PDA

View Full Version : anyone from London, UK?

esm
11-28-2007, 12:32 AM
going to London next week and would like to know what the tennis scene is like over there? i will be living in north London.

whats the average re-string cost over there?

michael-uk
11-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Hello and I hope all goes well for your move to London.

I don't live in London, but I expect that the tennis scene is like much else in the big city: expensive, usually.
But like anywhere, just go find and visit tennis clubs in the area where you are living, and choose one which suits. Clubs vary a lot in the UK - some are basic and friendly, other have gyms, cafe, bar, and all the cars are B*** and Audi's etc.

It would be interesting to hear your reflections and thoughts on this - comparison between the scene in Australia/UK.

michael-uk
11-28-2007, 04:32 AM
why did it the system asterix out "Bee Em doubleU" in my post?
Is it a banned term? (well, no that I think about it...)
I'll try it again now: 3, 2, 1 -
BMW

michael-uk
11-28-2007, 04:36 AM
oh, and a "basic" restring in the south of England costs between 15-25, but wil obviously be more for gut/hybrid stringing.
For an idea - google UK Colin the Stringer.

uk_skippy
11-28-2007, 04:44 AM
Also try this site
http://www.theracquetstringer.co.uk

I've heard that he's a good stringer too

Docalex007
11-28-2007, 05:31 AM
I'm just 30 minutes from London here in Reading. The tennis scene around here is much different from the states. Basically tennis is a lot more of an exclusive sport here, apart from university tennis. There aren't many just walk-on courts over here. You always have to pay for something in this country, one way or another.

PimpMyGame
11-28-2007, 05:35 AM
why did it the system asterix out "Bee Em doubleU" in my post?
Is it a banned term? (well, no that I think about it...)
I'll try it again now: 3, 2, 1 -
BMW

It may be because you posted the plural of BMW, bee-emm-dubya-ess (the last three letters of which are the initials of a TT competitor.)

BTW, you don't have to live in London to drive a beemer - I live in lowly Norwich and drive one too!

origmarm
11-28-2007, 06:26 AM
I live in London. To describe the tennis scene here:

- Summer mostly (or expensive! very few indoor venues in London) unless you like the wet. The Audi/Beemer comment is appropriate for the clubs that have indoor facilties. You come accross a lot of smaller clubs, most are outdoor, some have floodlights.
- More exclusive a sport, there are no such thing as school/college teams really, except at private schools. In summer a lot better for the amateurs as you can generally get a court and they have council courts in many parks
- Stringing is anywhere from 10 (with own string) to about 35 (normal) to 45 (gut hybrids). There are 3 good stringers I have found in London, one at David Lloyd in Raynes Park, Wigmore and lastly Millet Sports (N London). There are probably more but...I have heard good things about that site also that uk_skippy posted. I think NickB strings also so shoot him a mail.
- Wimbledon brings out all the people in cut off jeans with K-Mart equivalent racquets to the courts. It gets very busy around then.

Some tips:
- If you want to play in Winter you are basically looking at a big gym/centre. There are not many, subs run 90-150 a month. Courts are about 6 an hour.
The alternative in London is the Westway, its pay as you go but its busy and under a motorway sliproad. Far from North London also
- There are quite a lot of outdoor public courts in summer etc..that you can use. They are typically on commons/in parks.
- A good site to find people/courts is http://www.londontennis.co.uk/ . Its free to sign up and they have leagues also (at a cost).
- For gear, use the internet or go to Millet Sports in North London or for clothing etc..Decathlon in Canada Water.

Good luck with the move!

PimpMyGame
11-28-2007, 07:04 AM
Although not living in London I can offer some insight. Docalex007 is about right, although I not a hint of frustration that "you always have to pay for something in this country, one way or another".

I suggest that if you come from a country where you have to pay for your health service, you can use ours and spend the money you save on membership to a decent tennis club. There's a few around.

esm
11-29-2007, 12:30 AM
thanks guys.
we know of an indoor place not too far from our apartment. will investigate it myself when i get there.
def. will try to get to wimbledon next year.
maybe i should stock up on the strings from sydney and pay for the labour in quids......

origmarm
11-29-2007, 12:57 AM
thanks guys.
we know of an indoor place not too far from our apartment. will investigate it myself when i get there.
def. will try to get to wimbledon next year.
maybe i should stock up on the strings from sydney and pay for the labour in quids......

I would, they work out cheaper for sure if its anything like US prices.

Good luck with the venue, hope it works out. If you need a hand with anything let me know and I'll try and help out

Ross K
11-29-2007, 01:47 AM
going to London next week and would like to know what the tennis scene is like over there? i will be living in north London.

whats the average re-string cost over there?

Here you go, esm...

