PDA

View Full Version : If Agassi or Sampras played in Fed's shoes

raiden031
12-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Just wondering how you think they'd perform if 1) Sampras or 2) Agassi turned pro at the same time Federer did, and Fed never existed. I'm not talking about both at the same time, but how would each one do one at a time with the current players. Think about the change in court speeds during this era and racquet technologies. Would Sampras still dominate wimbledon? Would the slowdown at wimbledon and the lack of Sampras (and Federer) make Agassi a more dominant force? How many slams would each have won up to this point, compared to Fed's 12?

lambielspins
12-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Agassi is not nearly consistent enough to dominate the way Federer does. Agassi at 26 had only 3 slams, he would probably still have about 3 slams today. Sampras is harder to say, he could perhaps dominate the non-French slams the way Federer does today, but the slowed down Wimbledon would make it harder for him then the old fast Wimbledon, and even he suffered some strange losses in slams not neccessarily even to main opponents (eg-Yzaga at 94 U.S Open, Korda at 97 U.S Open, Kucera at 98 Australian Open).

superman1
12-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Agassi would probably be even better with this technology and these court surfaces. Tennis players overall seem to be a lot more focused these days so I think Agassi would have joined that mindset and wouldn't have had so many distractions - plus, that cheesy rock star stuff just doesn't work any more. Sampras might have a very different game. I doubt anyone would have weaned him off of the two handed backhand, and he might have ended up being a baseliner. Honestly, I think Agassi would be #1.

laurie
12-11-2007, 04:59 AM
Agassi would probably be even better with this technology and these court surfaces. Tennis players overall seem to be a lot more focused these days so I think Agassi would have joined that mindset and wouldn't have had so many distractions - plus, that cheesy rock star stuff just doesn't work any more. Sampras might have a very different game. I doubt anyone would have weaned him off of the two handed backhand, and he might have ended up being a baseliner. Honestly, I think Agassi would be #1.

Not totally sure about this. I think Nalbandian is a good comparison to Agassi and he is neither number 1 and has never won a slam title. There are too many intangibles to predict what could happen.

We know what happened with Andre and he did very well.

CGMemphis
12-11-2007, 05:08 AM
I think Sampras would do very well in todays game. Tennis about how you play the ball and strategy and Sampras was king of that. Agassi went through a personal reformation, and considering if he went the through the same today I thik he would have held his own. #1? Maybe not, but top 5 consistently yes.

Tennis cycles with a group of good players, then a drop off every 5 to 7 years. We are there again.

lambielspins
12-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Honestly, I think Agassi would be #1.

:rolleyes: :lol: