PDA

View Full Version : My strokes(5.0) if interested

danielpreston
11-30-2007, 09:05 AM
If you haven't seen them already ... have a look, constructive hard hitting comments are OK.

Forehands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zciLHOU9Q2g

Backhands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJXU5Cg2Cvw

Matchplay 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-5SNC8JrQ&feature=related

Matchplay 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPC84VT7pYU&feature=related

Enjoy!:)

danielpreston
12-04-2007, 08:35 AM
No comments!

You're either completely stunned or completely bored! Own up!

PROTENNIS63
12-04-2007, 09:00 AM
I watched 1 minute of the first video. That's all I had time for :)
Anyways, your footwork is good. You are low which keeps you in balance. But during the swing, you make this jerky move on the forehand. Watch your video and see for your self. I am sure this causes you to either shank or mishit many shots. You are also off balance when you do the jerky movements. I do that myself sometimes. I aint perfect either. Otherwise, not bad.

chess9
12-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Good luck in America, Dan! I think you will have a lot of fun over here. I'll be going there in March '08 because I love England.

Your strokes look very reliable. You don't have pretty strokes, which is, I suspect, the poster above's main point. Jerkiness in the swing is common in most players.

I watched 3 of the videos. The guy Ali is, what, about a 5.2? When you say 5.0, you mean American rating system? What is your rating in England? I'd guess 3.2 or so.

-Robert

Klatu Verata Necktie
12-04-2007, 11:27 AM
I checked out your forehand drills video, and you look like a really solid player. Good luck in the US!

By the way, good choice of music ;)

danielpreston
12-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Good luck in America, Dan! I think you will have a lot of fun over here. I'll be going there in March '08 because I love England.

Your strokes look very reliable. You don't have pretty strokes, which is, I suspect, the poster above's main point. Jerkiness in the swing is common in most players.

I watched 3 of the videos. The guy Ali is, what, about a 5.2? When you say 5.0, you mean American rating system? What is your rating in England? I'd guess 3.2 or so.

-Robert

Yes, Robert I'm a 3.2 ... should've been higher if I'd not hit a lot of niggling injuries over the last 18 months.

Where are going to be in England?

J011yroger
12-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Where are you comming to in the USA?

Great vids.

Hammertime!

J

danielpreston
12-05-2007, 03:43 PM
No definite chosen location.

Trying to get a blend of great academics and good tennis. I think that reflects the order of my priorities.

Seem to get an interested uni about once a fortnight.

SFrazeur
12-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Rating: -1.0

I'm deducting a lot for the "Hammer" song.

-SF, touching whatever I want. . .

Leelord337
12-05-2007, 04:29 PM
lots of players on tour have ugly strokes but are effective...ex..ivo karlovic's forehand and backhand. super fugly, but he's still in the top 50, having only a great serve is not going to get you in the top 50

tykrum
12-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey Dan, from what it looks like you seem to be more of a 4.5 player. I think you would do just fine at a D2 or D3 school. You should work on trying to get more out of your legs and torso on your serve (I would say staying rotated longer), as well as simplifying your forehand by starting your takeback earlier. Also try to step into your backhand slices and drive them more instead of allowing them to float back. Obviously you could definitely be a 5.0 player and just not look like it on the video, but I'm just saying you don't play like the 5.0 players that I know. I wouldn't put too much weight on any comments here from just watching a video though.

dirkgnuf
12-06-2007, 01:11 PM
This is a bit off topic, but daniel, I noticed in your video your SATs are 1250 or something,
Do people in UK not add the critical reading(or is it writing?) as well to that score, because i doubt you pulled a 1250/2400.

TonLars
12-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Looks like a good solid player to me. Im sure you would be able to make the team at almost any good program over here and get at least some scholarship. No reason for anyone to doubt your rating considering youre at a college playing level and seeing your videos. Good luck

nickb
12-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Hey Dan, from what it looks like you seem to be more of a 4.5 player. I think you would do just fine at a D2 or D3 school. You should work on trying to get more out of your legs and torso on your serve (I would say staying rotated longer), as well as simplifying your forehand by starting your takeback earlier. Also try to step into your backhand slices and drive them more instead of allowing them to float back. Obviously you could definitely be a 5.0 player and just not look like it on the video, but I'm just saying you don't play like the 5.0 players that I know. I wouldn't put too much weight on any comments here from just watching a video though.

If he is a UK 3.2....he will be US 5.0.

danielpreston
12-06-2007, 02:01 PM
This is a bit off topic, but daniel, I noticed in your video your SATs are 1250 or something,
Do people in UK not add the critical reading(or is it writing?) as well to that score, because i doubt you pulled a 1250/2400.

Hi Dirk, My SAT is CR(600) and Math(650). Writing was 590.

