PDA

View Full Version : Traveling and Tennis bags

Sup2Dresq
11-28-2007, 11:30 AM
For most tournaments that our out of state and require me to fly, I usually just put all my stuff into a tennis back pack. I would love to take more stuff, even more racquets, but never sure what the policies are or if they stick at every airport.

Have any of you guys traveled with a full tennis bag? 6-pack, or 12 pack like me.

Do you check it in? Are you able to carry on a plane a 12 pack?

Your travel experience is greatly appreciated.

Here is what i usually carry:

http://rs.tennis-warehouse.com/tw/thumbs/BABBP-thumb.jpg

What I would like to take.. (peferrably without checking it in)

http://rs.tennis-warehouse.com/tw/thumbs/BAB12-thumb.jpg

Tips, advice? Help?

Sup

Topaz
11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
You know, I combed through the TSA website the other night, and I couldn't find any mention of tennis racquets. Every other conceivable type of sports equipment was mentioned, but nothing about tennis racquets.

I was planning on using my backpack-style bag, though I keep worrying and thinking maybe I should just check it all.

I was also planning on calling the airline to see what they had to say...I've seen that suggested on here before as well. I think the tennis travel forum is where I read about it.

shintan17
11-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Sup, Topaz.

Shouldn't be any problem at all. I've traveled with a golf bag before at least a few times (which is a lot bigger and heavier than regular tennis bags unless you put a stringer or something inside ;p), and I checked in the bag. No issues. I don't think you can carry in the 12 pack inside..dunno about the 6 pack, though..you should check that with the airline. They have the limitation for the size..I assume..and probably weight too. I know you worry that they will crush your precious gears or something, but just add some towels or clothes inside the bag for additional cusions, and should be good to go.

Do they even allow you to bring in the tennis racquet, though? I was thinking it could be a weapon for terrorists ;p

Sup2Dresq
11-28-2007, 12:05 PM
When I was in Rhode Island during the National Open Grass Court Championship, my birthday and the Gibson/Outback championship, I saw a lot of bags at the airport. They were checked in but wrapped in plastic. A lot of peeps were carrying around small racquet bags (holding maybe 2 racquets in them).

Topaz.. sounds like we both are "planners". I need to know as i would love to bring a bigger bag. I think yours will make in the plane. Mine def won't. I can carry a small army in mine.

I was even considering shipping it over there but why do so if Im out the first round.

Wonder what the low pro's do.

Back in my day, I had my stuff shipped to whatever starting point (usually continent) I was playing in. However my dad took care of that stuff, and it was well before todays security standards.

Jonnyf
11-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey I take a 12 pack all the time. Although, the restrictions will be different in the Uk. However, I still check it in fine abroad. I'd never travel after a new re-string though as the hold alters the tension

Topaz
11-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Tennis Racket
A tennis racket may be carried on the aircraft and counts as one carryon item.

This is from the airline's website...this is all they say.

http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll/,/?St=12,E=0000000000015217345,K=1521,Sxi=12,Case=ob j(2236)#s12

Interesting to know that antler/horns are considered sporting equipment.

Still, would like to actually speak to someone at the airline for clarification...one racquet? Or one racquet bag?

Sup2Dresq
11-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Per Jet Blue

Carry-on Requirements
Each customer may bring one bag that fits in the overhead bin plus one personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop, etc.) that fits under the seat in front of you. Your personal item must not exceed 18"l (45.72 cm) x 15"w (38.1 cm) x 8"h 20.32 cm) in order to fit under the seat in front of you.To fit in the overhead bin, your item must not exceed:
for our Airbus A320: 26 inches (66 centimeters) length x 18 inches (45.72 centimeters) width x 12 inches (30.48 centimeters) height
for our EMBRAER 190: 24 inches (60.96 centimeters) length x 16 inches(40.64 centimeters) width x 10 inches (25.4 centimeters) height If you have a medical assistance item, it will not count as a carryon.Closets for hanging garment bags are not available on our aircraft.

Topaz
11-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Hmmm, guess I will need to measure the bag tonight.

Edit that...bag is too long. I'm leaning toward taking the 'uber' racquet in my backpack, and check the other, non-uber racquets.

Fee
11-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Check the travel section, there were a few threads on this topic with assorted bits of info/advice. :)

shintan17
11-28-2007, 04:17 PM
If you guys don't wanna check in the bag...I guess you have to bring the smaller bag. I thought you can check in two bags for domestic flights as well, right?

Geezer Guy
11-29-2007, 10:02 AM
I travel with my 6-pack bag all the time. Depending on the size of the plane, it will either EASILY or JUST BARELY fit in the overhead. If you're booked on a small plane, do not pack your bag too tight.

Tennis-Chris
11-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Call the airline prior to your flight. I have only been refused the ability to carry my racquets on one time in America during a time of heightened alert. I travel with a Wilson Super Six. In Europe I have never had a problem nor in South America.:mrgreen:

Sup2Dresq
11-30-2007, 06:20 AM
Call the airline prior to your flight. I have only been refused the ability to carry my racquets on one time in America during a time of heightened alert. I travel with a Wilson Super Six. In Europe I have never had a problem nor in South America.:mrgreen:

Did you carry on the plane or check it in? Did they do anything special with the bag?

mrHan
11-30-2007, 08:31 AM
I believe you would have trouble with the 6/12 pack as a carry on. The airline may require you to check that in. However, you should be able to hand carry your racquets in. If you want to take the chance of bringing the 12 pack as a carry on, bring a box with you. You can then pack it at the counter if they don't allow it as a carry on.

mrHan
11-30-2007, 08:33 AM
I've traveled with a golf bag before at least a few times

Golf clubs are no longer allowed by TSA as a carry on

Tennis-Chris
11-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Did you carry on the plane or check it in? Did they do anything special with the bag?

Yes, I did carry it on. No, I did not do anything special. That applies to all the continents I referenced.:mrgreen:

shintan17
11-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Golf clubs are no longer allowed by TSA as a carry on

I didn't say I carried it on..I don't think you ever could before.