PDA

View Full Version : Put togethr a team of eight players from the open era.

Wuornos
12-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Player 1 Is unrestricted.
Player 2 Must have less than 5 major wins.
Player 3. Must have less than 2 majors.
Player 4. Must never have won a major.

4 for the men and 4 for the women.

My choices would be :

Men

1. Roger Federer
2. Jim Courier
3. Pat Cash
4. Novak Đoković

Women

1. Margaret Smith Court
2. Arantxa Sánchez Vicario
3. Gabriela Sabatini
4. Helena Suková

C'mon I want to see you knowledgeable boys have a go at this:
Moose, AndrewD, SgtJohn, Urban, Nickognito, Noeledmonds, FedforGoat, Cyborg, Chaog etc

The reason I'm asking is I want to see howdiverse views can be within certain constraints. It's not just a silly post. Honest ! :)

CEvertFan
12-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Interesting criteria. Ok, here are my picks:

For the men:

1. Rod Laver
2. Rafael Nadal
3. Goran Ivanisevic
4. David Nalbandian

For the women:

1. Chris Evert
2. Hana Mandlikova
3. Kim Clijsters
4. Mary Joe Fernandez

On a side note, Djokovic is the correct spelling of Novak's last name. Also I tried to pick different names than you did so that it wouldn't degenerate into a repitition of the same names over and over again.

federerfanatic
12-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Men:

1. Roger Federer
2. Jim Courier
3. Adriano Panatta
4. Novak Djokovic

Women:

1. Steffi Graf
2. Aranxta Sanchez Vicario
3. Kim Clijsters
4. Helena Sukova

akv89
12-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Men
1. Roger Federer
2. Guillermo Vilas
3. Pat Cash
4. Alex Corretja

Women
1. Steffi Graf
2. Arantxa Sanchez Vicario
3. Gabriela Sabatini
4. Helena Sukova

hewittboy
12-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Men
1. Roger Federer
2. Guillermo Vilas
3. LLeyton Hewitt
4. Alex Corretja

Women
1. Steffi Graf
2. Martina Hingis
3. Gabriela Sabatini
4. Helena Sukova

Hingis has 5 slam titles in singles, so she is in eligible for anything but the unrestricted option.

akv89
12-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Hingis has 5 slam titles in singles, so she is in eligible for anything but the unrestricted option.

Thanks. I thought the second option was 5 or less grand slams. The mistake has been corrected.

Nickognito
12-02-2007, 12:08 PM
1.Laver
2.Nadal
3.Ivanisevic
4.Djokovic

With Nadal and Ivanisevic i can win 2 slams without my best player

c.

HyperHorse
12-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Men's...
1. Pete Sampras
2. Marat Safin
3. Goran Ivanisevic
4. Henri Leconte

Women...
1. Steffi Graf
2. Martina Hingis
3. Jana Novotna
4. Nicole Vaidisova

Nickognito
12-02-2007, 12:30 PM
1.Navratilova
2.Mandlikova
3.Sabatini
4.Sukova

A.J. Sim
12-02-2007, 12:32 PM
1. Sampras
2. Courier
3. Stich
4. Gilbert

1. Navratilova
2. Davenport
3. Clijsters
4. Jaeger

Steve132
12-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Men

1. Laver
2. Courier
3. Chang
4. Djokovic

Women

1. Navratilova
2. Mandlikova
3. Clijsters
4. Sukova

The really tough choice was between Courier, Nadal and Vilas in the men's <5 category.

Steve132
12-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Men
1. Roger Federer
2. Guillermo Vilas
3. LLeyton Hewitt
4. Alex Corretja

Women
1. Steffi Graf
2. Arantxa Sanchez Vicario
3. Gabriela Sabatini
4. Helena Sukova

Hewitt won two Slams and as such he's not eligible for category #3 (which he would otherwise win easily).

Nickognito
12-02-2007, 05:43 PM
with two slam i would 'easily' pick Ilie Nastase or maybe Safin ...

c.

AndrewD
12-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Tim,

Just seems like a fun post, not a silly one.

