PDA

View Full Version : anyone worried at all about lead poisoning?


hyogen
12-07-2007, 12:23 AM
My dad's a chemist and he advises to STAY AWAY from the stuff. Says that it's dangerous because heavy metals build up in the body. It doesn't just go away. The tiny amounts of lead that rub off and get on your hands or fingers will find their way to your mouth/foods and will get in your system and keep on building up.

one thing for sure is, none of us ever want to get lead poisoned...maybe we could then dominate special olympics tennis?

your guys' thoughts? I realize that lead tape has been used for decades, but...

origmarm
12-07-2007, 01:23 AM
I reckon that its probably not the best thing for you but it sounds like the danger is being overhyped a tad. Roman Prokes would be screwed if there was danger from modding tennis racquets.

forzainter
12-07-2007, 04:22 AM
I'm lucky they use graphite in pencils now, because i've been stabbed 3 times with a pencil and the lead has been stuck in my skin, if that had been lead, I would have been poisoned, no?

PimpMyGame
12-07-2007, 05:12 AM
If you're worried about lead, use that magnetic strip stuff instead. There is a thread dedicated to it on the board somewhere.

origmarm
12-07-2007, 05:20 AM
Wikipedia:
"A May 2000 study by economic consultant Rick Nevin theorizes that lead exposure explains 65% to 90% of the variation in violent crime rates in the U.S.[11][12]. A July 2007 paper by the same author claims to show a strong association between preschool blood lead and subsequent crime rate trends over several decades across nine different countries". :shock:

My understanding is that the overwhelming majority of lead poisoning cases in the developed world are young children and that you would have to injest (a common cause is paint chips from old lead paint in houses or lately Chinese toys, injesting soil etc...), or inhale (usually industrial related, refitting old houses (i.e. sanding walls with lead paint for example) the lead. You can get poisoned through dermal contact but I think the amounts involved are very heavy (i.e miners and smelters).

That said per this article:
http://www.sbcphd.org/family/lead/faqs.html
Lead poisoning is the number one environmental health risk for children today. 1 in 6 children apparently have toxic levels of lead in their blood. Sounds like rubbish to me...but..
They have an information number and everything 800-LEAD-FYI

Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

max
12-07-2007, 06:07 AM
You would have to ingest a CONSIDERABLE amount of lead. Two years ago, I visited Mineral Point, Wisconsin, which is in the old Galena lead district. Miners would turn blue after a time in the mines, after ingesting lots of dust, etc. In that period, the 1850s-60s, they thought bathing in milk would help. But I think that tells you something: unless you're swimming around in lead dust, egregiously ingesting, a couple of touches to a small strip of lead a week ain't going to dent you.

max
12-07-2007, 06:08 AM
origmarm: you'd be interested to know a lot of those miners were Cornish! And a restaurant in town still serves pasties.

PimpMyGame
12-07-2007, 06:46 AM
Wikipedia:
"A May 2000 study by economic consultant Rick Nevin theorizes that lead exposure explains 65% to 90% of the variation in violent crime rates in the U.S.[11][12]. A July 2007 paper by the same author claims to show a strong association between preschool blood lead and subsequent crime rate trends over several decades across nine different countries". :shock:

My understanding is that the overwhelming majority of lead poisoning cases in the developed world are young children and that you would have to injest (a common cause is paint chips from old lead paint in houses or lately Chinese toys, injesting soil etc...), or inhale (usually industrial related, refitting old houses (i.e. sanding walls with lead paint for example) the lead. You can get poisoned through dermal contact but I think the amounts involved are very heavy (i.e miners and smelters).

That said per this article:
http://www.sbcphd.org/family/lead/faqs.html
Lead poisoning is the number one environmental health risk for children today. 1 in 6 children apparently have toxic levels of lead in their blood. Sounds like rubbish to me...but..
They have an information number and everything 800-LEAD-FYI

Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

Just ask anyone from Mattel what the costs of recalling toy cars were, after the lead scare this year. I met someone who knows, and he wasn't prepared to say how much but it's a pretty scary number.

You can only come to the conclusion that there would be a significant health risk associated with these toys.

origmarm
12-07-2007, 06:52 AM
origmarm: you'd be interested to know a lot of those miners were Cornish! And a restaurant in town still serves pasties.

Nice! Pasties in Wisconsin!

Are they any good?