PDA

View Full Version : Federer's new pic on Wiki is too much

wangs78
12-05-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm a big Federer fan. Always will be. He has a beautiful game, plays with style and carries himself with style. BUT, the new main pic of him on Wikipedia is too much. It almost seems like he cares more about his fashion sense than his game. Anyway, I'm sure I'm going to get some haters. I'm not saying that this is a problem. Just saying that personally I've never been a fan of ppl who have a tremendous sense of vanity and it turns me off a bit. Obviously this does not affect his ability to play.

Go to http://www.wikipedia.org and search for "Roger Federer". He seems to be enjoying his capuccino. =)

Interestingly enough I just searched for "Federer" and the picture is much more normal.

Chang
12-05-2007, 03:23 PM
I don't know, I guess some players like to show their life beyond tennis.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
What is wrong with the picture? :confused::confused:

Would you rather the rugged, homeless look? I tell you, the off season brings out the best out of a lot of us.

Federer's pet goat Leanne
12-05-2007, 03:29 PM
somebody changed it back to the old one. I didn't think the coffee one looked bad, but it was kinda over the top

and it's not Federer who updates his page on Wikipedia lol...

or is it....?

veritech
12-05-2007, 03:31 PM
somebody changed it back to the old one. I didn't think the coffee one looked bad, but it was kinda over the top

you have to actually click the link above and type 'roger federer' to get a new picture.

speaking as a photographer, that's a really slick picture.

12-05-2007, 03:40 PM
you have to actually click the link above and type 'roger federer' to get a new picture.

speaking as a photographer, that's a really slick picture.

well, I checked the history of the page and it said somebody changed it back to the red sweater one.

Tennis-Chris
12-05-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm a big Federer fan. Always will be. He has a beautiful game, plays with style and carries himself with style. BUT, the new main pic of him on Wikipedia is too much. It almost seems like he cares more about his fashion sense than his game. Anyway, I'm sure I'm going to get some haters. I'm not saying that this is a problem. Just saying that personally I've never been a fan of ppl who have a tremendous sense of vanity and it turns me off a bit. Obviously this does not affect his ability to play.

Go to http://www.wikipedia.org and search for "Roger Federer". He seems to be enjoying his capuccino. =)

Interestingly enough I just searched for "Federer" and the picture is much more normal.

I thought it was a great picture. What's the problem with someone wanting a nice picture of him/herself posted for the world to see? :mrgreen:

RoddickistheMan
12-05-2007, 03:53 PM
wow. That has nothing to do with tennis at all. IS that pic really necessary. Ha
________
Review Vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/)

CyBorg
12-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Whoever updates Roger's profile on wiki is totally in love with the current picture. Every now and then someone changes it and then we're back to the old one in a matter of hours.

tennisfan_23
12-05-2007, 03:55 PM
A couple of problems with your argument, wangs 78.

1. It's not like it's HIS choice to put that picture there. Whoever does the Wikipedia page used it.
2. The picture, I believe, was done as an advertisement for a Swiss coffee company (I think it's called Jura).
3. If he REALLY cared more about his vanity than his game, he would not be #1 and I'm sure he would choose modelling or something. Obviously, this isn't the case 'cause he's the best tennis player in the world.

lol

wangs78
12-05-2007, 04:06 PM
1. It's not like it's HIS choice to put that picture there. Whoever does the Wikipedia page used it.

True, but of all the tennis players, or all globally recognized athletes in fact, I see Roger dressed impeccably more often than anyone. Again, nothing wrong with at all! It just may come off as a bit pretentious. Perhaps a more defensible statement is "Roger's vanity creates a greater likelihood that ppl will view him as being somewhat pretentious"

2. The picture, I believe, was done as an advertisement for a Swiss coffee company (I think it's called Jura).

I've never seen a coffee commercial that seemed to be making a fashion statement. Maybe it was the coffee company calling the shots for this commercial, but I'm willing to bet that Roger was happy to do this commercial in particular bc it made him look very stylish yet again.

3. If he REALLY cared more about his vanity than his game, he would not be #1 and I'm sure he would choose modelling or something. Obviously, this isn't the case 'cause he's the best tennis player in the world.

Yes, and I did say that this doesn't affect his game, didn't I? He's number 1 in the world and I'm a big fan of his.
lol

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-05-2007, 04:12 PM
True, but of all the tennis players, or all globally recognized athletes in fact, I see Roger dressed impeccably more often than anyone. Again, nothing wrong with at all! It just may come off as a bit pretentious. Perhaps a more defensible statement is "Roger's vanity creates a greater likelihood that ppl will view him as being somewhat pretentious"

So what if he is viewed as pretentious or pompous? I personally see nothing wrong with the picture, but he is a public figure, so being judged is part of the game.