Good results, but not amazing .... I did better with my British national exams.

danielpreston
12-06-2007, 02:02 PM
If he is a UK 3.2....he will be US 5.0.

That's right Nick; should have been a 5.5 (3.1) but injuries nobbled me!

bad_call
12-07-2007, 05:41 AM
vids are entertaining. strokes are solid...especially the forehand. good luck with your college choice. looks like you have your priorities spot on. keep us posted as to which uni u pick.

Pro_Tour_630
12-07-2007, 08:27 AM
you have talent.................in Hollywood :)

pabletion
12-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Nice vid! I think it would be a great idea to start a thread in which anyone could post their vids, I've been wanting to post one of me, specially since I dont know my rating, I think I'm a 5 player, specially looking at your vids; I've never seen ME play, haha so its something Im very curious about too, but great job on the vid, specially camera wise, you can really appreciate your game, mostly on your match... good job

chess9
12-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Yes, Robert I'm a 3.2 ... should've been higher if I'd not hit a lot of niggling injuries over the last 18 months.

Where are going to be in England?

I'm going to be near Gatwick airport, lad. I'm a 4.-4.5 ex-college player, but I'm old as dirt. :) I am very fit. :)

-Robert

danielpreston
12-09-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm going to be near Gatwick airport, lad. I'm a 4.-4.5 ex-college player, but I'm old as dirt. :) I am very fit. :)

-Robert

So you're a dirty old player!! You're going to be about 20 miles away. The Brighton Health & Racquet Club is the venue with decent players. Knowing that so many things in the States are such good value for us Brits - you'll probably find the 77 pcm membership fee a little steep. That's life across the pond though!

weekendwarrior
12-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Damn you're good. Is the Andy Murray haircut a big fad in the UK amongst tennis players?

danielpreston
12-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Damn you're good. Is the Andy Murray haircut a big fad in the UK amongst tennis players?

The haircut is crucial:)

hyogen
12-12-2007, 10:29 PM
damn...i must say you are a true 5.0. very impressed. I wonder if i'll ever be able to play like this.

danielpreston
12-16-2007, 12:30 AM
damn...i must say you are a true 5.0. very impressed. I wonder if i'll ever be able to play like this.

Nice comment, Hyogen ..... however sadly I'm not that good! I'd love it if all the D1 colleges came running after me with a scholarship!

AndrewD
12-16-2007, 02:35 AM
Daniel,

Have you managed to narrow down your options or are there any schools which stand out for you?

junbug
12-18-2007, 05:08 AM
D2 or D3 school for him

junbug
12-18-2007, 05:15 AM
dan personally you need a net game as well. this is still serve and volley country. there are some colleges here in the pacific northwestern US looking for players. the best you can do here is walk on and let your tennis do the talking. there is a website where you can post and college coaches will ask about you. i wish you the best.

danielpreston
12-18-2007, 08:07 AM
dan personally you need a net game as well. this is still serve and volley country. there are some colleges here in the pacific northwestern US looking for players. the best you can do here is walk on and let your tennis do the talking. there is a website where you can post and college coaches will ask about you. i wish you the best.

Got the address of the web-site, Junbug?

hyogen
02-11-2008, 03:34 PM
lol i've hit with junbug before in real life. i'll give him a call and find out why he hasn't replied to your post.

he's a good guy.

man, to have all that talent and be faced with so much competition...must be tough.

I knew a family that went to my church...whose son and daughter were like #1 in oregon, his sister was close to #1 in oregon too. Charn and esther park or pak?

apparently he gave up his tennis dream after hitting with Agassi down in California....

makes me sad :'(

for me though, if I had that much talent and potential...I would NOT have let Agassi SPANKING ME on the court discourage me in any way. I would hopefully let that motivate me even more to be a better player.

Pleepers
02-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Strong 4.5 (no 5.0). D2 or 3. Good luck.

danielpreston
03-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Got some great unconditional offers from the best of UK universities; so I'm gonna let my American dream die, study and play tennis here on home turf.

After 7 months of solid frustration, I can now say that the golfer's elbow thingy is now gone and I hope to join the tennis circuit again in April.

Thanks to all you American dudes (and some further afield) out there who were legendary in supplying help and encouragement.

CAM178
03-14-2008, 04:04 PM
apparently he gave up his tennis dream after hitting with Agassi down in California....
I agree with you: that is absurd. There is no reason to quit because he hit with Agassi. He hits with one of the best ever and decides he'll never be anything? Foolish. He should hit with top guys in the section in men's open to make that decision.

hyogen
03-14-2008, 04:09 PM
i strung my strings the way you told me to last night cam :D went to bed around 4 AM doing that, another stringsetup, and some other stuff... gah

well the only thing is instead of PSGD, I put NXT. I imagine my setup will not last as long.

junbug
03-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Got the address of the web-site, Junbug?

google it. the video you have should help. also include your tennis resume.