bands with a hankering for heavy grooves and B-movie presentation, those were trash metal acts.

If you meant "thrash", thrash certainly fits under the heavy metal tree.

Vision84
12-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Heavy Metal can be a vague term and some people use it differently. Some people just use it to describe traditional metal which includes stuff like the whole New Wave of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM) movement which began with bands like Iron Maiden and Saxon. Other people just use it to describe Metal in general so that it includes virtually everything.

Metallica played 'pure' metal up to the Black album where they started playing a fusion of metal and rock and gradually lost the metal elements over the next albums. the early stuff was thrash metal that had a heavy influence from traditional metal.

Motorhead just play regular heavy metal with a lot of speed metal thrown in (depends on which album as they have been around since the 70s).

Dream Theater play sort of a power/progressive type of metal.

Yes I know I am quite nitpicky when labeling genres but when you have heard as much as I have you can really hear the differences between the different genres. For instance Dream Theater sounds nothing like Motorhead or Metallica.

shwetty[tennis]balls
12-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Whats yours??
remember REAL Metal

No one can lay a finger on metallica, they are heavier, harder and kick more ***** than any other heavy metal band. I still say they are no match to Led Zepelin in terms of hard rock all around, but this is like comparing apples to oranges.

tzinc
12-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Metal is really hard to pin down. There are so many genres within metal that it's hard to say who is and isn't metal. There's hardcore, alt metal, nu metal, death metal, trash, even pop metal etc etc etc.

Bands like AC/DC and Zeppelin were always considered metal when I was younger. Then heavier bands came out like Metallica and Slayer and suddenly people started saying they weren't metal. I think they're a genre of Metal music and there are all kinds of genres within that label.

The Rolling Stones are Hard Rock they are not Metal for an example of a Hard Rock band - again this is my opinion.

tricky
12-02-2007, 11:21 PM
I consider AC/DC heavy metal, but I'm fine with garage-y hard rock (esp. the Bon Scott era.) Some of the Who songs LIVE were borderline metal to me. Their cover of Young Man Blues has a Sabbath-y groove, albeit in a much looser style.

I do consider nu-metal "metal" because much of its origins (i.e. Korn) really lay in the late 80-s funk-punk/metal scene in California. Acts like Tool and Rage against the Machine got airplay on KNAC before they were given radio play in alternative format. After thrash died down, the American "nu-metal" scene really moved away from the European model. The bass guitar became more of the lead instrument, and the "rhythm" guitar approximated the sound without fitting into the progressive Euro-metal composition style. I hated Korn -- partially because they ended up supplanting Pantera -- for a long time, but I guess you can't fight the wave. Now I can listen to Korn and, you know, bop the head a bit. Word up! :D

I guess I liken it to the different punk subcultures in the States. The DC hardcore scene is nothing like the Bay Area scene is nothing like Olympia and Seattle. And so on.

Wuornos
12-04-2007, 05:46 AM
Motorhead should be removed from the poll on the basis that Lemmy played Bass with Wizard. Imagine! The shame of it !!

tricky
12-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah, but Lemmy was in Hawkwind too. Hawkwind is great.

Serve em Up
12-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Sabbath has to be the first real Heavy Metal band.

Deep Purple could also be mentioned as an early band in the genre.

Metallica is far more musical than the others listed in the poll. Some are just loud noise generators IMO.

Zeppelin is not Heavy Metal. That band's roots were in blues.

Teh_pwnerer
12-04-2007, 01:48 PM
mudvayne is nu metal.. linkin park is considered as nu metal aswell, maybe coz of the vocals