PDA

View Full Version : Who wins Blackrock Masters in London

martin
11-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Who will win the Blackrock Masters in London

akv89
11-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Brugera is definitely the favorite. But Haarhius might be able to give him a run for his money depending on how the draw works out.

hoosierbr
11-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Michael Stich is in the field as well.

martin
11-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Apparenty Muster is not taking part.
Cash, Forget, Ivanisevic and Bates have gotten a wildcard.

thor's hammer
12-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Well, definitely not Borg...

http://www.theblackrockmasters.com/pressrelease.asp?theid=55

BTW, there's a link on the left side of that page to a podcast where Federer, McEnroe and Borg float questions back and forth.

Moose Malloy
12-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Just read that Rusedski has replaced Ivanisevic in the draw. He's not too far removed from playing on the tour, should be interesting to see how he handles senior players.

Will play Haarhuis & Stich in the RR.

http://www.blackrocktourofchampions.com/5/news/2007/london_rusedski.asp

CyBorg
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
I voted Borg for kicks. He still has a nasty backhand I hear.

!Tym
12-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Brugera is definitely the favorite. But Haarhius might be able to give him a run for his money depending on how the draw works out.

Lol, that DARN Harhuis...he's such a party p--per! Knock-knock, "Oh, hi, Paul!" says group of legend players with names.

The silence is deafening, from his end, for he has eaves-dropped and heard everything leading to this point.

His name was Harhuis, but now you can just call him champ...but, GASP! Nobody, not ONE person in the whole unified wide world, wants to.

It must be lonely at the top, I feel for Paul but I cannot on a matter of principle root for a "no name" player to take the grandest seniors prize of them all, three years running, that's in a row, which sucks.

PLEASE DON'T LET HARHUIS win again! That said, my vote actually goes to Harhuis to take it again. I feel like the near undefeated Bruguera will feel too much pressure on him much like with Rios last year, and the surface conditions obviosly aren't optimum for his game (though he has at times been a surprisingly good indoor player during his playing career, much better indoors in fact than on hard).

It's VERY dissapointing that Goran and Muster can't make it, without them there it's hard for me to take the tournament seriously. Just too many substitutions this year and finding ANY way possible to bring in Borg soley for what must be purely monetary reasons to the sponsors.

Does anyone know why Muster and Goran can't show? It seems very odd to me, unless there's a very good reason. I would think this is the one tournament they wouldn't want to miss. Even as compared to the main tour, there aren't many tournaments and places to play in the world with the ambiance of Royal Albert Hall. Truly, it is one of the most beautiful places to play tennis I think I have ever seen on t.v. It feels and looks more like an elegant and grand operatic stage than a tennis court.

Moose Malloy
12-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Goran & Muster are injured(so is Borg)

Haarhuis just won the Dubai event on the Outback tour a few weeks ago, beating Courier in the final, so he's definitely in good form. It was his 1st event on that tour.

I remember you mocking Leconte's prescence on the Blackrock tour, but I looked up his record on the site & he's ranked 2(behind Bruguera)
Maybe he can still play?

I'm rooting for Mac, its been so long since he won a senior event(has never won one on the Outback tour, don't know about this tour. Has been in multiple finals though)

Maybe it would be a good way to retire?

here is the field:

Rusedski, John McEnroe, Pat Cash, Michael Stich, Jeremy Bates, Guy Forget, Sergi Bruguera, Henri Leconte, Cedric Pioline, Paul Haarhuis, Anders Jarryd and Wayne Ferreira.

All of the top 8 except Muster are entered. Goran is ranked 12 on this tour(only played 3 events this year)

Jeremy Bates is the lowest ranked player in the field(not counting Rusedski)

hoosierbr
12-04-2007, 11:48 AM
With all the injuries and wildcards I'm surprised Krajicek didn't get an invite. He only played in 2004 and was injured the last two years. Maybe he's injured again?

Nothing changed from his tour days!

Moose Malloy
12-06-2007, 09:13 AM
RESULTS Ė WEDNESDAY, 5th DECEMBER, 2007

Sergi Bruguera d Anders Jarryd 6-2, 6-4
Cedric Pioline d. John McEnroe 7-6, 6-7, 10-4 (championís tie-break)
Michael Stich d. Greg Rusedski 6-2, 6-7, 11-9 (championís tie break)
Jeremy Bates d. Wayne Ferreira 6-4, 6-2

Rusedski still has an ATP ranking, interesting result. So is Bates beating Ferreira.

PimpMyGame
12-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Just read that Rusedski has replaced Ivanisevic in the draw. He's not too far removed from playing on the tour, should be interesting to see how he handles senior players.

Ha ha he couldn't win on the tour so I'm not holding out any hope that he'll do very well.

martin
12-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I think it's gonna be a hattrick for Haarhuis. He should play some doubles with Mcenroe. I think they could win atp tournaments.