PDA

View Full Version : Forearm Pronation and the forehand stroke

Puma
03-20-2004, 05:37 AM
Hello,

I would like to thank BB for his help. He was nice enough to go into detail about the leading elbow with the forehand stroke.

I've been playing for 1.5 yrs and have always had trouble with the forehand side.

After good explanation from BB, I went out with my ball machine and found really satisfying results. Much more power with really good topspin. Whereas before, if I were to strike one really hard, I usually didn't have enough topspin to keep it in.

The key for me is that leading with the elbow allows me to maintain the connection of the pulling of the torso into the ball without losing control of the racket face.

Good advice from BB.......Thanks

Puma

Bungalo Bill
03-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Thanks Puma I really appreciate your comment. Keep going on it will pay off. When you feel you are hitting it the way we talked about, you will be ready for the next step. Give it about three months of solid practice. And remember you dont need to swing hard. The pace will come from your improved leverage.

Just work on getting it over the net and into the court - consistency. Then work on placement. After that I can give you some things on how to make it a more powerful weapon which will not really change what your doing now but work on more strengthening exercises.

JC
03-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Since I am online I might as well add my two cents! BB I really appreciate what you have done for my game. I know you havent seen me play but I can tell you your comments have really helped me and my son play tennis better. Several times I was going to give up tennis and when I tried your comments and suggestions it was the icebreaker for me. I love tennis now and always look forward to your comments. Oh by the way, thanks for the quick and thorough replies by email, that has made all the difference sharing back and forth for further explanation.

- Jonathon Commings

Japanese Maple
03-20-2004, 11:22 AM
JC,

If you and your son are really serious about enjoying and improving
your tennis game, I would strongly reccommend that you work
with a certified tennis instructor that can see you actually hit the
ball and have advice tailored specifically to you.

JC
03-20-2004, 11:37 AM
JapeneseM: I dont need you to tell me how to improve my sons or my games tennis. We have a Certified USPTA Coach and he contributes to this board - which is the one you constantly stalk to voice your disapproval of his contributions. Not everyone can afford lessons. As far as we are concerned, it is none of your business what and how we play tennis. Since your not a certified pro (otherwise your behavior woud be more professional), your not worth listening to.

Japanese Maple
03-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Relax Bungalow Billy, since 9/11 I have learned not to take things
or myself so seriously . Having lettered in highschool and been
a major contributor in football,basketball,baseball,golf,volleyball,
and tennis, I believe I can offer an unique perspective regarding
a tennis players development and ability to maximize their true
potential. As a certified tennis instructor and tournament player
I certainly know what I am talking about and I will always try to
do my best to keep things simple so that a child won't be confused
and quit the game. I will do my very best to tone down comments
as to not to offend you and respond directly to the question at hand
so children everywhere can learn how to play tennis through the
web if they can't afford lessons on their own but this will be
a very difficult endeavor. Good luck and God Bless!

Bungalo Bill
03-21-2004, 12:57 AM
Well Japanese,

We both have a lot in common. since we have played tennis a long time and are Certified pros and compete in open level tournaments we are probably able to support each others posts rather then be destructive.

I also keep things simple, but I come from a different perspective as I believe that things need to be more isolated and learned before incorporating other techniques or movements. Such as mixing the split step with the step out. Both of these can be isolated and worked on then incorporated together to be performed and most importantly timed together.

My degree is in Human learning and I know a great deal of how people learn and develop.

With that said, I appreciate your insight and contributions to make this board one of the best places to come for help in tennis. What I don't appreciate is the comments towards me when you have never met me nor know anything about me.

You don't need to prove to me about your knowledge in tennis. A lot of us have solid tennis knowledge on this board. But what I have learned is that we try to work together to help someone with their posts instead of against each other. I also believe I am very clear and simple and most of all thorough. I tend to put things out there and let people ask questions concerning their games. I use followup threads to clarify and help.

It is my hope that we work together as I always believe I can learn more from others. no one has all the answers but we certainly can provide a lot of insight working together.

I also have an extensive sports background as a lot of us do here and I played for San Diego State University's tennis team before NOT going pro. Instead I went to Hawaii to perform my other passion which is surfing.

So I hope we can work together in future threads.