PDA

View Full Version : How often do you see a player get a standing ovation after losing a point

laurie
12-08-2007, 02:48 AM
It happens in this game, the 2nd point in the game, the most incredible point and certainly deserves a standing ovation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHeBOYAek6o

federerfanatic
12-08-2007, 12:25 PM
That was an amazing point by Sampras to even stay in it.

However as far as this thread title I remember also well the 30-15 point at 4-5 Graf serving of the amazing 1995 Wimbledon final between Graf and Sanchez Vicario. Sanchez Vicario made amazing get after amazing get with Graf at the net to stay in it, until Graf finally volleyed it away. ASV got a standing ovation after that point too. I wish it was on youtube as well.

Nickognito
12-08-2007, 12:52 PM
the first set of Sampras in 1999 ATP finals is maybe the most devastating thing I 've ever seen in tennis. 1999 Wimbledon final was better, but, in a way, sweeter. That one was very very impressive by Pete. Other players have done it, but not with such an opponent in an important Final. Federer in 2003 Masters Cup with Agassi, but in 1999 Agassi was at his career best and n.1 in the world. Lendl and McEnroe, but, simply , it was a different era, less powerful, in a way. So it's not maybe the best set ever, but for me the most devastating and impressive. (another one was Atp finals vs Kafelnikov, or Federer with Blake in Masters cup too or with Roddick in Melbourne, but Agassi in 1999 was one of the best player ever, it was different)

c.

superman1
12-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Sampras was f'ing ridiculous when he was playing at his best. Screw those peak DOT rankings - within a match, when it mattered most, no one peaked higher than Sampras. To Agassi's dismay, Sampras seemed to come out firing on all cylinders when they played.

Nickognito
12-08-2007, 04:32 PM
there's always something unrankable

The most beautiful characteristic of contemporary philosophy and science is that they know to be very limited.

Every mathematical ranking has limits. The problem is not in the ranking, but in people who pretend they are or have to be perfect. If there's something perfect, it's surely beyond reason ..

Nothing against you :)

Thank you Laurie, your video are always wonderful. I hope that Federer in his late career , with a less strong body, will develop a more offensive way of play, like Sampras did in 1999.
High-percentage tennis is the best to win, not always the best to watch, in my opinion.

c.

Gorecki
12-09-2007, 02:38 AM
My considerations on this thread:

as far as the title, i would say Agassi's retirement is by far (i guess...) the biggest ovation a tennis match has ever seen after losing a point...

the point itself, i assume you refere the one with andre serving that sampras loses with a running forehand coming out wide? it is a impressive change of pace on a Agassi vs Sampras Match... agassi placing balls and Pete wacking them back.... :)

ps: that girl's hair cut... roflpmp

zagor
12-09-2007, 03:01 AM
Sampras was always amazing when playing his best,but IMO while he did play great in 1999 ATP final (to win a set 6-1 against a player of Agassi's caliber in his best year is really something) I was more impressed with Pete in 1999 Wimbledon final because I felt Agassi played his best there and still Sampras made him look like a spectator.The result at Wimbledon final 1999 could have been even more in favor of Sampras because he had a double break point against Agassi at 3-1 in the second set so it could have been 6-2.The Sampras match which is also one of my favourites was Davis Cup in 1997 against Rafter.Sampras returns and passing shots were sick in that match and he really should have won that first set,I mean he barely lost a point on his serve and Rafter was always in trouble on his but Rafter showed a lot of heart saving all those breakpoints and than turning the tiebreak around.I really miss Rafter,Sampras and Becker.

superman1
12-09-2007, 05:41 PM
After this match he lost to Agassi three times in a row, he lost 5 sets in a row in their last two matches (6, 5, 1, 4, 2). He got his butt kicked by Safin and Hewitt at the US Open (though he was probably drained against Hewitt after having beaten Agassi in an epic match and Safin in the semis). Lost to Federer at Wimbledon. Everyone writes him off in 2002 after Wimbledon, then he gets ****ed off and goes and wins the US Open.

I don't think there's any doubt that he got sick of tennis and still had several good years left if he had committed himself.