Now since we are on the subject, there are two different pages on Wikipedia, with two different pics. If tennis is perceived as not a manly sport, it isn't due to this picture.

tennisfan_23
12-05-2007, 04:17 PM

I'll agree with this, he is definitely better dressed than many other players. I think a reason for this is because Roger is actually into fashion. But if you're going to take a look at that Wiki picture as reference, then one can argue that he didn't pick that set of clothes out; the coffee company did. You have to realize that PR is a huge thing behind every celebrity and managers, advertisers, etc. will go out of their way to make sure that he looks good. If you look at any other off-court pics of Roger besides him attending dinners/ceremonies, he doesn't ever wear a suit or anything extremely stylish. But yeah, I guess he does pay a little more attention than the other players, but it's how one perceives him, and if you believe more of what he says and others say about him, then the image he presents shouldn't indicate that he's pretentious at all.
----

I've never seen a coffee commercial that seemed to be making a fashion statement. Maybe it was the coffee company calling the shots for this commercial, but I'm willing to bet that Roger was happy to do this commercial in particular bc it made him look very stylish yet again.

haha, I'm sure he must've been happy. (: I'd be happy too, if someone could make me look good on camera!
----

Yes, and I did say that this doesn't affect his game, didn't I? He's number 1 in the world and I'm a big fan of his.
lol

Yep, true. I just think that there's a lot going on behind the scenes in regards to what he wears, and as a big fan of his, I would never say that he gives any hint of being pretentious. He's a very gracious and humble player who just dresses well. (;

TENNIS_IS_FUN
12-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Well, i for one agree with the OP. The coffee picture definately wont help increase the popular of tennis. The only thing that it'll do is increase the already preconcieved notion that tennis is not a 'man' sport.

tennisfan_23
12-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Well, i for one agree with the OP. The coffee picture definately wont help increase the popular of tennis. The only thing that it'll do is increase the already preconcieved notion that tennis is not a 'man' sport.

That has nothing to do with promoting tennis. First off, if people aren't interested in tennis in the first place, they wouldn't even know who Roger Federer is. If they're not going to like tennis, they won't like it whether you show a snarling chupacabra wielding a tennis racquet or a teddy bear holding a tennis ball.

Secondly, in what way is drinking coffee not "manly"?

I think that the picture does nothing but promote coffee, not tennis. Hence, using a well-known TENNIS player to advertise their coffee.

wangs78
12-05-2007, 05:04 PM
That has nothing to do with promoting tennis. First off, if people aren't interested in tennis in the first place, they wouldn't even know who Roger Federer is. If they're not going to like tennis, they won't like it whether you show a snarling chupacabra wielding a tennis racquet or a teddy bear holding a tennis ball.

Secondly, in what way is drinking coffee not "manly"?

I think that the picture does nothing but promote coffee, not tennis. Hence, using a well-known TENNIS player to advertise their coffee.

Tennis fan, you're oversimplifying. You're assuming that everyone out there thinks the way you do and would not see this ad and be turned off toward tennis. There are plenty of ppl who may recognize Roger Federer and not everyone of them is already a tennis fan or an avid tennis player. And *I* for one am somewhat turned off by the add. Are there other ppl out there that think as I do? Absolutely! Does everyone out there think like me? Absolutely not! So pls recognize that just bc you are not turned off by the ad doesn't mean other ppl aren't. Peace.

tennisfan_23
12-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Tennis fan, you're oversimplifying. You're assuming that everyone out there thinks the way you do and would not see this ad and be turned off toward tennis. There are plenty of ppl who may recognize Roger Federer and not everyone of them is already a tennis fan or an avid tennis player. And *I* for one am somewhat turned off by the add. Are there other ppl out there that think as I do? Absolutely! Does everyone out there think like me? Absolutely not! So pls recognize that just bc you are not turned off by the ad doesn't mean other ppl aren't. Peace.

I admit that I might be oversimplifying it a bit, but don't you think that it's more judgmental to say that (and again, I know you're a Fed fan, so relax) Roger seems pretentious just by one picture for a coffee company that he might not have had control over?

I respect your opinions dude, and I really mean for this to be a debate more than an argument. I definitely see some of your points, and I agree that Fed does dress better simply because fashion is apparently one of his hobbies.

As for people being turned off by the ad, I'm sure people might be. I just don't agree with the reasons if you're going to break it down into a rational thing. Besides, it's a *classy* coffee company, so I guess that they purposely decided to make Fed seem a little pretentious, if anything. :P

malakas
12-05-2007, 05:18 PM
When there are threads like that in General Pro you just know that it's the off-season.:roll:

As Meac said it isn't that picture the reason why tennis isn't popular.:rolleyes:

Fedexeon
12-05-2007, 05:20 PM
He's not even the one who put that picture in his own wiki page.. Haha.

calendarslam
12-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I say take two aspirins and call your doctor in the morning. Breaking out in a cold sweat may be a sign of exhaustion.

12-05-2007, 05:37 PM
So dressing up in a suit is considered unmanly these days?
I better go naked all the time then.

RoddickistheMan
12-05-2007, 05:40 PM
I like how federer has just finished one cappuchino and is getting ready to chug down another one. Someone is a starbucks *****.
________
Genetically Modified Food (http://gmfoods.info/)

tennis_nerd22
12-05-2007, 05:46 PM
i want to see this picture.... lol

wangs78
12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
It looks like the coffee picture has been taken down and replaced with the old photo that shows Roger wearing the red nike sweatshirt.

Our voices have been heard. Democracy lives. =)

Feņa14
12-05-2007, 06:40 PM
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2117/federerer1if5.jpg

That the one?

Breakaz54z
12-05-2007, 08:21 PM
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2117/federerer1if5.jpg

That the one?

Arg, now I want a cappuccino! Arg... I'll just have one before class tomorrow