PDA

View Full Version : Lippi or Cappello for England manager?

Ross K
12-10-2007, 01:19 PM
That well known ego maniac Mourinho would have been an interesting if unpredictable choice (he has now officially withdrawn his name.) O'Neill just hasn't proved himself enough in the upper levels of the game. Ditto 'Del Boy' Redknapp, and (Lord help us) Alan Curbishley. I do happen to think Hoddle was harshly treated when he was kicked out of the job (for non-footballing reasons) and he is worth considering at least (remember how he got us playing against the likes of Italy and Argentina?) Rightly or wrongly, I can't believe Klinsman, a German, will get the job. Hiddink has a brilliant international record, but doesn't really feature at the top of any betting that I'm aware of. Scolari has done well at Portugal, however, I doubt he'll be asked for a second time by the FA having turned down the 1st offer. For me though, in the end, it comes down to 2 Italian legends. The World cup winning Marcelo Lippi, and the man who has won just about everything else in world football - Fabio Cappello.

So which of these 2 greats should be the next England manager? I'd especially like to hear from people who know a bit about their personalities (they're not so well known in England.) What are they like? How do they differ? Who would be best suited to the job? Or should it actually be someone different?

FWIW, my instinct is Cappello could be the man to lead us back into the forefront of world football.

Feņa14
12-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I agree about Hoddle, I think if he had of kept his opinions to himself then he would of gone on to great things with England.

From day 1 i've wanted Lippi but he's only really been put in the frame over the weekend. What he did with Italy in the World Cup was amazing and Italian football is similar to England in that pretty much all the national side play domestic football in their home Countries, Lippi did wonders with a similar structure so that would be great.

The only problem with him is that he doesn't speak English too well.

Capello isn't too good with the media and is known for having public bust ups with high profile players (hows that going to work with a national side like England?) He also doesn't play the most attractive football, and has no international experience.

Lippi's the man!

mrDamien
12-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah Lippi is the man. But you should know that he can't speak English. Pretty sure his tactic of games can't suit well English football. Most Italian more on defensive.

The best choices are either Scolari or Klinsmann.

Feņa14
12-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah Lippi is the man. But you should know that he can't speak English. Pretty sure his tactic of games can't suit well English football. Most Italian more on defensive.

The best choices are either Scolari or Klinsmann.

Maybe, Capello's English isn't too great either.

The thing with Lippi was that he managed to get Italy so strong at the back (nothing new there) but he also got them playing some fantastic stuff going forward through the likes of Pirlo creating things and Toni. I think he could do a similar thing with England and the players he would have to work with.

I can't see Klinsmann getting it, a German in charge of England? I don't think that would go down too well lol :)

Scolari would only be able to come after Euro 2008 when he has finished with Portugal and alot can happen in that space of time.

It's a big mess! lol

mrDamien
12-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Maybe, Capello's English isn't too great either.

The thing with Lippi was that he managed to get Italy so strong at the back (nothing new there) but he also got them playing some fantastic stuff going forward through the likes of Pirlo creating things and Toni. I think he could do a similar thing with England and the players he would have to work with.

I can't see Klinsmann getting it, a German in charge of England? I don't think that would go down too well lol :)

Scolari would only be able to come after Euro 2008 when he has finished with Portugal and alot can happen in that space of time.

It's a big mess! lol

Do England have players like Pirlo and Toni?? Klinsmann know well of English football as he played under Tottenham belt before.

His the right man.

Feņa14
12-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Do England have players like Pirlo and Toni?? Klinsmann know well of English football as he played under Tottenham belt before.

His the right man.

Yeah your right he could be great.

Unfortunately no we don't have a Pirlo or a Toni aha. You could say Crouch is a bit like Toni, but we don't have a deep lying playmaker like Pirlo, I guess Carrick has SOME Pirlo like qualities but he's nowhere near the quality of Pirlo :(

I guess if he turned us into a poor mans version of the current Italy that wouldn't be a bad thing! 2nd best team in the world? I'd take that.

Ross K
12-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Guys,

Klinsman? Trust me. It will never happen. Scolari? Maybe (hmmm... unlikely)... I still say Fabio's our man! Lippi was definitely a bit lucky with Italy (and I can't see him winning 2 world cups), whereas Capello has CONSISTANTLY won scudettos and Primera League Championships, Champions Leagues, etc.

mrDamien
12-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah your right he could be great.

Unfortunately no we don't have a Pirlo or a Toni aha. You could say Crouch is a bit like Toni, but we don't have a deep lying playmaker like Pirlo, I guess Carrick has SOME Pirlo like qualities but he's nowhere near the quality of Pirlo :(

I guess if he turned us into a poor mans version of the current Italy that wouldn't be a bad thing! 2nd best team in the world? I'd take that.