Assuming we are talking about players in their prime and assuming you don't mean '5 or less, 2 or less' . I'll go on a limb and, trying not to pick the same as you, say;

Men
1. John McEnroe
2. Gustavo Kuerten
3. Andy Roddick
4. Todd Martin

HOWEVER, if you meant wins in the Open era only and discounted their wins during the Amatuer days

1. Rod Laver
2. Ken Rosewall
3. Michael Stich
4. Miloslav Mecir

Women

1. Martina Navratilova
2. Hana Mandlikova
3. Kim Cjlisters
4. Pam Shriver

You'll notice that my teams can all play doubles as well as singles and can all excel on every surface. In a Davis Cup format, Mens Team 1 would have Mac and Martin play the doubles, singles would be Kuerten and Mac on clay with Mac and Roddick on hardcourts. Men's Team 2 (if allowed) would be Laver and Rosewall playing singles on all surfaces, then Stich playing doubles with one of them.

In the women's, I picked three singles players who can play on all surfaces and also play doubles. In the #4 slot I put the best women's doubles player never to have won a singles major. Handy that her doubles partner was my #1 and that, as a singles player she also ranked as high as #3 in the world.

boredone3456
12-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Men:
see cevertfan's list, its the same as what mine would be

Women:
1.Navratilova (though evert would be a close second choice)-18 majors and had some tough competition throughout in evert, king, graf...just to name a few and she still comes out on top in many of the records.

2. Sanchez-Vicario- all around strong player, although not the most fit she tangled with graf well many times, and if not for graf, may have won many more majors than she did

3.Clijsters -she only won the one major, but made three other finals and many semifinals, she is agile, strong and has steady shots.

4. Shriver- Career high rank of number three and a consistant performer, the high rank itself is an achievement considering she never played the french open in singles except for twice. it was either her or jaeger for me...but jaeger didn't have much of a career to judge on.

Moose Malloy
12-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Laver
Courier
Cash
Mecir

Navratilova
Mandlikova
Clijsters
Sukova

lambielspins
12-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Clijsters seems a popular choice in category #3.

CyBorg
12-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Rod Laver
Stan Smith
Michael Stich
Cedric Pioline

Money on all surfaces. No weaknesses.

I don't really follow the ladies enough to care.

superman1
12-03-2007, 09:04 PM
1. Federer
2. Courier
3. Roddick
4. Djokovic

Courier is more all-surface than Nadal, Roddick is more reliable than Ivanisevic, and Djokovic has no weaknesses.

racquet_jedi
12-03-2007, 09:24 PM
My team would be:
Andre Agassi
Patrick Rafter
Andy Roddick
Marcelo Rios

Monica Seles
Lindsay Davenport
Kim Clijsters
Ana Ivanovic

grafrules
12-03-2007, 10:04 PM
My team would be:
Andre Agassi
Patrick Rafter
Andy Roddick
Marcelo Rios

Monica Seles
Lindsay Davenport
Kim Clijsters
Ana Ivanovic

Your team would get its butt kicked in by all the other teams here, especialy the mens team.

superman1
12-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Not necessarily. If Agassi is in his prime with his head on straight, he can hang with anyone. If Nalbandian can beat Fed, so can prime Agassi. He just wouldn't be the favorite.

grafrules
12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Not necessarily. If Agassi is in his prime with his head on straight, he can hang with anyone. If Nalbandian can beat Fed, so can prime Agassi. He just wouldn't be the favorite.

I wasnt referring to Agassi only, but the overall team. Yeah you are right Agassi would have his share of wins vs any all time great in their mutual primes probably, but he would probably lose much more then he would win to any of Sampras, Federer, Laver, especialy in a most important match, which is the main point.

Saying if Nalbandian can beat Fed then Agassi automaticaly should be able to have such and such success is flawed on many levels. For starters remind me when Nalbandian beats Federer 2004 or beyond in a grand slam. His wins are all either 2003 or earlier or not in a grand slam, and I suspect that is how it will always be. His biggest win of all was the Masters Cup final in 2005 were Federer was injured and out of shape since he had to cram to get ready for the event and had barely any practice time, and still he barely won that. All his other wins were 2003-before when Federer was beatable by alot of players, or in matches that really dont mean much like end of year Masters events with preperation for the slams all done, and rankings all but set.