If you're in N. London maybe check out The Islington Tennis Centre (indoor and outdoor courts, generally pretty good facillities... Jonathon Ross the tv presenter plays there regularly... oo-er!) There's Hampstead Heath (outdoors, decent courts, unique atmosphere and friendly scene set in 'leafy' Hampstead surroundings.) Or there's Waterlow Park (outdoors, basic facillities and managed appallingly, but again very pleasant surroundings.)

As regards restringing costs, like virtually everything tennis connected in the UK, expect to pay too bloody much!... athough, actually, some park courts are free during the day in winter-time (weekdays)...

Hope this helps.

Ross

And BTW, although generally London just doesn't compare to the likes of America or Australia for tennis, IMO it does have other compensations...

BTW2, if you're an Aussie, no doubt you'll be joining your shy and retiring countrymen at the Forum Club in Kentish Town for the Sunday marathon booze up and dress up in ludicrous clothes sessions!... My god! And I thought it was the English who were bad for drinking!?... ANYWAY, HAVE FUN IN LONDON!

Ross

esm
11-29-2007, 01:50 AM
I would, they work out cheaper for sure if its anything like US prices.

the sydney prices are "nothing" like the US price, but it's def. better than the UK price.
for an example... i use Bab Attraction Power, it's AUD$22 vs. 20 pounds (a set).... :shock:

Good luck with the venue, hope it works out. If you need a hand with anything let me know and I'll try and help out
thanks mate. thanks for the offer.

esm
11-29-2007, 01:53 AM
Here you go, esm...

If you're in N. London maybe check out The Islington Tennis Centre (indoor and outdoor courts, generally pretty good facillities... Jonathon Ross the tv presenter plays there regularly... oo-er!) There's Hampstead Heath (outdoors, decent courts, unique atmosphere and friendly scene set in 'leafy' Hampstead surroundings.) Or there's Waterlow Park (outdoors, basic facillities and managed appallingly, but again very pleasant surroundings.)

As regards restringing costs, like virtually everything tennis connected in the UK, expect to pay too bloody much!... athough, actually, some park courts are free during the day in winter-time (weekdays)...

Hope this helps.

Ross

And BTW, although generally London just doesn't compare to the likes of America or Australia for tennis, IMO it does have other compensations...

BTW2, if you're an Aussie, no doubt you'll be joining your shy and retiring countrymen at the Forum Club in Kentish Town for the Sunday marathon booze up and dress up in ludicrous clothes sessions!... My god! And I thought it was the English who were bad for drinking!?... ANYWAY, HAVE FUN IN LONDON!

Ross

Thanks Ross... i have no idea where these places are atm... we will be staying in N8.... :)

origmarm
11-29-2007, 03:38 AM
the sydney prices are "nothing" like the US price, but it's def. better than the UK price.
for an example... i use Bab Attraction Power, it's AUD$22 vs. 20 pounds (a set).... :shock:

Yeah you're getting the idea :)...
Gotta love the internet

shrakkie
11-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Tennis is Brighton is nice. I pay 77 a month for 4 indoor carpet courts, 4 indoor hardcourt courts, 2 outdoor courts, badminton and squash courts. Also we have a gym, bar, cafe/restuarant. In the coming year we are getting Grass and clay courts which is going to be great, but ya, it's FULL of rich pretentious people.

danielpreston
11-30-2007, 08:11 AM
Tennis is Brighton is nice. I pay 77 a month for 4 indoor carpet courts, 4 indoor hardcourt courts, 2 outdoor courts, badminton and squash courts. Also we have a gym, bar, cafe/restuarant. In the coming year we are getting Grass and clay courts which is going to be great, but ya, it's FULL of rich pretentious people.

Hi Shrakkie. I go to the same place. I pay 0 pcm and still penniless. I re-string rcakets at a fraction of the costs I've seen mentioned here.

shrakkie
11-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi Shrakkie. I go to the same place. I pay 0 pcm and still penniless. I re-string rcakets at a fraction of the costs I've seen mentioned here.

Nice man, as it happens I do need my racquet re-strung. Though I know nothing about the strings/tension I need. lol.

origmarm
12-03-2007, 12:12 AM
I re-string rcakets at a fraction of the costs I've seen mentioned here.

Why do you guys never live in London :)

How's it going on getting that scholarship mate?

danielpreston
12-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Why do you guys never live in London :)

How's it going on getting that scholarship mate?

It's actually going quite well. A lot of urgent interest fror January, but I can't go in Jan. Another college calling this week.

None yet that ticks all the boxes .... but some good ones none the less.

origmarm
12-04-2007, 03:34 AM
It's actually going quite well. A lot of urgent interest fror January, but I can't go in Jan. Another college calling this week.

None yet that ticks all the boxes .... but some good ones none the less.

Good stuff, glad to hear that they are willing to take a look as from what I've heard a lot of them are trying to stick to Americans. When are you looking to go over?