PDA

View Full Version : New Iphone

DashaandSafin
12-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Should I wait for the new Iphone to come out? My phone right now is broken =(.

TokyopunK
12-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Where do you live? The iPhone has been out for a long time???

fed_the_savior
12-09-2007, 01:24 PM
i think he means the next version of iphone?

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Should I wait for the new Iphone to come out? My phone right now is broken =(.

The next version should be released late next month, I think. If you can hold off that long then you should get it.

Lakoste
12-09-2007, 02:48 PM
The next version should be released late next month, I think. If you can hold off that long then you should get it.

Source?

I don't see Apple giving the iPhone a major update anytime soon, maybe increase the flash memory to 16GB, but thats it.

soggyramen
12-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Source?

I don't see Apple giving the iPhone a major update anytime soon, maybe increase the flash memory to 16GB, but thats it.

apples been talking bout a new iphone for longest since 2 weeks after the iphone came out. that's one of the reasons of the quick price drop

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Source?

Don't have one, but I was at my local cell phone provider, I was considering getting one, but she told me that there is a new version coming next next year/month. Maybe, an increase in flash memory, but I don't know. Please don't quote me, because I have no idea what the new version will have.

Lakoste
12-09-2007, 03:03 PM
apples been talking bout a new iphone for longest since 2 weeks after the iphone came out. that's one of the reasons of the quick price drop

Hmmmm.... Apple has been saying a new iPhone will be coming out? I can imagine that will be great for current iPhone sales...not!

Just because bogus rumor sites say it is true doesn't mean it is true.

soggyramen
12-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Hmmmm.... Apple has been saying a new iPhone will be coming out? I can imagine that will be great for current iPhone sales...not!

Just because bogus rumor sites say it is true doesn't mean it is true.

whatever dude it's been on tv as well CNN had a story on it and how all the people were ****ed of that apple's been in the works for a new version after all their stupid tails sat in line for a gazillion hours and there was a price drop afterwards all to be slapped in the face with a new version. whether you wanna believe it or not a new one will come out, i never specified a time whether its next month or next year it'll happen that's just business.

fed_the_savior
12-09-2007, 03:28 PM
nerd tax, lol

dr_punk
12-09-2007, 06:03 PM
yeah you should wait - 3rd party app. compatibility and 3G should be coming soon

rommil
12-09-2007, 07:40 PM
^ Yeah I thought it was the 3G that is going to be the new feature.

DashaandSafin
12-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Yep thats what Im going to waiting for. 3G connection. Any idea when that will be coming out?

dr_punk
12-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Yep thats what Im going to waiting for. 3G connection. Any idea when that will be coming out?

No, just speculations - I would expect 2nd quarter next year, but I'd check places like appleinsider.com or digg.com, just in case people post it up

Leelord337
12-09-2007, 10:29 PM
i heard the iphone actually sux when used as a cell phone, can't hear the people talking...etc...

Sanyi
12-10-2007, 04:21 AM
apples been talking bout a new iphone for longest since 2 weeks after the iphone came out. that's one of the reasons of the quick price dropno, because it didn't sell nearly as well as predicted

dr_punk
12-10-2007, 04:31 AM
no, because it didn't sell nearly as well as predicted

true. looks like you took economics

crosscourt
12-10-2007, 04:49 AM
i heard the iphone actually sux when used as a cell phone, can't hear the people talking...etc...

That sounds like my last Nokia. Only good for taking photographs.

The problem that I encounter with the iPhone is that the keyboard isn't very accurate.

DashaandSafin
12-10-2007, 06:54 AM
That sounds like my last Nokia. Only good for taking photographs.

The problem that I encounter with the iPhone is that the keyboard isn't very accurate.

The Nokia N45 or whatever? The new one over the summer that was around 500 and had a 5 mp camera? That thing was feature packed butlooked like a brick imo

Fedfan4life
12-10-2007, 08:04 AM

I hope they would put a 3G radio on the new iphone. But Steve Jobs is always saying that 3G will drain the battery on the iphone rather quickly. Honestly, my iphone over EDGE network is fine for me. If you wandering about a release date, if Apple did bring out a new Iphone in Macworld this January. It would take 6 months to get it pass by the FCC, so you would be expecting it in stores in June just like when they release the first Iphone. The new Iphone would probably be the same price of $399.

