PDA

View Full Version : Now PatMac has a title. Will he finally leave us alone

KANZA
12-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Through the many years of failure, I always knew PatMac would never be fired as Davis Cup capt. because he's John's younger brother. The guy was just holding the team hostage. Upset PatMac, and you upset the elder John and you cannot have that if you are the USTA. He's too important to the organization. So now PatMac has a title, will he finally go away? I would think that we could win a few more titles with him out of the way. I don't think he'll leave. His only popularity is being on TV, and the only reason people like ESPN want him on TV is because he's an insider as Davis Cup captain. Any ideas on replacements?

Fee
12-07-2007, 06:22 PM
He has one more year on his contract. There is no reason to replace him, he has done exactly as expected with the team/players he has had. The only blip was the loss to Croatia at home a few years ago.

Courier has said that he would be interested if PMac stepped down in a few years, but he seems far too busy right now to take the job.

ElSuegro
12-07-2007, 06:32 PM
It seems like John wasn't able to get the committments from Agassi and Sampras many times. Without those two or a top doubles team, USA had no chance, and John finally quit in frustration. Now that we have two of the top singles players and the top doubles team, it was almost a sure thing. Maybe Pat was better at convincing our top guys to play, but other than that, I think the captain should not receive much credit for the win. Pat has probably done a fine job, and I hope he stays around for a while, but any other captain probably also would have won with the talent he had to work with. Maybe Agassi or Gilbert would be a candidate when Pat is ready to move on. Hasn't the Russian captain Tarpischev been there 28 years or so?

djsiva
12-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Talk about shamelessly using family connections!

Patrick seems to come to mind here!!

How did he get into Stanford? Doesn't take a genius to put two and two together! Did really have much brains. Of course he could play tennis, but he surely wasn't the best. Whenever I think Pat McEnroe I think Dan Qualye. As the late Senator Bentson said "He is No Jack Kennedy" Same with Pat, he's no John McEnroe. Actually he is not fit to tie Jimmy Arias shoelaces.

50 years from now he'll just be known as John's younger brother, he probably won't even be remembered. His Wiki reference will probably disappear.

Vitaly Evchenkov
12-07-2007, 09:06 PM
P-Mac rules!!!

THE DROPPER!!!
HELLO!!!

I think he has been cutting back on the catch phrases due to the hate-mail... but I miss them. I often put in my own HELLO after a passing shot on TV.

pj80
12-08-2007, 06:44 AM
P-Mac rules!!!

THE DROPPER!!!
HELLO!!!

I think he has been cutting back on the catch phrases due to the hate-mail... but I miss them. I often put in my own HELLO after a passing shot on TV.

heres one for you my friend....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIPB0iICQa8&feature=related

Vitaly Evchenkov
12-08-2007, 08:48 AM
ooh... the DOUBLE HELLO!!!!

nice!

thanks for the vid. go P-MAC!

KANZA
12-08-2007, 10:48 AM
What about Chang or Brad Gilbert? Are they interested?

Fee
12-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Do you really think the USTA is going to hire someone that their players may not want to work with?

FedForGOAT
12-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Why do you people hate PMac so much? I don't think the team would have done any better with JMac as the coach.

tangerine
12-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Patrick has been a great coach for this team, I think most intelligent people can see that. :) I also enjoy his commentating for ESPN.

Jim Courier might be a good DC coach one day but I see no reason why the USTA would replace PMac anytime soon.

Here's a very good article on PMac which gives good insight as to why Patrick has been a successful DC captain which John was not:

Patrick McEnroe has quietly become a renaissance man
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2007-11-26-patrick-mcenroe-cover_N.htm

djsiva
12-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Let me be the first to say this. James Blake will be Davis Cup Captain in the future.

They usually pick players especially nowadays that suck!

iradical18
12-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Let me be the first to say this. James Blake will be Davis Cup Captain in the future.

They usually pick players especially nowadays that suck!

Thats odd, I wasn't aware that James Blake sucked.