PDA

View Full Version : Players/Draws Databases

Nickognito
12-07-2007, 02:39 AM
I don't know if I can open a thread like this.

Anyway, I think that in order to improve our statistical knowledge of recent and old tennis, the best thing is to have a database with all the available results.

(in access, excel, whatever..)

So, I'm wondering if someone already has it, or, since this would be a titanic work, if someone wants to make it. Maybe we can divide the task.

Or maybe you know when i can buy such a database...

I think that it would be a great effort not only for me, but for the benefit of all forum and all people interested in doing statistics about tennis. It would be great to make it available in a website.

Thanks for your help,

c.

urban
12-07-2007, 05:04 AM
For a first step: Mix the ATP with the ITF webside dates of the early open era, and you get a first picture. Then go to a library with the World of tennis yearbooks by Jahn Barrett from 1968 onwards, and put the missing dates in the database of step 1. A Guy named Hops has a good database for the majors draws since 1968 on the internet.

10isDad
12-07-2007, 06:18 AM
Or maybe you know when i can buy such a database...

Do a search for a software program called OnCourt. Not sure if this will meet your needs, but it's a massive database containing ATP matches for many, many years. There's a 15-day free trial and it's $50 to buy.

OnCourt description
A searchable database of tennis player and tournament facts

The Internet has brought to us the ability to obtain fresh news from numerous tennis-related Web sites. Using OnCourt you will find the latest news in Tennis world.

However, it's hard even for a sports journalist to navigate through this ocean of information, especially if you need to get historical data.

It [OnCourt] automatically downloads updates available on a daily basis and allows you to always stay tuned. If you wish, you can even track the locations of your favorite players on a map.

Here are some key features of "OnCourt":

Obtaining statistical data on any tennis player, the history of his games on courts with various surfaces, at the tournaments of various levels, his current position in the ranking list, the win and loss percentage in tie-breakers, finals, semi-finals, three and five-set matches, the players specialization, his ascendant and current biorhythms and lots of other information;
Obtaining information on the results of any tennis tournament either as a table or as a tournament draw;
Obtaining the comparative statistics and histories of the head-to-head matches of two players, including the scores and totals of certain matches and the total set and game scores of all their meetings;
Obtaining statistical predictions for forthcoming matches;
The possibility of exporting the data into Microsoft Excel keeping the original colors which allows the data to be saved in a file, converted into some other format or printed out or be e-mailed;
Daily on-line database updates make sure that you are always well informed with the results of the latest matches played and the important data for the analysis of the forthcoming matches.

Nickognito
12-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Thanks for your help.

I know I can find everything in the atp website, but the problem is to be able to work with the data, and i would need an excel, or access or other kind of file.

I'm trying the evaluation version of On Court, but I only have the database of 2007 players. I wrote to them to know if it's possible to have others, but i did not receive any answer yet.

Anyway, I appreciated your contribution

Regards
c.