PDA

View Full Version : Bank-check issue

TonLars
11-28-2007, 06:34 AM
Edit: to make sure everyone understands where Im coming from from now on...

Alright, well my friend was talking to me and asked me these questions and so I wanted to get other's take on this. It is a serious issue that may or may not be something to worry about, depending on whether or not he is actually serious or talking in "what ifs":

He wants some cash, and so apparently he had the idea of taking a check out of his mother's money market account check book. He said he could fill it out and might even sign the bottom himself with her name. He also seemed hesitant about going to the bank if he were to follow through on it, wondering if he would have any problems. I obviously told him not to do it for moral reasons and because it is against the law, but we got to talking and I had no actual answers for him on these things he brought up:

If he just signs the check without trying to forge her signature, is there a way for the bank to catch him on this?
Are there other ways the bank can catch this? Such as maximum amount of withdrawals.
Would he actually likely get away free on it all as long as his mother didnt notice the difference on the account in the next statement?

I dont know much about banking and so I had no answers for him. If I have some answers I would be able to tell him next time I see him and scare some fear into him to not do it. These answers hopefully would deter him from taking this action if he is indeed really considering it. Or I could just tell him to go enjoy the payday:p j/k... (HUMOR PEOPLE) My belief is that he was just talking hear-say but it is important I think for him to have these answers because I believe he would reject the idea completely if he thinks it is too risky for him.

Shahar26
11-28-2007, 07:06 AM
This is wrong on so many levels.....

I would say to him to just not do it!!

It's one thing "stealing" a $5 bill to go to the movies or arcade (old school), but forging a check is breaking the law, and worse, it's breaking a trust with your parents, one that may be very hard to get back.

If you put laws and morals aside (which you shouldn't), banks rarely verify the signature on checks, it's much more likely the mom would notice something rather than the bank.

Phil
11-28-2007, 07:14 AM
TonLars; although your signature implies that you go or went to college, your post doesn't sound like anything that even an elementary school kid would post. You cannot be that dumb. You don't need to know much about banking to know that forging someone's signature on a check is a crime. But since I'm in a happy mood tonight, I'll give you my advice on this: Ask your friend to figure it out by himself, and then forge a check with YOUR mother's signature on it to give it to the bail bondsman to get your friend out of jail.

Sheesh...kids today. Amazing.

TonLars
11-28-2007, 07:34 AM
TonLars; although your signature implies that you go or went to college, your post doesn't sound like anything that even an elementary school kid would post. You cannot be that dumb. You don't need to know much about banking to know that forging someone's signature on a check is a crime. But since I'm in a happy mood tonight, I'll give you my advice on this: Ask your friend to figure it out by himself, and then forge a check with YOUR mother's signature on it to give it to the bail bondsman to get your friend out of jail.

Sheesh...kids today. Amazing.

Phil, I obviously know it is a crime. The question that I wrote was in regards to him getting caught, and seeking the knowledge about how the bank works to deter him from attempting this. Your verbal abuse is both unnecessary and "dumb" as you like to say. Next time read the post carefully so you understand the context of the issue.

Phil
11-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Phil, I obviously know it is a crime. The question that I wrote was in regards to him getting caught, and seeking the knowledge about how the bank works to deter him from attempting this. Your verbal abuse is both unnecessary and "dumb" as you like to say. Next time read the post carefully so you understand the context of the issue.
Whether or not the bank will catch him should not be an issue here. This is a calculation made by criminals. You should not even be asking that question. But I can't expect you to be thinking along those lines...

TheShaun
11-28-2007, 07:41 AM

you friend will get caught, unless his mom is equally as dumb as her son. she'll notice a withdawal not made by her. she goes to the bank to check in to it. they pull the cheque (which they scan in to their computer system) and she sees that it's not even her signature. blah blah blah, you and your friend should go hit each other with tennis racquets...

TonLars
11-28-2007, 07:46 AM
you and your friend should go hit each other with tennis racquets...

