PDA

View Full Version : Hit with the Diablo mid and mid + today

Morpheus
03-20-2004, 11:07 AM
I had a chance to demo the mid and mid+. I found the mid to be too heavy for me. It weighed in at 12.3 oz and I would need more time to really know if it was for me. It was very solid, however, but felt a little stiff. The strings were quite tight, though, so that may have had something to do with the harshness.

The mid+, on the other hand, was sweet. I've never played better. It's light (~11.3) and flexible with a big sweetspot. The string pattern is slightly more open than the mid because of the 100si face and that helped my serve. I had great control, big serves, solid groundies, and a wonderful volley. I beat my 4.5 opponent 6-2, 6-0. It was that good.

My order is in!

chance
03-20-2004, 07:34 PM
Long time POG user (since 80s) demoing the Diablo mid. Given the similarity of their specs, these two sticks play completely different. The Diablo plays heavier and stiffer (maybe boxier) than its cousin and it's 19mm hoop feels bigger and sweet spot smaller--I either hit the ball pure or felt/found the frame during the stroke. Given the Diablo's tighter string pattern, found less spin. In fact, a lot less spin than I was expecting given a western forehand and long loopy strokes. Backhand slice, however, was much tighter and pleasing especially on approach. But what makes the Diablo the schtick is that this racquet is a 93 inch cannon w/ exceptional control. Amazing amount of pop and this held true and in best on return of serve (even blocked shots seemed to have seeing eyes for the baseline) and forehands drawn wide on the run--not only could I get the shot back in play but was able to return it w/ pace and depth that neutralized my foes advantage. Serve and S&V went just like the review. This may be heresy, but plays like a cross b/t the best attributes of PS and POG lines. Like to know what other POG users think?

Robert Jones
03-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Now that I have mine finally set up that way I like (took a month) I have beat a few guys that use to beat me. I don't beat myself as much. I very rarely hit my forehands long anymore. I choose poorley on my first set of strings and was wondering why I bought it. Now its the racquet I have been looking for. I'm planning on purchasing a second one.

I had a chance to demo the mid and mid+. I found the mid to be too heavy for me. It weighed in at 12.3 oz and I would need more time to really know if it was for me. It was very solid, however, but felt a little stiff. The strings were quite tight, though, so that may have had something to do with the harshness.

The mid+, on the other hand, was sweet. I've never played better. It's light (~11.3) and flexible with a big sweetspot. The string pattern is slightly more open than the mid because of the 100si face and that helped my serve. I had great control, big serves, solid groundies, and a wonderful volley. I beat my 4.5 opponent 6-2, 6-0. It was that good.

My order is in!