Also there are so many different matchups and losses to supposably lesser players in tennis. Nalbandian plays a similar game to Agassi, just not quite as good, but Wayne Ferreira plays a similar game style to both Agassi and Nalbandian (he is 0-11 vs Agassi so there you go) and is much weaker then both at it, yet he surprisingly beat Sampras 4 in a row at one point, and only trails their career head to head 6-7. Yet it is not like you can turn around and say well if Ferreira can beat Sampras that many times, then Agassi should be able to do this or that vs Sampras. It just doesnt work like that.

FiveO
12-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Men:

1) Laver
2) Kuerten
3) Stich
4) Rios

Women:

1) Smith-Court
2) Mandlikova
3) Clijsters
4) Jaeger

2 Cent
12-04-2007, 03:39 PM
1) Andre Agassi
2) Patrick Rafter
3) Goran Ivanisevic
4) Brad Gilbert

2 Cent
12-04-2007, 03:41 PM
1) Monica Seles
2) Jennifer Capriati
3) Gabriela Sabatini
4) Mary Joe Fernandez

noeledmonds
12-05-2007, 12:00 PM
I presume when you say "team" this is not reffering to any kind of cooperation between players or ability to compete accross surfaces, otherwise my choices might change.

Using open-era players only:

1. Laver
2. Courier
3. Chang
4. Rios

My knowledge of womens' tennis is poor but here would be my choices anyway:

1. Navratilova
2. Mandlikova
3. Sabatini
4. Shriver

zorroman
12-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Roger Federer
Jim Courier
Michael Stich
Todd Martin

The only spot that I had difficulty picking was the number 2 spot. It was hard for me to pick between Nadal and Courier, but we have to remember Courier was a #1 player who had more hard court success (2 Aus. opens and a US open final).

babar
01-08-2008, 09:27 AM
-------------------------------------------
1-Roger Federer (b/c he is the GOAT)
2-Rafael Nadal (b/c his speed is second to none)
3-Richard Krajicek (b/c I wanted a big server in my group)
4-Tommy Haas (b/c of his high talent level)
-------------------------------------------
1-Steffi Graf (b/c she is the GOAT)
2-Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (b/c of her speed and tenacity)
3-Kim Clijsters (b/c of her court coverage and power)
4-Mary Joe Fernandez (b/c of her deep penetrating groundstrokes)

rightytopspin79
01-10-2008, 12:20 PM
1. Andre Agassi
2. Nadal
3. Safin
4. Rios

Andres
01-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Let's work on an ALL SURFACE team:

Player 1: Roger Federer (all)
Player 2: Guga Kuerten (clay and hard)
Player 3: Goran Ivanisevic (grass and carpet)
Player 4: David Nalbandian (all)

Warriorroger
01-13-2008, 04:17 AM
Number 01
Steffi Graf and Roger Federer:
Athleticism, power and touch, and when it matters most, these two have proven to be the absolute best on all surfaces. Both are classic players with the power of today.

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=69140&rendTypeId=4http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Backcourt/General/2007_08_23_Federer_article.jpg

Number 02
Lindsay Davenport and Jim Courier:
When the A team (Graf and Federer) have an off day and an inspired opponent, rely on team B for punishing, deep and cleanly hit winners. Far less beautiful to watch than the A team, but super effective when you need a simple game plan.

Number 03
Gabriela Sabatini and Andy Roddick:
She could inspire him with all her talent and looks. She has every shot in the book, including a very beautiful topsspin backhand. He could teach her to serve better. This team will give specators a lot of fun to watch.

Team 04
Irena Spirlea and Richard Gasquet:
A poor mans copy of team A. Might fool opponents on a misty day that they're facing Graf and Federer.

zagor
01-13-2008, 08:05 AM
1-Sampras
2-Kuerten
3-Krajicek
4-Djokovic

Serve n' Volley
01-28-2008, 09:16 AM
1) Laver
2) Kuerten
3) Djokovic
4) Gasquet

Warriorroger
08-27-2008, 03:17 AM
more thoughts

Gorecki
08-27-2008, 04:15 AM
Djokovic is not eligible for the 4th categorie! why is everyone picking him?

1-Agassi
2-Rafter
3-Richard Krajicek
4-Mecir

1-Steffi Graf
2-Arantxa
3-Sabatini
4-Tauziat