Wow, I didnt realize that my interest in the subject of checks and banking and trying to get that knowledge to save my friend from making a serious mistake would be grounds for people insulting me. Thanks Phil and Shaun

Phil
11-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Wow, I didnt realize that my interest in the subject of checks and banking and trying to get that knowledge to save my friend from making a serious mistake would be grounds for people insulting me. Thanks Phil and Shaun
I'm not insulting you, tonlok...I'm dishing out some tough love, baby. You've missed the point entirely. You do not NEED any knowledge of banking or check writing to counsel your friend. You should not need to consult an Internet message board full of strangers in order to find moral courage or whatever it is you need to talk to your friend. Now go tell him what he needs to know. Yeah, we were a bit hard on you, but we all need a kick in the rear once in a while, ya big lug.

chroix
11-28-2007, 08:33 AM
If you do this the bank may be the ones to press charges and it may be out of your "friends" moms hands. I put friends in quotation marks because it is probably you, you've probably already done it and are now wondering what will happen to you. Couple years of minimum security prison if you've ever been in trouble before or else probation. Stealing from your mom is about as low as it gets.

Shahar26
11-28-2007, 08:57 AM
I dont know much about banking and so I had no answers. If I have some answers I can either tell him and scare some fear into him to not do it. Or I could just tell him to go enjoy the payday:p

I think the Bold line is where your problem is, you're basically saying that if you were to find out that the bank doesn't check the signature, then you would give your friend the "all clear".

I'm sure that once more people get home from work (which may even be in a bank), and check the board, you'll get more replies telling you off.

PimpMyGame
11-28-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm shocked anyone had the stupidity to start a thread of this nature.

TonLars, if you don't know the answer now then unfortunately you never will.

angharad
11-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Banks do however have an obligation to pursue a remedy against all parties who were in a position to know or should have known of any wrong doing (forged endorsement/signature or counterfeit, etc.).

Source: http://thenortongroup.net/nnotes1.html

It certainly sounds like a bank could press charges against your friend and also perhaps you.

Shahar26
11-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Source:
Banks do however have an obligation to pursue a remedy against all parties who were in a position to know or should have known of any wrong doing (forged endorsement/signature or counterfeit, etc.).

http://thenortongroup.net/nnotes1.html

It certainly sounds like a bank could press charges against your friend and also perhaps you.

Ohhhhh Sh*t, now we're all screwed!!!!!

TonLars
11-28-2007, 09:26 AM
I am shocked at how absolutely rude and incompetent a few of you are. At least Phil had the graciousness to take a step back and admit he was giving me a hard time and clarify his point. We got people on here telling me now that it is in fact ME that has "already" forged a check of MY moms, and then we have the cat guy who initially was helpful now failing to see the sarcasm I made in my last statement and thinks Im serious about giving my consent for him to do this. PimpMyGame must not have read it at all or just doesnt get it at all.

Those of you being this rediculous should try to get a clue. He was asking me these questions, and I simply had no ANSWER about the banking issues. That is all that should be relevant to you anyways! It should be fairly obvious also from my post that I am against him doing this for both breaking the law and the morality of stealing and breaking trust. Can you really be the ones that STUPID enough to not understand the contexts of the post?

But then again I realize people on message boards frequently must just like to insult people elctronically because they dont have to face the consequences of dealing with the other person face to face, or knowing them personally. You have nothing better to do than act like a jerk? I dont have thick skin for this sort of thing, I know, but I expected respect and intelligent answers to inform and help me on how the bank WORKS, and maybe that was too much to expect from some of you. By having that information on how the bank works, I can BETTER persuade him against this rash action. I have already told him that it is "dumb, stupid, low,against the law, blah, blah". Im trying to get him to understand that it wont be easy for him to get away with such a thing if there are things in place to stop him. Usually its an effective way to teach a person when you tell them the WHY instead of only WHAT, that way it will make sense to them.

PimpMyGame
11-28-2007, 09:30 AM
TonLars, I get it alright. You are asking a message board for their opinions on a situation which may end up with you aiding and abetting your "friend".

This is fraud and a little heavy for most. In fact I'm now wondering whether the mods should zap this thread for your own safety.

Edit: I've seen enough frauds to let you know immediately that you should never have discussed the moral issues with anyone without blowing the whistle. You know what has to happen, it's just the rollout which is important if you are personally involved with the fraudster.

TonLars
11-28-2007, 09:36 AM
I am not an accomplice in any way! That would just be outrageous... just because I heard him talk about this, and for all I know he may not really be serious as many people are when they have a conversation and exaggerate and brainstorm. I only wanted information about it so I could inform him in turn. Also, I was not interested in anyones imaginative opinions that have been displayed so freely.