Don't forget England still has Lampard. He similar to Pirlo. Controlling the midfield. But this fella always dissapointed when playing in big stages like World Cup 2006. He can't even score a goal. Too bad Scholes not in England team else he may had changed the situation and had saved Mclaren job.

Who else besides Lippi, Scolari, Klinsmann, Mourinho and Capello. Any others good choices??

mrDamien
12-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Guys,

Klinsman? Trust me. It will never happen. Scolari? Maybe (hmmm... unlikely)... I still say Fabio's our man! Lippi was definitely a bit lucky with Italy (and I can't see him winning 2 world cups), whereas Capello has CONSISTANTLY won scudettos and Primera League Championships, Champions Leagues, etc.

Okay at least Capello good in handling big names. Don't you think he too fierce and scary??

my_forehand
12-11-2007, 12:01 AM
They really shouldn't have fired McClaren....but here it is:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=489680&cc=4716

Ross K
12-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Okay at least Capello good in handling big names. Don't you think he too fierce and scary??

To tell you the truth, I don't know much about his personality. I'm not sure too many English people are that familiar with him. Anyway, if he's fierce and scary, that's of little consequence. It's whether or not he can transfer his fantastic club record to the international stage. And do you know what? I'm feeling more and more confident that, for once, England are about to have an absolute top class manager who truly knows how to get the best out of the players. Call me ridiculously optimistic, but I hereby predict great things are going to happen.

mrDamien
12-11-2007, 06:06 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't know much about his personality. I'm not sure too many English people are that familiar with him. Anyway, if he's fierce and scary, that's of little consequence. It's whether or not he can transfer his fantastic club record to the international stage. And do you know what? I'm feeling more and more confident that, for once, England are about to have an absolute top class manager who truly knows how to get the best out of the players. Call me ridiculously optimistic, but I hereby predict great things are going to happen.

It seems like almost Capello probably would win the job. And good news too if he manage to get Zola together with him to run England team that would be more fantastic. But please bear in mind no matter how England to have their big manager names or big player names, the team always get stuck at big stages.

Shahar26
12-11-2007, 07:42 PM
English Team = English Coach !!!!

mrDamien
12-11-2007, 09:40 PM
England won't win on big stages anymore except 1966.

Feņa14
12-11-2007, 09:53 PM
England won't win on big stages anymore except 1966.

Why not?

On paper we're one of the best teams in the world. The only positions we don't have genuine world class players are right back and the keeper.

A team with a spine of Terry (the best central defender in the world) Gerrard, Lampard (the best out and out goal scoring central midfielder in the world), Rooney, Owen... and then all the players that fit in around like the 2 Coles, SWP, Ferdinand etc..

On paper there aren't many teams better, it's just finding a way to get the maximum out of them thats the problem.

(also if we could learn to take penalties, we would be sorted! :))

leonidas1982
12-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Why not?

On paper we're one of the best teams in the world. The only positions we don't have genuine world class players are right back and the keeper.

A team with a spine of Terry (the best central defender in the world) Gerrard, Lampard (the best out and out goal scoring central midfielder in the world), Rooney, Owen... and then all the players that fit in around like the 2 Coles, SWP, Ferdinand etc..

On paper there aren't many teams better, it's just finding a way to get the maximum out of them thats the problem.

I must say that I admire your passion, after so many let downs. I want to believe that my passion is not fleeting. But with the staff at the FA still at the helm, I will remain distant (the summer, apart from Roland and Wimbledon, will be boring in any regard).

Feņa14
12-11-2007, 10:20 PM
I must say that I admire your passion, after so many let downs. I want to believe that my passion is not fleeting. But with the staff at the FA still at the helm, I will remain distant (the summer, apart from Roland and Wimbledon, will be boring in any regard).

True, next summer is certainly going to be missing something.

I'm not a massive England fan by and stretch though, I like to see us do well but like most people i'm more loyal to club than Country. If you asked a League One team supporter if he would prefer for his side to get promoted or have a great cup run to the later stages in the FA Cup ... or for England to be at Euro 2008 and do well... Most would choose our clubs, right?

I, like you feel distant from England and a disappointing result is more of a source of humour than anything else. England drawing 0-0 with Macedonia was funny! Chelsea losing to Villa earler in the season was gutting, and hurt for the next few days.. likewise when Liverpool and Arsenal lost at the weekend, it made my week! My club will always mean more than Country when it comes to football. If someone said to me you can either see Chelsea lift the European Cup, or England the World Cup before you die... I'd pick Chelsea in a heart beat.

Ross K
12-11-2007, 10:25 PM

It should be like that. But alas, all the top coaches in the English Premiership are from other countries (Ferguson - Scotland, Wenger - France, Benitez - Spain, etc.) Plus also, often these teams have only a small amount of English players (Arsenal being a particular disgrace in this regard.)

