PDA

View Full Version : Edburg vs Chang 1992 US Open... S & V Tennis...:-)

SteveI
12-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Hi,

I was just viewing the Edberg/Sampras 1992 US Open Final and they were chating about the semi that Edberg had just come thur vs Chang. I know Edberg used to S and V all the time... but anyone have a guess how many times he came to net in that match?

Regards,
Steve

Opps.... Edberg... not Edburg... sorry Stefan.. :-) Maybe TW.. can Fix this.. :-)

krosero
12-08-2007, 02:07 PM
An interesting question, because it was such a long match. Here's a result from Google News. Did not get the full article.

$2.95 - Buffalo News - NewsBank - Sep 19, 1992
Stefan Edberg's US Open semifinal TENNIS match with Michael Chang on CBS Saturday went 5 ... CBS said Edberg went TO the net 254 times during the match. ...

SteveI
12-08-2007, 02:14 PM
An interesting question, because it was such a long match. Here's a result from Google News. Did not get the full article.

Yes....

254 Times!!! He went to the 800 times before the final.

Regards,
Steve

GS
12-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Sorry, Steve, I just checked and saw that I gave that long match away (on VHS tape). On a brighter note, I found my copy of Agassi's great win over Medvedev in the '99 French final!

SteveI
12-09-2007, 05:22 AM
Sorry, Steve, I just checked and saw that I gave that long match away (on VHS tape). On a brighter note, I found my copy of Agassi's great win over Medvedev in the '99 French final!

GS,

Wow.. I just saw the highlights from the last set of that one the other day. Great stuff.

Steve

Nickognito
12-09-2007, 05:41 AM
I remember that us open. Here in Italy free sport tv became pay-tv and at the moment I could not pay, so I watched all the tournament crypted. It was a torture for my eyes, I could barely see the ball, I was a fool. And so many hours every match ;-)

c.

Moose Malloy
12-10-2007, 10:42 AM
There were 436 total points in the Chang-Edberg match. So Edberg came in on 58% of the points.

In contrast during the Mirnyi-Bagdhatis USO match last year, Mirnyi came in 173 out of the 290 pts played, or 60% of the total pts played.

I'm curious what the highest % of net approaches in a match is. Probably someone like Annacone.

I think the Edberg-Chang match is a little overrated(so many breaks of serve, poor serving by Edberg, both players admitted it wasn't great tennis afterwards, just a really close match)

Score was 6-7(3) 7-5 7-6(3) 5-7 6-4, match was 5:30, longest match in USO history.

Both players blew chances to make this match go a lot quicker. Chang was up 5-2 in the 1st & 5-3 in the 4th. Edberg was up 5-2 in the 2nd & 3rd sets.

Chang was up 3-0 & 4-2 in the 5th.

As of 6-5 in the 4th, Chang had been in 58 times(from the CBS broadcast)

Federer came in only 54 times total in his semi & final matches at the Open last year.

SteveI
12-10-2007, 12:48 PM
There were 436 total points in the Chang-Edberg match. So Edberg came in on 58% of the points.

In contrast during the Mirnyi-Bagdhatis USO match last year, Mirnyi came in 173 out of the 290 pts played, or 60% of the total pts played.

I'm curious what the highest % of net approaches in a match is. Probably someone like Annacone.

I think the Edberg-Chang match is a little overrated(so many breaks of serve, poor serving by Edberg, both players admitted it wasn't great tennis afterwards, just a really close match)

Score was 6-7(3) 7-5 7-6(3) 5-7 6-4, match was 5:30, longest match in USO history.

Both players blew chances to make this match go a lot quicker. Chang was up 5-2 in the 1st & 5-3 in the 4th. Edberg was up 5-2 in the 2nd & 3rd sets.

Chang was up 3-0 & 4-2 in the 5th.

As of 6-5 in the 4th, Chang had been in 58 times(from the CBS broadcast)

Federer came in only 54 times total in his semi & final matches at the Open last year.

Hi,

Annacone or Edberg, Rafter...would be my guesses. Great stuff MM..I really miss S & V tennis and real all-court tennis. The stuff now just does not compare. Two guys or girls blasting away from the baseline. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz.. even at the Big W...Yikes!!!

Regards,
Steve

morten
12-11-2007, 08:12 AM
I agree Steve... sad

stormholloway
12-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Dunno man. It seems like even baseline tennis is of a lower quality. Watching those Wilander-Mecir clips makes me think there is less thought put into baseline rallies. It's all about power now, and now with the new strings, guys are even less afraid to swing to the max.

morten
12-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Also correct stormholloway! less brain and finesse, less crafty players left... :(

andreh
12-12-2007, 02:55 AM

I have the match on DVD and I agree. It's exciting because it's close and it has a few highlights of inspired play. But generally the play is of low quality. Particularly from Edberg who played horrendeously at times. (He even bounces an easy high forehand volley into his own court like a beginner at one point.)

The match Edberg and Chang played the previous year where Edberg prevailed in 3 close sets, is much, much better.

bluetrain4
12-12-2007, 12:04 PM
That was Edberg's last slam and the year where he went 5 sets with Krajicek in the 4th Rnd, 5 sets with Lendl in the QFs and then the Chang match, before beating Sampras in 4 in the final. I can see why he played bad against Chang considering all the tennis he had played, and it's impressive that he coudl rebound and beat Sampras in the final.

Champions win even when they are not playing well. The Edberg-Chang match is a good example.

Legend of Borg
12-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Finally more reasonable people agree with me. I miss the Serve and Volley game because of its finesse, and touch. Nowadays? No more. Some guy going Hulk mode on the ball for 10 minutes. Very boring. Unfortunately, no serve and volleyer would succeed in current days. Too much pace and power on the ball. He would need to have exceptional instinct and reflexes to handle a 120mph. forehand. Thats just too bad.

CyBorg
12-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Finally more reasonable people agree with me. I miss the Serve and Volley game because of its finesse, and touch. Nowadays? No more. Some guy going Hulk mode on the ball for 10 minutes. Very boring. Unfortunately, no serve and volleyer would succeed in current days. Too much pace and power on the ball. He would need to have exceptional instinct and reflexes to handle a 120mph. forehand. Thats just too bad.

I partly agree, but I think that serve and volley gets too much credit.

I actually don't miss serve and volley as much as some people. Sometimes I do, but at times it was boring to watch. What I loved most was clay court tennis around the mid 1980s. It was true art and there was hardly any serve and volley, save for the occasional Yannick Noah match (and I didn't like watching him play at all). Noah had ugly strokes and what I liked was to watch that prototypical exchange of groundstrokes that was so beautiful to behold in the early days of graphite where guys hit with just a touch more power than before but still relied on topspin. And every guy had a style that stood out - either a nifty backhand or a wicked forehand could be marvelled at. And you could appreciate it so much more because the rallies were long and guys took more time winding up.

To me that groundies are the art. Volleys can be the icing on the cake, but not at the expense of the baseline game.