PimpMyGame
11-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Sorry but I don't think your post has anything to do with wanting to know about bank procedure. Looks to me like you are more interested in how easy it is to get away with, and what the potential repercussions are. That's why I responded in the way I have. You have to understand you may get some answers you didn't want to hear.

And for the record, if your friend does go ahead with it and you know about it, you will be withholding information on a crime - which I'm sure is a criminal offence in the US.

TonLars
11-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Looks to me like you are more interested in how easy it is to get away with, and what the potential repercussions are.
And for the record, if your friend does go ahead with it and you know about it, you will be withholding information on a crime - which I'm sure is a criminal offence in the US.

Indeed. If it is infact NOT easy for him to get away with it like he might possibly think it is, then this will be very useful in keeping him out of trouble.

Also, have you never had a conversation where people say things in exaggeration, outof control, or joking? For example, when a boy tells his sister he is going to kill her, and if the mother over hears this, and then the next day it happens, is the mother witholding information on a crime? This topic came out of the blue with my friend the other day and I have no idea if he is just trying to sound rebellious, funny, or if he is serious. Regardless, I just WANTED TO KNOW how that all works since I had no answers for those things. I said "Huh, I really dont know I guess, but I sure wouldnt try that". If i had the knowledge on the subject, I could have said something informative. It is rediculous for anyone to take this matter and spin it in such a way that I am an accomplice to a crime or that it is actually me going to commit a crime. It is extremely rude. Yay for message boards!

PimpMyGame
11-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Your friend has already taken the cheque and filled it out. Taking your example into context, maybe this is a bit like the boy who tells his sister he's going to kill her, then tells you he's bought the knife to do the job. What's your reaction then? Ask the board how to commit the perfect murder?

Why did you edit your OP, rather than explain in a different post? I think it's now taken everything out of context.

shwetty[tennis]balls
11-28-2007, 10:18 AM
It's a stupid idea. First of all, banks keep track of who is on the account. They are not allowed to pull money from an account if whomever is trying to pull the money isn't a joint on the account. Also, banks that are cashing checks drafted form their institution will thoroughly check signatures from files they've scanned.
Your friend (or you if it really is you who's trying to scam mommy) is a real idiot. Stealing money from mommy is something you do when you're 5 years old!

Douggo
11-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Tony, if you really want to know how the bank will find out about this, why not call the bank instead of asking your pals on the tennis forum?

TonLars
11-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Ask the board how to commit the perfect murder?
No, that is not a good analogy to what Im doing.

balls;1907759']It's a stupid idea. First of all, banks keep track of who is on the account. They are not allowed to pull money from an account if whomever is trying to pull the money isn't a joint on the account. Also, banks that are cashing checks drafted form their institution will thoroughly check signatures from files they've scanned.
Now that is more what I was looking for, and would have liked to have known when I was talking to him. Thanks

TonLars
11-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Tony, if you really want to know how the bank will find out about this, why not call the bank instead of asking your pals on the tennis forum?

Is that a serious question? As much as people have reacted overboard and irrationaly on here, why would I want to cause a stir for no reason with an actual bank? I have nothing to do with what this guy decides to do, and I am simply asking people on here some questions about banking. I dont need people criticizing me for that.

Mike Cottrill
11-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Is that a serious question? As much as people have reacted overboard and irrationaly on here, why would I want to cause a stir for no reason with an actual bank? I have nothing to do with what this guy decides to do, and I am simply asking people on here some questions about banking. I dont need people criticizing me for that.

Is he into tennis? Here is a prime example to share with him what happens when bad choices are made. Humm, wonder if he started by ripping off his mom.

“Every bad decision was followed by a poorer decision. He didn't make retribution. He only made excuses.”
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20060119/ai_n16026046 (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20060119/ai_n16026046)

Leelord337
11-28-2007, 02:15 PM
I just had a huge issue at the bank today, I put my head liquidmetal prestige on craigs list and i received an email from this guy that said he was going to send me $270 for it via money order so i gave him my address thinking that scammers wouldn't look up tennis rackets to scam people on. So i got the money orders via Fedex overnight, not a $270 money order but 2 $850 money orders totalling $1700. So i deposited them in my account, turns out they were fake money orders and my bank has charged me about $70 in fees. I was outraged.

shwetty[tennis]balls
11-28-2007, 02:22 PM
That sucks!!!

