PDA

View Full Version : Power level numbers

NoBadMojo
11-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Hi.have you folks looked into including power level #'s with the rest of your racquet specs? I am not a big believer in much of what the USRSA puts out, but think their power level numbers are an excellent reference # and somehow seem to be pretty darn accurate relative to how one frame compares to another. No clue what procedure they use, but it does seem to be mostly right. Think this is the one piece of missing info because flex, swingweight, etc arent often indicative enough. Power level numbers would be an excellent way to help simplify what is often an arduous process for many people IMO..that of selecting a racquet. thoughts? Ed

TW Staff
11-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Good idea. We've resisted this until now, due to most manufacturers having their own power level system. However, it would make sense for us to create a TW power level rating system, that incorporates weight, balance and/or swingweight, flex, length, headsize and string pattern density (my 2 cents). I'll toss it around here at TW and see if we can come up with something that won't cause the racquet companies too much heartburn... Thanks! Don/Tennis Warehouse

NoBadMojo
11-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi Don..I understand the formula to be ---> length index (27=1.0, 27.5.=1.05, 28=1.1) x headsize x flex x swingweight divided by 1000.
perhaps you already have all the other specs in a spreadsheet matrix somewhere, and can just stick in the formula....are things sometimes this simple? :) Agree string density can affect power level, and this doesnt account for that other than maybe smaller headed frames having denser patterns often, so maybe a gearhead can factor density into there too. hoping this helps. Ed