PDA

View Full Version : Do you belive in Atlantis?

forzainter
11-28-2007, 01:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantis

Just wondering how many people believe in it, I do.

Leelord337
11-28-2007, 02:11 PM
I believe there was an island that was below sea level and when the great flood happened it flooded it. there is evidence that a great flood did occur. According to experts, there are erosion marks on the great pyramids and the great sphinx that are not caused by sandstorms but by water.

AM28143
11-28-2007, 02:19 PM
No, Plato merely used Atlantis to demonstrate what happens to societies when they become too greedy, and too powerful.

little_e
11-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Yes why not.

AM28143
11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Yes why not.

Why not? For one there is little, if any, archelogical evidence supporting it's existence.

little_e
11-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Its called faith you don't have to have physical proof for it to have been a real place. The library at Alexandrea isn't around anymore btu no one doubts its existence.

AM28143
11-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Its called faith you don't have to have physical proof for it to have been a real place. The library at Alexandrea isn't around anymore btu no one doubts its existence.

I've made it a habit not to argue with one's faith. So, believe in Atlantis all you want. Also, while your at it, believe the tooth fairy will pay five bucks for that tooth you lost in a bar fight.

richw76
11-28-2007, 02:42 PM
An Ancient city with a relatively advanced society, sure. Maybe it was even referred to as Atlantis.

Atlantis, in the StarGate, or Justice league cartoon way. Atlantis was made up of the descendants of super advanced aliens.... don't think so but it would be cool.

I really wonder what will remain of Us in 10-50K years? Probably a 2 liter of Coke, and.... yeah just that.

little_e
11-28-2007, 03:23 PM
I've made it a habit not to argue with one's faith. So, believe in Atlantis all you want. Also, while your at it, believe the tooth fairy will pay five bucks for that tooth you lost in a bar fight.

Faith does not mean religion. Faith in this context just means being willing to beleave in something without physical evidence. Why is it not within the realm of possiblity that Atlantis existed at some point in our past.

AM28143
11-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Faith does not mean religion. Faith in this context just means being willing to beleave in something without physical evidence. Why is it not within the realm of possiblity that Atlantis existed at some point in our past.

Did I mention religion?

cghipp
11-28-2007, 03:34 PM
I believe in Stargate: Atlantis! Never miss it.

lethalfang
11-28-2007, 04:14 PM

It's possible, but I wouldn't bet anything on it.
There have been legendary objects that's believed to be made up, and then discovered to be real, e.g. China's Terracotta Warriors.
However, most of those objects are indeed made up or exaggerated.

Tempest344
11-28-2007, 08:53 PM
of course it exists

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Atlantis_map_1882.jpg

its right here

besides Atlantis is in the 1st Tomb Raider game
so its got to be real right?:grin:

AM28143
11-28-2007, 08:59 PM
of course it exists

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Atlantis_map_1882.jpg

its right here

besides Atlantis is in the 1st Tomb Raider game
so its got to be real right?:grin:

Good job. Your map outweighs all the evidence to the contrary, I now believe in Atlantis.

SoBad
11-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Please clarify what you mean by "believe in Atlantis"? Believe that it's there now or that it used to be? Please don't make everybody read that whole wiki article, and just summarise it in your own word the best that you can. Thank you.

TokyopunK
11-28-2007, 09:19 PM
http://thecia.com.au/reviews/a/images/atlantis-5.jpg

I saw a movie and Atlantis does exist!

rommil
11-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Hopefully it's real. I already have reservations.

CanadianChic
11-28-2007, 10:25 PM
I believe...I mean it's there - what is there not to believe? I suppose the level of degree and to which stories you put stock in is a better question.

lethalfang
11-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Good job. Your map outweighs all the evidence to the contrary, I now believe in Atlantis.

As far as I know, there is no evidence to prove that Atlantis is in fact an imaginary place.
It's just that there isn't any evidence to prove that it has ever existed, despite the fact that many have searched for it.
It's difficult to prove a negative (that Atlantis never existed), so there will always be some believers, and I won't tell them that they are wrong because they could be right. I would tell them, however, that they are most likely wrong.

Leelord337
11-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Why not? For one there is little, if any, archelogical evidence supporting it's existence.

You guys will become believers if you watched a lot of specials about Atlantis on The travel channel, history channel, or discovery channel, i'm a believer.

Leelord337
11-28-2007, 11:08 PM
http://thecia.com.au/reviews/a/images/atlantis-5.jpg

I saw a movie and Atlantis does exist!

what movie is that?

TokyopunK
11-29-2007, 04:47 AM
what movie is that?

Atlantis : The Lost Empire

forzainter
11-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Please clarify what you mean by "believe in Atlantis"? Believe that it's there now or that it used to be? Please don't make everybody read that whole wiki article, and just summarise it in your own word the best that you can. Thank you.

by believe in it I mean that it was a real place that did have its own empire

shrakkie
11-29-2007, 08:29 AM
The abscence of evidence is not the evidence of abscence.

Klatu Verata Necktie
11-29-2007, 08:39 AM
A palace has been discovered on the island of Crete at Knosis that fits many of the descriptions that Plato wrote about in "The Republic". One theory as to why that society was destroyed centers around an ancient volcanic eruption at Santorini.

richw76
11-29-2007, 08:39 AM
by believe in it I mean that it was a real place that did have its own empire

yeah sure in the greek city-state kinda way. That Map someone found makes it look the size of California. It would be kinda cool if the Atlantians did exist.

However I'm starting to think Stargate Atlantis/Atlantians could be seen in a darker light.

They are vary elitist
The ability to use their advanced technology is obtained via Bloodlines.

I think Stargate is part of an insidious plan by a secret society, bent on world conquest and domination..... or I guess it could just be a neat tv show. :-)