BreakPoint
11-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Most banks these days provide a photocopy of all the checks that you wrote and were cashed against your account that month along with your monthly statement. I know mine do. So as long as your friend's mom looks at her monthly statements, she will notice it.

In addition, if your friend's mom records each check she writes into the register that's in the front of every check book, she will notice that a check is missing the next time she writes a check since the sequential check numbers on the upper right hand corner of the check will skip one number. I know I would notice.

chess9
11-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Tony, this was not your finest post. Frankly, I can't believe you honestly think we should advise you or or friend how to defraud a bank and/or your friend's mother. You apparently think this post is not about such fraud, but it is completely about such fraud. Phil went easy on you. :)

Good luck with your considerable tennis skills.

-Robert

raiden031
11-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Here's a straight answer. Its very possible for him to get away with the money by forging her signature. However, his mom will likely notice the transaction if she is a responsible person and views her statements and she will contact the bank. They will possibly launch an investigation and view surveillance cameras and whatever. If he doesn't admit it up front then chances are he will get caught that way. The chance that he gets away with it cleanly is slim. With that being said, is it worth it for him to risk his relationship with his mom/family for a short term gain?

TonLars
11-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Tony, this was not your finest post. Frankly, I can't believe you honestly think we should advise you or or friend how to defraud a bank and/or your friend's mother. You apparently think this post is not about such fraud, but it is completely about such fraud. Phil went easy on you. :)

Good luck with your considerable tennis skills.

-Robert

Absolutely not. Its too bad you dont get it, I would have thought you would be one to not take it the wrong way

Most of you are taking this WAY out of context. Im repeating myself, but it just baffles me how some of you have the nerve to think Im doing something wrong. I simply was present when this guy made some comments like he did and I had no ANSWERS for the ramblings and possibilties he brought up. Frankly I dont even think he was SERIOUS but that is totally beside the point of MY post. I posted almost solely for the reason of acquiring that knowledge since I didnt know. Understand? If I happen to come across him again soon I would THEN have further answers to provide him as REASONS for not doing what I already, obviously, told him he shouldnt do and I wouldnt if I was him. It really isnt all that hard to understand. But criticism is perhaps a forte' on a message board community. It REALLY is rubbing me the wrong way also, if you couldnt tell.

richw76
11-28-2007, 04:59 PM
It's a money market account so there is probably almost no activity on it. So when/if the mom looks at the statements her initial reaction will be WTF someone stole from me, and she will notify the bank of the fraud.

Remind your friend ANY bank crime is a federal offense. Also, all major banks have very good security associates, that are usually retired FBI. That being said,

He would probably get away with it, as long as he isn't greedy. I worked for bank of america, at the time it was nations bank. Basically the tellers and managers have different "guidelines" that they follow at different dollar amounts. I won't tell you those amounts. But he can probably get the cash.

It would be stupid of him to think no one would ever notice. IF I was the parent I would not help the bank prosecute but I would completely cut my kid off financially and make him work his way through school w/o ANY help.

fed_the_savior
11-28-2007, 05:00 PM
If you don't want to be misunderstood, next time write something like:

My friend has this idiotic and immoral idea to steal from his Mom. Can you all help me convince him this is a ******** and dangerous thing to do?

Instead of sounding like, hmm, just how could you get away with this and enjoy Payday?

TonLars
11-28-2007, 05:16 PM
If you don't want to be misunderstood, next time write something like:

My friend has this idiotic and immoral idea to steal from his Mom. Can you all help me convince him this is a ******** and dangerous thing to do?

Instead of sounding like, hmm, just how could you get away with this and enjoy Payday?

