PDA

View Full Version : Classic Tennis

leonidas1982
12-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Classic Tennis on the Tennis Channel. Reliving the memories of Sampras v Courier in the 1995 Australian Open

Legend of Borg
12-14-2007, 08:18 PM
I watched that match. All I can say is, its different today. Just doesen't feel the same. I loved tennis from the 80's and 90's. Everything changed with the coming of 21 century.

mdjenders
12-15-2007, 08:44 AM
I caught the tail end of the third set, specifically Courier's choke serving up a break at 4-3. Sampras was reeling, and all Courier had to do was keep the ball in the court to Pete's backhand. He made a ton of errors this game and the rest is history.

leonidas1982
12-15-2007, 09:09 AM
I watched that match. All I can say is, its different today. Just doesen't feel the same. I loved tennis from the 80's and 90's. Everything changed with the coming of 21 century.

Agree. I do like some of today's players, but it seems the majority of the pros just play to bang the ball around without thought or strategy.

I too bang the ball around, but I'm working on breaking that habit.

swimntennis
12-15-2007, 10:55 AM
I watched the end of the first set (from about 5-5 on) last night. I'm looking forward to the Seles vs. Graf '92 and Federer vs. Safin '05 matches this Sunday night.

TonyB
12-15-2007, 11:57 AM
I've seen that match a few times on the Tennis Channel.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it is fairly boring, quite frankly. All you see is Courier hit to Pete's backhand time and time again, until something happens.

In the first two sets, Pete came in to the net only like 15 times.

Like I said, it was a LONG match, but not the most exciting one I've ever seen. Certainly a classic, though.

I actually prefer the speed and strategy of today's tennis. I know that many people prefer the good old days, but I think the angles and spin that the top rated players are able to achieve nowadays is much more interesting to watch.