PDA

View Full Version : help: american twist to break 6+ feet before the bounce?

vinouspleasure
03-20-2004, 05:46 AM
Hi,

I have a pretty good American Twist that breaks about a foot before the bounce and then kicks high and off the other direction. It's a great second serve. I also like to hit it as a first serve wide to the ad court (against a righty) and follow it to net.

However, I've played matches against people that can get the serve to break 5 or 6 feet before the bounce. What do I need to change to accomplish this?

tia,
jd

Bungalo Bill
03-20-2004, 11:49 AM
More spin means higher racquet head speeds in the direction of the spin your trying to do. In this case if your right handed if the ball was a clock face you would hit the ball in the direction of 7 to 1.

the best way to practice spin is to do it slowly and deliberately. Start from the back fence and really brush the ball.

moonshine
03-20-2004, 08:45 PM
head speed, head speed, head speed

vinouspleasure
03-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Just to be sure, are you saying that I should hit the ball at 7 and follow through to 1? In the past, when I've tried to creep beyond 6, I start catching the ball with the frame. Perhaps I have to adjust my toss (which is center and slightly behind me)?

I've got pretty good racquet speed now...I made an adjustment about a year ago to follow through towards the fence.

Hitting from the back fence is an intriguing idea. I'll give it a whirl.

thanks,
jd