I really hope that they would need to invent is a higher capacity rechargeable battery for electronics these days.

Sanyi
12-10-2007, 08:18 AM
true. looks like you took economicsonly in the 10th grade. It's a very basic concept, I don't think a person would need to take economics at all to make the conclusion

Fedfan4life
12-10-2007, 08:18 AM
no, because it didn't sell nearly as well as predicted

Those sales predictions you've read is probably false because in fact. The Iphone has sold more in its first year than the first Ipod. They sold 1.4 million iphones in a quarter year compare to 2 years it took the first Ipod to reach that number. Also added the profit they've made manufacturing the Iphone, seen here: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/iphone-only-costs-250-to-make-rest-of-price-is-fanboy-tax-229664.php

and the contract they have with AT&T that Apple receives $18 every month from every AT&T Iphone user who has signed up for the unlimited data plan. So it feels pretty good to be Steve Jobs right now.

Sanyi
12-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Those sales predictions you've read is probably false because in fact. The Iphone has sold more in its first year than the first Ipod. They sold 1.4 million iphones in a quarter year compare to 2 years it took the first Ipod to reach that number. Also added the profit they've made manufacturing the Iphone, seen here: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/iphone-only-costs-250-to-make-rest-of-price-is-fanboy-tax-229664.php

and the contract they have with AT&T that Apple receives $18 every month from every AT&T Iphone user who has signed up for the unlimited data plan. So it feels pretty good to be Steve Jobs right now.1st iPod, Steve B Jobs blah blah blah.

just be direct and tell me why the price dropped very soon and the phone didn't sell out as predicted

Fedfan4life
12-10-2007, 08:41 AM
1st iPod, Steve B Jobs blah blah blah.

just be direct and tell me why the price dropped very soon and the phone didn't sell out as predicted

Exactly what's your definition of "Sell out". Do you mean sold out?

About the price drop of $200 after 2 months, if you want an honest answer ask Apple about it because no one else but Apple have the right answer, everything else is speculations. All Apple will tell you is that old song and dance "technology get cheaper" speech. My opinion is they've made a mistake on pricing and took advantage of early adopters. The Iphone is overpriced in the first place anyway, but people still bought it (sold out for a while) and some made money selling it on Fleabay. Apple did credit the early adopters of $100 and an apology from Jobs himself.

movdqa
12-10-2007, 11:01 AM
The iPod Touch comes in 8/16 GB so an upgrade could add flash memory.

New computers are more likely for MacWorld in January. Intel is launching mainstream Penryn chips in early January and it would make the most sense to upgrade the iMac and MacBooks with the new mobile chips and the Mac Pro with the latest 45 nm Xeons. Any combination of these would be a pretty big launch so Apple should have their hands full launching refreshed computers. There are additional technologies out there that they could use like SSDs and LED backlit flat panels.

Intel has a new chip called Silverthorne that will be usable in phones but I don't expect it to launch until the summer at the earliest. This chip is an x86 chip that uses very little power so it's possible that Apple will use this chip in a future iPhone that will also run Mac OSX. We should have very small devices in the future that will run Windows too.

CGMemphis
12-10-2007, 11:21 AM
yeah you should wait - 3rd party app. compatibility and 3G should be coming soon

This is around the corner, wait.

Docalex007
12-10-2007, 03:22 PM
1st iPod, Steve B Jobs blah blah blah.

The price dropped because it was OVERpriced. They did this on purpose, duh. They're just taking advantage of eager buyers willing to pay a ridiculous price for the apple logo. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone, but it was overpriced for a reason..

That being said, Apple does not intend to sell "too many" iPhones as they don't want to dilute the market with their phones. The whole point is keeping the iPhone's status as a luxury item alive.

Get with it please... go take a marketing class 101 at your local university.

Fedfan4life
12-10-2007, 06:13 PM
The price dropped because it was OVERpriced. They did this on purpose, duh. They're just taking advantage of eager buyers willing to pay a ridiculous price for the apple logo. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone, but it was overpriced for a reason..