As for Capello, it's worth noting that in England, Italians are considered with a certain warmth and affection, as well as respect for their footballing knowledge. This, I believe, was laid down in the first instance by the very charismatic Gianluca Vialli (Chelsea player then manager), and carried on at the same club by the exemplary Gianfranco Zola. Finally, there is also of course a significant English-Italian population in our major cities.

mrDamien
12-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Why not?

On paper, yes England are very strong. That's what everyone said during last world cup. England would defintely have a chance to win with all the names that you had mentioned earlier but in the end looked what's happening. England went out of the World Cup 3-1 on penalties after their quarter-final with Portugal ended 0-0.

Why not Alan Shearer :confused:. We all know the best of him.

mrDamien
12-11-2007, 11:52 PM

Alan Shearer :).

Ross K
12-12-2007, 02:07 AM
Alan Shearer :). Shearer has NEVER managed any kind of team before. I seriously doubt he could manage his own breakfast! He's an ex-England player and TV 'pundit' (kind of expert.) And you know what I think of most of these ex-player, TV know alls?... Here's a little story... Brentford, a 3rd tier, useless, amateurish team who are 2 divisions down from the Premier league, hired ex-England Captain and hard-as-nails central defender, Terry Butcher, last year in April. Fast forward to this morning, and guess what? He's got the sack!... Yep, Mr. expert, Mr. TV pundit. Mr. ex-England Captain has got the bullet for being not even up to that lowly job!

my_forehand
12-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Why not?

And Hargreaves :)

leonidas1982
12-12-2007, 05:52 AM
True, next summer is certainly going to be missing something.

I'm not a massive England fan by and stretch though, I like to see us do well but like most people i'm more loyal to club than Country. If you asked a League One team supporter if he would prefer for his side to get promoted or have a great cup run to the later stages in the FA Cup ... or for England to be at Euro 2008 and do well... Most would choose our clubs, right?

I, like you feel distant from England and a disappointing result is more of a source of humour than anything else. England drawing 0-0 with Macedonia was funny! Chelsea losing to Villa earler in the season was gutting, and hurt for the next few days.. likewise when Liverpool and Arsenal lost at the weekend, it made my week! My club will always mean more than Country when it comes to football. If someone said to me you can either see Chelsea lift the European Cup, or England the World Cup before you die... I'd pick Chelsea in a heart beat.

Looking back, I've been more active for the national side than club. Although, the Blues' FA cup victory was nice. What a nice exchange by Lamps and Drogs, I will miss that partnership next year.

mrDamien
12-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Shearer has NEVER managed any kind of team before. I seriously doubt he could manage his own breakfast! He's an ex-England player and TV 'pundit' (kind of expert.) And you know what I think of most of these ex-player, TV know alls?... Here's a little story... Brentford, a 3rd tier, useless, amateurish team who are 2 divisions down from the Premier league, hired ex-England Captain and hard-as-nails central defender, Terry Butcher, last year in April. Fast forward to this morning, and guess what? He's got the sack!... Yep, Mr. expert, Mr. TV pundit. Mr. ex-England Captain has got the bullet for being not even up to that lowly job!

Alan Shearer is a legend of English football althu he didn't had much succession on World Cup and Euro. He's one of the most prolific strikers of all time. Newcastle would like to make him as their team manager. He know well of English football and all their culture. Althu he don't have any experience in managing a club/country but look at Klinsmann. He able to made it for Germany too. The FA should rethink of this rather than hire non English man as their manager.

Feņa14
12-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Alan Shearer is a legend of English football althu he didn't had much succession on World Cup and Euro. He's one of the most prolific strikers of all time. Newcastle would like to make him as their team manager. He know well of English football and all their culture. Althu he don't have any experience in managing a club/country but look at Klinsmann. He able to made it for Germany too. The FA should rethink of this rather than hire non English man as their manager.

Your right in what you say, no doubts. It's a real risk though, one that they can't afford to take after a disastrous era under McLaren. The FA are just looking for the best man for the job, and as it stands at the moment, the 2 Italians are better qualified.

mrDamien
12-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Your right in what you say, no doubts. It's a real risk though, one that they can't afford to take after a disastrous era under McLaren. The FA are just looking for the best man for the job, and as it stands at the moment, the 2 Italians are better qualified.

Out of the 2, the best choices still Capello. Like you said, hope he could turn his club succession into nation. A very successful manager in charge of clubs but weird he had been sacked by Real Madrid after the trophy.

leonidas1982
12-12-2007, 10:17 PM
someone tell me "that there is a replacement for Barwick", please.

mrDamien
12-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Capello the man for England.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/13122007/58/international-fa-approve-capello-appointment.html