Maybe. I didnt think I needed to convey that I think it is immoral however; I thought that was obvious common knowledge. I just stated my questions objectively here without adding those adjectives. Im not one to become critical of others, unlike some people. I did NOT in any way ask "How can he get away with this?". I only wanted the knowledge to answer the questions he posed. Besides, I really think he was just shooting out a bizarre idea while thinking about his own recent cash shortage. I think most normal people make statements like these at times as an exaggerative way of showing how they feel. Thats why I didnt frame my post in a way as if I was reporting or trying to stop a crime. I was more so interested in how the bank worked in those ways. I suppose because I wondered that, it now makes me a criminal as well and Im probably trying to figure out "how to get away" with stealing. Is that REALLY how some of you are reacting to my curiosity?

richw76
11-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Maybe. I didnt think I needed to convey that I think it is immoral however; I thought that was obvious common knowledge. I just stated my questions objectively here without adding those adjectives. Im not one to become critical of others, unlike some people. I did NOT in any way ask "How can he get away with this?". I only wanted the knowledge to answer the questions he posed. Besides, I really think he was just shooting out a bizarre idea while thinking about his own recent cash shortage. I think most normal people make statements like these at times as an exaggerative way of showing how they feel. Thats why I didnt frame my post in a way as if I was reporting or trying to stop a crime. I was more so interested in how the bank worked in those ways. I suppose because I wondered that, it now makes me a criminal as well and Im probably trying to figure out "how to get away" with stealing. Is that REALLY how some of you are reacting to my curiosity?

I don't think you're a criminal, although you could be. I'm in network security. As a critical thinking drill. I learned how to pick locks, and use bump keys. I also know how to commit plenty of crimes and probably not get caught.

The problem is the forum. We really don't know each other so it's not surprising that people assume the worst.

One thing though. If your friends parents have enough money that he can steal from them, why does he have to? Does he have some other issue, like doing poorly in school, that's causing the parents to tighten the reins? I don't know but I think the "friend" was trying to feel you out. And his next scenario will have you walking into the bank with his moms check, and splitting the proceeds. I could be wrong, but probably not.

raiden031
11-28-2007, 08:37 PM
I just had a huge issue at the bank today, I put my head liquidmetal prestige on craigs list and i received an email from this guy that said he was going to send me $270 for it via money order so i gave him my address thinking that scammers wouldn't look up tennis rackets to scam people on. So i got the money orders via Fedex overnight, not a $270 money order but 2 $850 money orders totalling $1700. So i deposited them in my account, turns out they were fake money orders and my bank has charged me about $70 in fees. I was outraged.

Why would you even deposit those? I would see that as extremely suspicious. Also, did you overdraft on your account as a result of trying to spend that money you just deposited, or did the deposit itself without touching the money generate the fees?

TonLars
11-28-2007, 08:44 PM
One thing though. If your friends parents have enough money that he can steal from them, why does he have to? Does he have some other issue, like doing poorly in school, that's causing the parents to tighten the reins? I don't know but I think the "friend" was trying to feel you out. And his next scenario will have you walking into the bank with his moms check, and splitting the proceeds. I could be wrong, but probably not.

Hmmm I dont know I guess, it is possible but I dont know him well enough to say thats a reason. Again I dont even think he is serious but for all I know he could be.
I do know that I would never agree to help him. Im pretty sure he would figure this as well. I have no reason to risk myself to split whatever check he'd write. I dont think he would be planning to cash in on thousands of dollars or anything anyway, but who knows.

SoBad
11-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey TonLars, here's my uninformed industry outsider opinion:

If he just signs the check without trying to forge her signature, is there a way for the bank to catch him on this?

Yes, depending on check amount and bank policies/procedures, a check could be deemed invalid if signature on the check does not match signature of the account holder that the bank has on file.

Are there other ways the bank can catch this? Such as maximum amount of withdrawals.

Yes, any cash transactions can trigger scrutiny, when amounts exceed thresholds. Especially now that there some funny laws out there, the anti-terrorism money-laundering something, or whatever, requiring not only banks but any business to develop policies with fairly low thresholds (like a couple of thousand dollars).

Would he actually likely get away free on it all as long as his mother didnt notice the difference on the account in the next statement?

Yes, he’d likely get away with it, if he doesn’t do anything stupid along the way. Also, even if he makes a mess out of it, I don’t think he’d get prosecuted unless his mother pressed charges, because there is no crime if there is no victim.

However, I think it is unlikely that mother wouldn’t notice. I think it would be best for him to be upfront about it with her, and just tell her that he needs to borrow some money from her. That’s the right honest manly way for him to go about taking some money from his mother.

By the way, I just love how you got all the forum loonies to come out with their issues here in your thread, hilarious…:) Almost as funny as the comments you got in your 5.5 vid thread “you’re a 3.0 with lousy backhand”. Keep it up! With your talent you could get something really special going in the racquets subforum if you start a good thread about mid-size frame users…:);)

Serve em Up
11-29-2007, 04:46 AM
Tonlars,

I think you are mistaken for thinking the responses that you have been received have been harsh or rude.