That being said, Apple does not intend to sell "too many" iPhones as they don't want to dilute the market with their phones. The whole point is keeping the iPhone's status as a luxury item alive.

Get with it please... go take a marketing class 101 at your local university.

Some people just don't get it tho, no matter how many classes they take.

StealthGnome
12-10-2007, 06:24 PM
If you have money, N95-2. Gets me drooling every time.

Sanyi
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM

Get with it please... go take a marketing class 101 at your local university.contradict yourself much asshat?

Basics of the basics: The iPhone didn't sell nearly as well as everyone was predicting so they lowered the price. Do you think if the iPhone continued to sell well, continued to fly off the shelves, they would've lowered the price? I dare you to say yes.

and fadfan4life, do you think Apple gave back the customers $100 because they're a benevolent corp, out to make the whole world happy with lollipop lanes and chocolate rain? Wake up and smell the whiskey for god's sake

Forget economics classes; slow down, Go back to elementary school you 2. You can do it while holding hands

Docalex007
12-11-2007, 02:25 AM
contradict yourself much asshat?

Basics of the basics: The iPhone didn't sell nearly as well as everyone was predicting so they lowered the price. Do you think if the iPhone continued to sell well, continued to fly off the shelves, they would've lowered the price? I dare you to say yes.

and fadfan4life, do you think Apple gave back the customers $100 because they're a benevolent corp, out to make the whole world happy with lollipop lanes and chocolate rain? Wake up and smell the whiskey for god's sake

Forget economics classes; slow down, Go back to elementary school you 2. You can do it while holding hands

...this coming from a guy who implied that a product's sturdiness is inversely proportional to its weight. :shock: (ie the ipod touch isn't as sturdy because it's too heavy... ha?

First of all, you seem to only know the "basics" of economics as you're completely fooled by Apple's marketing strategy. Although like any company, they're out to make the most amount of money they can, of course - but with a long term strategy in mind. Keeping Apple from becoming a common item in certain areas, like the mobile phones industry, means that they can continue to grow in that area and be profitable.

Apple are smarter than YOU think. They knew many people would NOT be able to afford this phone WITH that stupid EXPENSIVE and deal-breaking contract that you HAVE to get with the phone. They knewmany would be turned off by this (oh but according to you, Apple was trying to maximise profits from the iPhone right from the start? NO). They left off more deal-breaking features that were already readily available in the industry like 3G and GPS. They obviously did this to have near-future easy iPhone hardware updates which means they actually make MORE money because previous iPhone buyers will perhaps invest in the newer iPhone without Apple having to spend much on R&D because the 3G and GPS integration have already been invested in and the money has been spent! Apple is making money and maximising profits but in a different way that you think.

I think being seen as expensive and a bit of a premium luxury item, Apple wins more than if they had released a cheaper version of the iPhone without the must have deal-breaking contract.

If Mercedes-Benz started making Ford-Focus type cars...who's to say that more people would buy these Mercedes-Benz cars after the name has been degraded? If Apple took over the mobile market (which would be damn hard anyway), then there's only one direction to go once you have such a big share...that's down, meaning losing money. You keep your company profitable in today's world by keeping your products slightly flawed.

Sanyi
12-11-2007, 05:32 AM
...this coming from a guy who implied that a product's sturdiness is inversely proportional to its weight. :shock: (ie the ipod touch isn't as sturdy because it's too heavy... ha?

First of all, you seem to only know the "basics" of economics as you're completely fooled by Apple's marketing strategy. Although like any company, they're out to make the most amount of money they can, of course - but with a long term strategy in mind. Keeping Apple from becoming a common item in certain areas, like the mobile phones industry, means that they can continue to grow in that area and be profitable.

Apple are smarter than YOU think. They knew many people would NOT be able to afford this phone WITH that stupid EXPENSIVE and deal-breaking contract that you HAVE to get with the phone. They knewmany would be turned off by this (oh but according to you, Apple was trying to maximise profits from the iPhone right from the start? NO). They left off more deal-breaking features that were already readily available in the industry like 3G and GPS. They obviously did this to have near-future easy iPhone hardware updates which means they actually make MORE money because previous iPhone buyers will perhaps invest in the newer iPhone without Apple having to spend much on R&D because the 3G and GPS integration have already been invested in and the money has been spent! Apple is making money and maximising profits but in a different way that you think.

