PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Masters Games-Are you playing?

richie65
12-07-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm trying to decide if I should play in these games, but I'm concerned with the competion level. Will a solid 5.0 be able to compete in their respective age category? I'll be 43 at the time of the games.

dr_punk
12-07-2007, 09:23 AM
whatchuatalkinboutwillis'

Jack the Hack
12-07-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm trying to decide if I should play in these games, but I'm concerned with the competion level. Will a solid 5.0 be able to compete in their respective age category? I'll be 43 at the time of the games.

I think a 5.0 should be able to compete exceptionally well in this event. Since there is no prize money (that I am aware of), the World Masters Games does not attract the big names. The past draws that I have seen have not been very large either.

There is a married couple that plays at my club who has won the mixed doubles gold medal at this event for the past three times (in Oregon, Australia, and Canada). It's in one of the age groups, like "over 50" or "over 55", but the medals were nice regardless. The coolest thing they've said is that the finals they played at the Melbourne Games was held inside Rod Laver area (where the Australian Open is played). Anyway, both of these folks are rated 4.0 at the moment, but may have been 4.5s at the time they won.

I've thought about playing the '09 Masters Games myself because I've always wanted to travel to Australia (and it would be great to play some tennis when I'm there). However, I think if I'm going to fly that far and spend that kind of money, I would rather go to the Australian Open and watch the real players compete.