PDA

View Full Version : Smartphone vs. regular phone

lilxjohnyy
12-10-2007, 04:50 PM
im thinking about getting a new phone after my contract with verizon expires. at first i was thinking about getting this phone. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3176
but im not sure if im going to go online or email. Should i just go for a regular phone? whats the advantages of smart phone ?

mrHan
12-11-2007, 05:26 AM
I have a similiar phone. I use it for my email, internet, manage my calender and as an MP3 player. I listen to my MP3s via bluetooth stereo which for about $50-$60 you can get an good unit. The downside of this device is the battery life (about 3 hours under intense use) and the slow processor speed (200mhz). There are several other phones out there with a 400mhz processor like the VX6800 and you can see a big difference in performance.

Also, HTC is ready to release a bunch of new phones which comes standard with a 400mhz processor. I would suggest holding off on this one for now and get the vx6800 when the price drops.

jmsx521
12-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Also, the smart phone scans your ear (while you're talking) and analyzes if you have ear-infection or not. If your ear is not clean, the smart phone cleans it with a cotton swab too... again, all of that while you're talking on the phone!

UW_Husky88
12-18-2007, 06:53 PM
I was wondering, if you don't need the internet and email options that much, but want the scheduler and stuff, is a smartphone still worth it? I hate all of verizon's qwerty normal phones because they all have some problems i.e. the enV being too big, and the u740 just being terrible, so is there anyway to not have to pay for the extras such as the data plan, but get those phones?

Bodacious DVT
12-18-2007, 07:01 PM
I was wondering, if you don't need the internet and email options that much, but want the scheduler and stuff, is a smartphone still worth it? I hate all of verizon's qwerty normal phones because they all have some problems i.e. the enV being too big, and the u740 just being terrible, so is there anyway to not have to pay for the extras such as the data plan, but get those phones?

I love my u740? I don't see why its so terrible, I really haven't had any problems with it.

and you can get a calendar on almost any phone by VW, just ask at the store/look online

krz
12-18-2007, 08:12 PM
IF you go for a smartphone I would suggest something like a pocketPC phone.

I'm currently using the xv6700 its a year old but it does a lot more than the newer blackberry's, Q's. It's got WiFi and since it runs windows there are a lot of great applications to install for it.
WiFi can be used WITHOUT the dataplan which is great.

Some other models to consider would be the samsung i730 but the best ones are probably the i760 or xv6800 if you can afford them.

UW_Husky88
12-18-2007, 08:14 PM
I love my u740? I don't see why its so terrible, I really haven't had any problems with it.

and you can get a calendar on almost any phone by VW, just ask at the store/look online

you're one of the minority that loves his or her u740. The majority of people regret it and end up changing it for the enV or a better one. But do all PDAs require a data plan? I really think I can use one, but I don't need internet.

lilxjohnyy
12-18-2007, 08:18 PM
if u get verizon smartphone ... do u have to get an individual plan, apart from rest of family ??

krz
12-18-2007, 08:22 PM
you can use a smartphone on a family plan. You don't need the dataplan HOWEVER, it is very easy to accidentally use it. I would suggest deactivating evdo and asking a verizon rep to block data just incase.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
12-18-2007, 08:45 PM
I have a similiar phone. I use it for my email, internet, manage my calender and as an MP3 player. I listen to my MP3s via bluetooth stereo which for about $50-$60 you can get an good unit. The downside of this device is the battery life (about 3 hours under intense use) and the slow processor speed (200mhz). There are several other phones out there with a 400mhz processor like the VX6800 and you can see a big difference in performance.

Also, HTC is ready to release a bunch of new phones which comes standard with a 400mhz processor. I would suggest holding off on this one for now and get the vx6800 when the price drops.

Horrible...for that reason alone, get another phone that has the same features but a longer battery life. Even under intense use, a phone of that calibur should last longer than 3 hours...your paying 200+ dollars for it?

Serve em Up
12-19-2007, 09:19 AM
I have a Treo with MS mobile OS. I love it. It hooks up to my business exchange server (email, outlook calendar), It has voice activated dialing. The only downside is it has a fairly short battery life. Average use conditions about a day and a half.

Bodacious DVT
12-19-2007, 02:01 PM
I have a Treo with MS mobile OS. I love it. It hooks up to my business exchange server (email, outlook calendar), It has voice activated dialing. The only downside is it has a fairly short battery life. Average use conditions about a day and a half.

my mom has a Treo. she likes it but i've spent hours fixing it to sync properly with Palm desktop. Also note that Palm's tech support is located somewhere in India and is horrible.

the Treo is a great phone though

PROTENNIS63
12-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I have a 8525 from AT&T. Nice phone. I really don't use many of the features though. I mainly go on the internet and check e-mails. They have a newer version which tilts, looks cool. As for Verizon, try the new LG phone. Looks cool with the touch screen and keyboard. Forgot what it is called.