I think being seen as expensive and a bit of a premium luxury item, Apple wins more than if they had released a cheaper version of the iPhone without the must have deal-breaking contract.

If Mercedes-Benz started making Ford-Focus type cars...who's to say that more people would buy these Mercedes-Benz cars after the name has been degraded? If Apple took over the mobile market (which would be damn hard anyway), then there's only one direction to go once you have such a big share...that's down, meaning losing money. You keep your company profitable in today's world by keeping your products slightly flawed.Yes the iPhone is less durable because it is heavier: compare any 2 objects and if you drop them from an equal height, the heavier object will always get more damaged. There's this saying: the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

And then you're saying that the early adopters of the iPhone would buy it again because the newer cheaper version had a couple of more features? You're really stretching. The person who has that kind of money would be irked at the inconvenience and wasted time of having to get and set up another iphone. Never mind that wealthy people don't like to lose out in a deal either(more because of pride.)

The price was lowered, the Jobs dude had to come and making an embarrassing publicly apology, give back $100 to the forerunners and this was all in the long-term plan of Apple? Hell no

And as per your last paragraph: do you think that Apple makes more money in the mobil phone industry than nokia, samsung even motorola? And btw, Mercedes does make Ford Focus type cars: it's called the A-Class.

CGMemphis
12-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Gosh man, you guys are arguing over a boutique item and simple "lust factor" item that apple has again gripped the public neck with.

To answer the original post, as I said before, wait on the new iphone. Apple made the first round of the phones to a spec and within the negotiations of the their contract with AT&T. The edge network is horrible. They got the early adopters based on the "apple-ness" and feature set. To get the hardcore phone audience that needs more connectivity and range of network, the new one will fit that bill and they will be in everyones pockets.

Fedfan4life
12-11-2007, 06:54 AM

Look I'm not defending Apple in anyway but I do understand their marketing perspective. Also, tell me a big corporation that wants to do goodness in the world anyway. All they want is to maximize their profits and raise their stock value. I'm not going to go in to this hippie crap of "corporations are destroying the world" but CEO's do have to answer to their stockholders and board members, also make them happy. Check their stock value when they announced the Iphone last year, it grew to a obscene amount.

Apple did reimburse $100 (should be atleast $50 more) because most of the early buyers are Apple fanboys and doing the early price-drop did cause a huge uproar with their users/critics. And doing that, they lost alot of publicity with the new line of Ipods that recently came out.

Fedfan4life
12-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Yes the iPhone is less durable because it is heavier: compare any 2 objects and if you drop them from an equal height, the heavier object will always get more damaged. There's this saying: the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

And as per your last paragraph: do you think that Apple makes more money in the mobil phone industry than nokia, samsung even motorola? And btw, Mercedes does make Ford Focus type cars: it's called the A-Class.

Why do you want to make a big deal about durability?, ofcourse any expensive electronics when you drop them will break eventually. So if you have an Iphone and could care less about money. Drop it all you want, hell even put it on a blender like that guy in Youtube.

I think its great that they released the Iphone. Look at all the upgrades in the cellular market that all companies are releasing these days and in the future. The iphone really raised the bar, I'm not saying its perfect. In fact there's alot of flaws that I'm sure you've read about.

Fedfan4life
12-11-2007, 07:12 AM

Docalex, do you know how much money they've spent on R&D on the Iphone? In the states you can get a free GPS software that uses the cell towers in the cities. You just have to jailbreak the Iphone. Is it available where you are?

Check out this pic for Nintendo and how much money their making. Makes me laugh everytime I see it.

http://i5.tinypic.com/6tnthe0.jpg

Fedace
12-11-2007, 07:30 AM
Has the price come down yet on the Iphone?

bagung
12-11-2007, 01:14 PM
in asia, the i-pnone is not available yet..?