The fact that you were trying to convince your friend not to do this because of the mechanics of bank fraud and whether or not he might get caught indicates that you have missed the point.

The simple fact is that he is stealing from his Mother. That is wrong, end of story. As a matter of fact, you may feel free to leave Mom out of it. He is stealing, that is wrong, PERIOD. That should have been your correct response to him without hesitation.

Best of Luck to you.

TonLars
11-29-2007, 05:40 AM
Tonlars,

I think you are mistaken for thinking the responses that you have been received have been harsh or rude.

The fact that you were trying to convince your friend not to do this because of the mechanics of bank fraud and whether or not he might get caught indicates that you have missed the point.

The simple fact is that he is stealing from his Mother. That is wrong, end of story. As a matter of fact, you may feel free to leave Mom out of it. He is stealing, that is wrong, PERIOD. That should have been your correct response to him without hesitation.

Best of Luck to you.

What do I have to say to communicate to some of you that I know stealing is wrong? What have I said that portrayed to you that I think it is ok for him to do? Did I not say my response to him, or do people just not read that part? I definitely told him all these things, but I did not have the objective answers to his questions. THAT is all there is to this. End of story, PERIOD.

Thank you to those of you who read my post clearly, and did not decide to become critical jumping to conclusions. I appreciate your responses. Youre right SoBad, it is almost funny how people respond negatively to anything without thinking.

chess9
11-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Absolutely not. Its too bad you dont get it, I would have thought you would be one to not take it the wrong way

Most of you are taking this WAY out of context. Im repeating myself, but it just baffles me how some of you have the nerve to think Im doing something wrong. I simply was present when this guy made some comments like he did and I had no ANSWERS for the ramblings and possibilties he brought up. Frankly I dont even think he was SERIOUS but that is totally beside the point of MY post. I posted almost solely for the reason of acquiring that knowledge since I didnt know. Understand? If I happen to come across him again soon I would THEN have further answers to provide him as REASONS for not doing what I already, obviously, told him he shouldnt do and I wouldnt if I was him. It really isnt all that hard to understand. But criticism is perhaps a forte' on a message board community. It REALLY is rubbing me the wrong way also, if you couldnt tell.

I'll take your work for it that you intended no harm or fraud. I think the way the issue was framed in your initial post was, er, inartful.

-Robert

movdqa
12-02-2007, 02:05 PM
It's not too hard to go on Google and find stories of kids forging checks, parents forging checks and all kinds of relatives forging checks. And it seems pretty clear that there are people that get away with it. At least for a while.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2002924874_healthteendrugtests12.html

In general, though, getting the criminal justice system involved in family life isn't a very wise thing to do. When it's your parents, it's just a family matter. When the criminal justice system gets involved, they are the adversary of the person alledged of the crime and they'll go after the person, even if the parents don't necessarily want him prosecuted.

I added our son to our checking account a while ago so he has a debit card and checkwriting privileges on our checking account. He's at college and I want him to have access to cash if he needs it. I think that some kinds of bank accounts can be setup so that you get an email on any activity. I don't have that at my bank but I look up the balance every few days. If your friend is at college and has money issues, perhaps he could talk with his parents about those issues.

Parents do care quite a bit about their kids and want to see them succeed.

Geezer Guy
12-04-2007, 10:51 AM
TonLars, Around here anyway, you can't just take a check to a bank and cash it. You can only cash a check at a bank where you have an account, and the amount of the cash back cannot exceed the amount of cash in your account. Banks do that to protect themselves from criminal activity such as you described, as well as from accidental overdrafts.

Now, your friend MIGHT be able to steal his mom's check, write it out to himself, and deposit it in his own account. He'd still almost certainly get caught either by the bank or by his mom. If his mom catches him he might get off with a swift kick in the butt. If the bank catches him he might get charged with Identity Theft or fradulant check cashing or something else. If the bank catches him they may be able to press charges despite whatever his mom wants.

In my opinion, you should ENCOURAGE your friend to do it. He needs to be caught and he needs to be taught a lesson. The sooner he learns, the better.

Shahar26
01-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Thought this was worth a bump ;)

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=77312